Larimar

Sea Sprite

Greetings!

I'm new to the forum and to crystals. I just recently got a piece of Larimar and would like to know more about it. What is it used for and how should I cleanse, charge, program it? :)

DarkElectric

Larimar stone!
Also known as Pectolite.

What a lovely rock! I love the sky blue colour, and I find it has a very peaceful energy. It is used for clarity, finding inner wisdom, manifestation, and purging unwanted entities from one's environment. As far as cleansing it, let's ask Hermit about this one!
Charging and programming it.. after cleansing, raise energy, and holding your larimar in whichever hand is your power (sending) hand, think about what it is you want the stone to help you with, basically, tell it what you need it to do. Then send that into your stone. It helps to visualise the purpose you have in mind for it while you do this. Hope I was able to help, even a little :)

the hermit

Sea Sprite said:
Greetings!

I'm new to the forum and to crystals. I just recently got a piece of Larimar and would like to know more about it. What is it used for and how should I cleanse, charge, program it? :)

Cleansing larimar can be problematic depending on whether or not it's of the fibrous variety.
It is from the Silicate family of rocks but some specimens can be very brittle. If you have the fibrous type stone please take care in handling it as the fibers can break off in the skin and be quite painful and hard to remove from flesh.

So as to avoid possible damage to any stone but the hardest Quartz crystals, I would suggest not using water for purification. This is particularly true for beginners who are still learning to identify stones and their uses, as well as the cautions one may need to use when handling them.

There are many suggestions and methods for cleansing stones and other tools via often complex rituals, but the simplest way, especially for beginners is to just let the sun do the work for you by putting any stone or crystal in the sunlight.

In his book, Scott Cunningham recommends that one should leave the stone in direct external sunlight (as opposed to indoors behind a window--Scott feels that as some of the sun's rays are blocked by the glass, it is better to put the stone outside where it will receive a "full" dose of sunlight) for 1 day, 3 days or as much as a week, depending on how the stone "feels" to you. He also recommends that you not leave it out at night. Scott and other authors also recommend that ALL stones be ritually cleansed.

Personally, I don’t worry about “losing” sunlight nor do I “bring” stones in for the evening. Instead I put stones in a south facing window where it will receive both sunlight and moonlight (especially with the full moon approaching at the end of this week). This is especially useful in the Fall and Winter when it can and often does rain here in my part of “sunny” California.

I often put the stone on top of a bowl of sea salt OR beach sand and place a Smokey Quartz crystal on top of or next to the stone. I’ve also been know to bury hard, non-porous stones in the salt or sand for stronger cleansing action, but one must be careful as this can damage softer, porous stones. This isn’t a necessary or required step, it’s simply a personal ritual of mine.

I generally leave the stone for 1 to 3 days and nights depending on how the stone feels to me when I first obtain it. If I feel especially negative vibrations from the stone I’ve been known to leave the stone for a full 7 days. I begin the ritual at one of three different times depending simply on a personal feeling. I can’t really say why I pick which time. All I can say that with each stone or crystal I pick the time that feels “right” for this stone. I begin at midnight, dawn or dusk.

faunabay

OK first of all I have to say how happy I am that while I was gone for awhile you all had Solandia open a section on stones!!!!!! (happy dance! LOL) I just love all my stones and will look forward to catching up on all the posts here! :D

Anyway I have a very beautiful larimar stone that I cleanse with sage. I just put it in a wicker basket (not very tightly woven) and pass some burning sage underneath it. The smoke comes up through the wicker and seems to work wonderfully for cleansing purposes. Then I do use the sunlight to charge it after 2 or 3 times of cleansing it with the sage. (also depends on how much I've been using it - I might use the sun more often)
I also use my stone for bringing love into my life. Not necessarily only romantic (that does happen as well though LOL), but love for self, family, friends, etc.
But like DarkElectric said it is a VERY peaceful stone. I find I want mine with me when I'm going to be in a hectic environment where I may get stressed. Or if I'm feeling unloved or insecure.

catlin

Larimar is my fav stone (I love it even more than my black amethyst). I have a silver Goddess pendant with a Larimar stone placed above as moon.

I like Larimar because it is a very calming, soothing stone. It helps to bring your environment to respond positively to you.

Sea Sprite

I made a big boo boo. I soaked my Larimar in seasalt water then rinse it off under running tap water and placed in outside in the sunlight for like 8 hours. It doesn't appear to be damaged in anyway though; I won't do this again.

Strega

Sea Sprite said:
I just recently got a piece of Larimar and would like to know more about it.
Oh what a beautiful stone! :)

Larimar for me represents peace and helps calm the emotions. I wear one to promote love, acceptance, and serenity.

Sea Sprite said:
I made a big boo boo.
You may want to read this thread for future reference. :)