1889 Wirth facsimilie

Le Fanu

I know this should be in Tarot Books and Media as it is ostensibly a book but I know it would appeal to many people because of the cards.

The Book Depository lists an edition of Oswald Wirth's Tarot of the Magicians which is going to be published ("268 days to go!") and comes with facsimilie pull out cards!

"Tarot of the Magicians" by Swiss occultist artist and author Oswald Wirth was first published in Paris in 1927, and a Weiser edition was later released in 1985.Long unavailable, the book is back in print in a beautiful new package with full-color pull-out cards reproducing Wirth's 1889 tarot deck. With a new introduction by bestselling tarot author Mary K. Greer, "Tarot of the Magicians" offers tarot enthusiasts and students of the occult an in-depth and authoritative analysis of one of the most beautiful and evocative of all modern tarot decks.In this important tarot work of the Major Arcana, Wirth combines the imagery and symbolism from Alchemy, Freemasonry, Rosicrucianism, and the magical heritage of Egypt and Chaldea, and explores the astronomical (rather than strictly zodiacal) associations for the Major Arcana cards.

It will be wonderful to have Wirth's 1889 cards as they were published. I shall definitely want this... It's great to see them trying to re-establish Wirth's importance.

vee

This is AWESOME. Thanks for the info. :)

Cerulean

I think that is Mary Greer's edited book, the one

where she pursuaded Weiser to include the 1889 deck.

I'll search for the link, but she talked about it last year and also had asked us all here for information or thoughts.

If it's the one I am thinking of, your wonderful announcement is the deck-book that I have been eager to have since I first heard about it.

Link to be added later.

Thank you for being the first to spot it, Le Fanu!

Cerulean

Metafizzypop

I don't know much about Oswald Wirth, but I'd like to learn about him. Would anybody suggest this book as a good intro for someone who knows very little about Wirth?

Teheuti

Yes - it should be a good book for those who have at least the tiniest bit of knowledge about Tarot and even better for those who are more knowledgeable. My intro gives some background on Wirth and helps put the material in context. It also suggests ways for approaching Wirth's stuff. Skip over what doesn't make sense, and then return and read the book later and you'll be surprised how it all falls into place. It's a book that grows as you grow: simple at one level but very deep and complex at another level.

I believe the cards are actually going to be on glossy pages that you cut out - but they may have changed their plans. I sent them some suggestions to include on making your own deck out of the illustrations.

Metafizzypop

Thanks, Teheuti, that sounds very good. Sounds like something that would definitely expand my tarot horizons.

I'm also getting curious about the cards. Those are always a source of interest.......

Wendywu

One I'll be getting when it comes out - thanks Leffy :)

Le Fanu

Yes - it should be a good book for those who have at least the tiniest bit of knowledge about Tarot and even better for those who are more knowledgeable. My intro gives some background on Wirth and helps put the material in context. It also suggests ways for approaching Wirth's stuff. Skip over what doesn't make sense, and then return and read the book later and you'll be surprised how it all falls into place. It's a book that grows as you grow: simple at one level but very deep and complex at another level.

I believe the cards are actually going to be on glossy pages that you cut out - but they may have changed their plans. I sent them some suggestions to include on making your own deck out of the illustrations.
Thank you; it's a great idea that his importance is being readdressed with a new edition of the book. I have an older 70s copy but it would be great to have your intro and contextualisation.

I am especially excited about the cards. It's good that the publishers recognise the importance of getting decks out exactly as they were originally. Even if we have to cut the cards out I don't mind. I'm used to trimming. I have confidence in my ability with scissors...

Freddie

This sounds great and will have to get it as I am a huge Wirth fan.

Freddie