Baroque Bohemian Cats' Tarot Question

Little Baron

It wouldn't bother me that much if it was just on the front; it is only a problem because it is detectable from the back.

I wasn't so bothered by the Druidcraft (the positioning is all over the bloody place on the deck I have) probably because I didn't feel quite so drawn to that deck when I unravelled it as I do with this one. Don't get me wrong, I like it, but in comparison to this one, it does have a few of those inconsistancies I mentioned - a few cards I don't like etc etc. This one is so perfect throughout that I just want that one little problem, which is no fault of the artists, to be ironed out. It is a small 'personality trait', I know. I hope I am not being too fussy.

LB

wizzle

Magic realist press is Baba Prague, as I understand it. I'm sure you'll get a replacement card.

Aren't the cards absolutely enchanting? I think they'd be wonderful for a client who was leary about tarot cards or a young woman. Even if the querant is mostly listening to what you say, there is a comfort factor in seeing pleasant, non-threatening images. At least for me.

They read very well for me once I can get over the marvelous images. They are very very well thought out with wonderful detailing.

Glad to know you are safe. I hope all those dear to you are as well, LB

Little Baron

Yes, Wizzle. They are absolutely enchanting. And I agree that they would be great for someone that is slightly worried about tarot, in general. There is nothing in the cards that would phase anyone and I am also pleased in the way they chose to represent the 'Death' card.

I awoke really early this morning and couldn't sleep. I took the deck and looked through it in bed. Singling out the different courts and then looking at them in their 'families'.

I was struck by the artwork again, as I have been every time I look at them. I had seen the cards online before and was impressed, but the scans just do not do them justice in the slightest. They really come to life when they are in your hands. I havn't done a reading with them yet but I will probably have a go later today.

Favourites?
After reading a post by Baba elsewhere about the cat blind in it's left eye, I have developed a sentiment for the '5 of Pentacles' and '4 of Swords'.

For absolutle beauty:
8 of Pentacles
Page of Swords (Yes, I can understand why you are in love with him, Wizzle)
King of Wands
Justice
The High Priestess
The Moon

LB

Edited to add: And how could I forget The Star

Little Baron

Just received a very prompt response from Karen; she said she will send a replacement.

LB

baba-prague

Replacing is usually no problem - we keep all the spare cards just in case. But I am trying to work out exactly what happened with this card, I think the sheet may have slipped when it was being cut? Any info (by email I guess is best) is great as we pass it all on to our printers. It's very common to get one or two mistakes in thousands of decks - but the more we can feed back the more we can limit the likelihood of it happening again.
(In fact, Alex is just now trying to work this out - he says is it definitely this one card only, as if the sheet slipped it would have affected other cards?) It's a bit of a mystery - I think it has to be a slipped sheet. If you have a minute please email me any more info you have, it would really be appreciated.

By the way, I have to say that the Ten of Pentacles is one of my favourite cards from the deck.

Oh - and I should say that when it comes to the question of photography/drawing, yes, the cats are all photographed, but we do "redraw" a lot - basically altering the photographs - when we need to (often to get the right expression we have to do some work by hand - expressions are important in these images.)

Little Baron

Hi Karen

Thanks again for replacing the card. I sent an email with details, but to help you with the problem a little more, I can send a scan of the card, so you can see - would be easier than trying to explain it so it is understandable. My scanner is not set up at the moment, but I will get on to it right away.

LB

Little Baron

I have tried to send the attatchments but at the moment, my email is not sending them. I will try doing it from one of my web-based accounts.

Another thing I forgot to mention before that also appeals to me is the lack of numbers on the majors. The endless debate about the switching of Justice and Strength is irrelevant here as you can stack the cards in whatever order you like.

Another thing that often annoys me is the words on the cards. I am not a fan of keywords, even though, these days, the Thoth keywords do not bother me so much. But one thing I don't like is when the font just 'doesn't go' with the presentation of the artwork and sticks out like a sore thumb. I feel like that about the names on more recent clones of the Rider Waite, such as the Radiant. In the BBC deck, the font is just right; it is bold but not so much that it detracts from the image. Also, I like the fact that the names have not been included on the minors - just the symbols.

Finding more that I like about this deck with every look. Hope to do one reading later with it.

Best,
LB

Edited to add: I have just sent the scans through, Karen, so I hope they get to you okay.

baba-prague

LittleBuddha said:
Another thing I forgot to mention before that also appeals to me is the lack of numbers on the majors. The endless debate about the switching of Justice and Strength is irrelevant here as you can stack the cards in whatever order you like.

I think I now know what happened. I think one of the mis-cuts (probably an early trial) somehow got put into your deck. As I say, we gather up EVERYTHING that the printer has left over, but the mis-cuts from the first few sheets I usually just release (or vaguely intend to collage or decoupage - not that I ever do!) But a scan would be good - the guys at the printers are always happiest to really see any mistakes that get through.

On the numbers, yes, we agonised a bit about numbering with Tarot of Prague, then decided that it's much better not to number at all. I do think anyone who uses numerology in their readings in any serious way will know their preferred number system off by heart anyway. We are working on two decks currently, and neither will be numbered - OR have the dreaded keywords (which I must say irritate me too - apart from anything else if you want to read off the "usual" meanings it's not helpful if the querent gets fixated on the keyword and doesn't really take in the interpretation you feel is right at the time.)

I'm really glad that you are clicking with the deck - it's a real "reader" but it's sometimes hard for people to get past the fact that it's very theatrical and fantastical and see that it really DOES read clearly too. I am very fond of it indeed - I put it aside for a while then picked it up again and realised how pleased with it I am (Alex too.) I feel the 'cats' of this deck are quite strong little creatures in fact. Appropriately for cats, come to think of it :)

Little Baron

'Simply the Best'

I just received the little package - thanks Karen and Alex.

And what a lovely little package to arrive on a Monday morning.

The replaced card is perfect.

Also, thanks also for the other extras (including the signed one) and the beautiful '7 of Pentacles' postcard - a firm favourite in the deck and great to see it so large and full of detail. Will have to frame these ones!

Thanks also for the promotional cards - 'The Fantastic Menagerie Tarot' looks very interesting. What a great 'Emperor'!

Just wanted to take this moment to comment on the care and efficiency of the Magic Realist Press; like has been mentioned about Jeanette at Tarot Garden, it is really nice to deal with a 'person'; someone that understands the needs of the people they sell to and work with. You have truely brightened up my day.

Best,
LB

Little Baron

As we mentioned before, a release (leaving spare cards in places for others to find) would be a very exciting idea, but I am affraid I am not going to let any of these little beauties out of my grasp.

LB