a new book on TdM reading

avalonian

I have left a review on Amazon UK (I have read it and then started to read it again!)

:) :) :)

Madame Squee

I purchased the book last week, and I mostly read it at bedtime on my phone (scared of dropping the iPad on my face, lol). I've been enjoying the book so much that I ordered the deck today. Happy, happy, joy, joy!!! :D

Yoav Ben-Dov

now in a paperback edition

the book is now available in paperback - see a separate message here

936014_551010204992654_410216670_n.png

greatdane

Congratulations on this book!

I am ordering it from Amazon. May I ask does it apply to basically all TdM decks or can it be used for any TdM? I understand the CBD is the deck it is really about, just wondering about it's application to other Marseille decks.

conversus

Pardon the rude reply, but its a great introduction to any of the Marseille pattern. I think that you will find it inviting and quite helpful.

I don't have the kindle edition--i like the idea of being able to give a book away, but the print is worth the wait!

As you see above, even the Pope approves!!!!

CED

Lee

I am ordering it from Amazon. May I ask does it apply to basically all TdM decks or can it be used for any TdM? I understand the CBD is the deck it is really about, just wondering about it's application to other Marseille decks.
Hi GD, in my opinion the book could be used for any TdM. Sometimes the specific details discussed relate only to decks based on the Conver (like the CBD), but if you're using non-Conver decks, you could easily ignore those parts and still get the gist of the book.

It's a very nice book and worth reading.

greatdane

Thank you, Lee and Conversus

The book sounded very intriguing but it kept mentioning the CBD deck (which I plan on getting as well), but was just wondering if the basics would apply to all TdM's. Thank you both!

Yoav Ben-Dov

thank you, Conversus and Lee - such things are more reliable when written by somebody else than the author in question. but as you already clarified the point, i can add that the CBD cards were initially meant to illustrate the book which was meant to be about generic TdM, but also as a basis for reading Tarot in general.
what happened is that once i started working on them, well - the cards have their power - they drew me in and i had to put more work and resources into the restoration, until they were satisfied and ready to release (in my feeling it was the cards that released me, not the other way around). and then, the close examination of the cards while working on the lines and shapes also revealed new aspects and dimensions in them - which were there, but very difficult to perceive in the worn and faded originals. so now i had to put these in the book, which meant another year of work on the text before submitting it to translation and copy editing. this is why the cards were published two years before the book.

Le Fanu

Reading the book there's something I find really odd...

(p 60); "Most of the cards at the beginning of the suit show a large figure filling the card. Around the middle of its height there usually appears a clear horizontal line or strip dividing it into a top and bottom part." ?? I assume the suit here refers to the pip cards. The Ace shows a large figure (cup, sword) filling the card but am I missing something. Do the twos and threes etc? It says cards.

Not clear on this.

Plus

"Most of the cards in the last part of the suit show a different division of the vertical axis. At the bottom of the card there is some happening taking place on the ground, while the top shows some object in the air or the sky." (p 61) is this the suit cards? I don't see this in the eights, nines and tens.

I must be misreading this.

Yoav Ben-Dov

hi le fanu

the text that you are referring to appears in the chapter 5 titled "the major suit", so this is the suit referred to, not the pip cards which are treated in later chapters.

when you look at most of the cards at the beginning of the suit, you see a large figure: magician, empress, hermit. also you can see almost always some horizontal marking in the middle (bosom area). sometimes it is very sharp (e.g. the chariot, although the figure is a bit smaller). in other cards it is softer, like a belt etc.

the lover card is exceptional, i also refer to this.

at the last part you see heaven (sky) and earth (ground) - star, moon, sun, judgement, and also the lover. and the figures are small.

it is also not a "sharp" division, as i explain in the section about order and chaos.

as you cite the page numbers, i understand that you are reading the print edition. note that all this appears in pages (double spreads) which are clearly marked with running titles "chapter 5 - the major suit".

hope this makes things clearer!