A Marseille Question - Reading with Majors, Aces & court only?

moon_unit

Hi

I've been reading with the Marseille for about 3 months, starting off with Jodorowski's book then learning to just trust my instinct and read on my own. I am using the Noblet deck which I feel more comfortable with for some reason than the Jodo deck I started with. As has become apparent - the Marseille is a more flexible/intuitive deck than the RWS - I still have an issue reading the pips. I've stuck to the Majors till now, occasionally dipping into the pips and hitting a brick wall.

My question is this, as I don't think I can get my head around the pips yet, would it be weird to read for the moment with - The Majors, the court cards and the aces and leaving the pips aside? Has anyone worked like this?

Thanks!

BSwett

Not weird at all. It's a valid technique as is Majors only readings. I personally think that if you can learn and use the court cards, the rest of the pips are comparatively easy though. Courts are the crux of the deck for me. For starters, I like numbers way more than I like royalty...

Check out 'The Open Reading' by Yoav Ben-dov. You probably have heard it mentioned if you've lurked around here. It's fantastic. He takes the essence of Jodorowsky and destiles it into a much more approachable beverage. Plus his deck is exquisite ;)

B.

Yves Le Marseillais

Programmation

Hello all,

My two... €uros:

As a magician who plays with more and more balls, the more you use balls/cards the more you add pieces to your internal programm.

I use Numerology since ..... many many years and it's same process:
I add numbers and my brain learn to classify, separate, reconnect them together as to find the crucial link between them.

Same for Astrology.

But at the very end of this process one or two numbers definite this human and you/I feel it (before any conscient calculation) before using your/my pencil.

So, don't worry to use Pips, Courts or not. It is not mandatory.
It's an option only that require more time, training and brain "education".

Some are able to read Tarot with two or three cards and it works well for them.

Intuition is result of programmation of your brain PLUS a drop off action about all you read/learned.
And I think that some of us are more well fitted by nature.

Salutations from Marseille City,

Yves

Lee

Hi moon unit,

You may want to read the book "Jung and Tarot" by Sallie Nichols. It was one of the first books in English to focus on the TdM. Nichols reads the cards in exactly the way you outline, using Majors, Courts, and Aces, for a 42-card deck, and she uses a modified 9-card Celtic Cross spread.

It seems to me that it's a perfectly fine way to read. After all, many readers use only the Majors, so the 42-card deck certainly offers more variety than that.

Maskelyne

I did something similar with Marseilles decks for a time. The deck is separated into two subdecks - the trumps, courts, and aces in one, and the pips in the other. The trumps represent situations or events, the aces are elemental energies, and the courts are people. For each court card that comes up, two pip cards are chosen. These are use to delineate the character or situation of the person represented.

Thoughtful

I did something similar with Marseilles decks for a time. The deck is separated into two subdecks - the trumps, courts, and aces in one, and the pips in the other. The trumps represent situations or events, the aces are elemental energies, and the courts are people. For each court card that comes up, two pip cards are chosen. These are use to delineate the character or situation of the person represented.

I do like the sound of this method am going to try it today and see how it goes for me. Do you shuffle the pips cards each time a court comes up, or do you shuffle the pips before you begin and pull them from the top of pile in order.
Hope l have made sense here :laugh:

Catgirl

I am very excited about the Marseilles Cat deck that is coming out next month (I love the artwork), but still feel like I need full illustrations to do readings. I may do something like this until I am more comfortable with all the cards.

Maskelyne

I do like the sound of this method am going to try it today and see how it goes for me. Do you shuffle the pips cards each time a court comes up, or do you shuffle the pips before you begin and pull them from the top of pile in order.
Hope l have made sense here :laugh:
I cut the already shuffled deck and take the top and bottom cards, but as always, any method of choosing cards will work.

Thoughtful

Thanks Maskelyne will definitely give this a try :)

moon_unit

Hello all

Thanks so much for the awesome responses. Loads to digest and work with here!

Many thanks