What was the first deck you owned?

FantasyWorld

I used to use my mom's Rider Waite when I was about 18 but the 1st one I ever bought was about 5 yrs ago and it was the Woo-Woo:D

mike gorth

I was 12 or 13 and it was the Universal Waite. I bought it myself

Emily

I was 15 when I bought a 1JJ Swiss, there wasn't much choice in those days, and I was lucky to find a shop that sold decks. I saved up again and bought the companion book for the deck - I didn't take to the deck although I always knew where it was, at the time I didn't have the time to properly study it and the years went on.

It was only 4 years ago when I was 35 that I saw the Rider Waite and connected with the artwork - I consider the Rider Waite as my first deck because it was the one I learned on. :)

Kyrea Gold

I was 27 and had received a gift card for a bookstore. I got the Hanson Roberts deck and studied on a 3 day train ride....by the time I arrived at my destination I was hooked and off to the bookstore to buy more books.

tarotbear

My first deck - which I still own, BTW - is the Robin Wood Tarot. I bartered for it from the astrologer who owned the bookstore for making her a robe. :smoker:

BodhiSeed

I bought my first deck when I was about 38 (the Osho Zen). I bought it for the art only, as I hadn't a clue what the tarot was all about. I was about 43 when I finally became interested in finding out what tarot was and how to use it. I bought the Hanson Roberts as my first deck.
Many Blessings,
Bodhran

jadecat

The Universal Waite was my first desk, purchased in my forties. Next came the Tarot of the Cat People, followed by the Enchanted Tarot. I fell in love with the incredible variety of art presented in tarot cards. Forty-some decks later, my last purchase was Tarot of the Wild Spirit. The two I keep coming back to for readings are the Robin Wood & Tarot of the Old Path.

jadecat

Simone

My very first deck was an oracle - L'oracle de Belline, and I read a lot with them. They have the rounded corners and the gilded edges (a long time I have not see that version around), and I still love them dearly.

I bought them myself after having been introduced to them by a friend of mine.

My first tarot deck was the Grimaud Tarot de Marseilles which I bought for a Tarot class I took. I did not learn much about tarot there ;) but a lot about other divination and intuition related things.

My next deck was a Thoth, and with that one I really started to read. :D

tinkerbell

first ever deck.....

i asked for a tarot deck for xmas some years ago, (i.m 35 now!).
my mum and dad got me a copy of "the celtic tarot" set by courtney davis.
whilst i loved the majors and her style of artwork, i couldn't get to grips with the unillustrated pips so i didn't use it much.
i must have been about 22 when i got it and loaned it to a friend. she had it for months. when i eventually got it back my friend and i fell out and somehow the energy of the cards seemed to change.
despite doing a very positive reading the night before my driving test (the cards were very encouraging and i passed first time!), i just felt that bad vibes had been transferred from this girl, (we never made up) into the cards.
one night, after lots of alcohol (!), my partner and i decided that we'd have to take action and burnt the cards in the back garden!
i know people may think this drastic but i felt much better afterwards. having not been a particularly serious student of tarot at that time, i never felt the need to replace them until last august when i decided to choose a deck myself and start my tarot studies.
i chose the robin wood (which i adore!) having spent HOURS trawling the decks here at aeclectic before i made my decision.
i'd like to replace my copy of the celtic tarot one day as it was never the decks fault it was burned..........maybe one day i'll give a new copy a good home!!!
tink x

WolfSpirit

My first deck must have been the Lovers Tarot by Jane Lyle. This was then a majors only deck of huge cards, and I even tried to read with it - I enjoyed that but it was more playing really. I bought it because I was a member of a Book club where I had to buy a book every 3 months, and they did not have one book that I liked, so I decided to buy this (they normally did not carry tarot decks and I had not heard much about tarot anyway)
Later I bought an RWS which was then the only deck they had in the shop. And it still took much longer before I learnt a way I could actually use the deck.