Tarot decks inspired by Michael Dummett?

Le Fanu

I never got the sense of any "nastiness". I thought his approach was rigorous and academic and I think I agree with what he says. Or rather, I read "A Wicked Pack of Cards" and - yes - from what I remember, I agreed with him.

But then if anyone else came forward and said that tarot was a game before it was used for divination, I'd agree with them too. It's not taking anyone's dream away from them. It's only an opinion, albeit the opinion of one who is (I would say) informed and has researched well.

Debra

Me, too. A Wicked Pack of Cards is terrific, and I think he has a straightforward, scholarly style of writing focused on the historical facts so far as they are known.

Mabuse, nice deck! :heart:

Cerulean

Decker and Depaulis may have added a gentler approach

with Dummett in the co-authored History of the Occult Tarot...soryy if verging on the sideliines of the topic...

and certainly I seem to remember reading thanks and credits to well known esoteric writers ..the chapters on Etteilla and Compte de Geblin seemed appropriate as well. I read how the writers even surmised biographical data from Ettiella's writings on esoteric topics and the tone was gentler than I could have thought. I read closely, several times about their comments on Etteilla, and there was sympathy.

A dry tone sometimes, may be less exciting, but not hurting dreamers whose path is not among really dusty old books...and I have seen some of those texts the authors had to wade through. Those books might give one so much to chew on, dreamers might retreat from opening any text...sometimes reading original writings by 19th to early 20th century authors can can make me sleepy or grumpy. I am more grateful to Dummett, Decker and Depaulis for helping me understand through their summaries where tp start...

Cerulean

Freddie

oops I didn't mean to send this into what it became. My opinions are another thread in another area of this forum. Dreams was a poor choice of wording, I should have used beliefs instead. I do really like the work of Ronald Decker and I just want to make that clear as they work together alot.

Freddie

RiccardoLS

Basically he "discovered" that tarot was a game before it became a fortune-telling tool. Not a Nobel-Prize-deserving achievement in my opinion. But I am curious - maybe he did add more to the tarot culture and I am missing it.

Some things had to be said a first time, before they became "common" knowledge.
In the XIX century it was common (even by most serious peoplelike Papus or Levi) to attribute the origin of Tarot to Egypt, occult reasons, et cetera.
Even today, you will find many people believing many different origins of Tarot (actually in my actual experience the tale I most often hear is kind of a compromise between what historical evidence we have, and the - I guess - psychological need for Tarot to be "more" and mysterious and mystical).

As I understand, Dummett was among the firsts to approach Tarot historically, and with the through competence of a trained scholar. What came strange is that, maybe, it wasn't ever done before.
Possibly as a reaction to the common misconceptions about Tarot he had to face, he was openly not interested in any mystical/magical aspect of Tarot. My take was that he wanted to be an "astronomer" and not an "astrologist". And that he found the difference important and necessary.

Ric

gregory

As I understand, Dummett was among the firsts to approach Tarot historically, and with the through competence of a trained scholar. What came strange is that, maybe, it wasn't ever done before.
Possibly as a reaction to the common misconceptions about Tarot he had to face, he was openly not interested in any mystical/magical aspect of Tarot. My take was that he wanted to be an "astronomer" and not an "astrologist". And that he found the difference important and necessary.

Ric

That's a very good way of describing him, based on what I've read (Wicked Pack and Game of.) I HAVE the History but haven't exactly read it yet....

Alta

Not surprising Ric. That wouldn't be the first time that someone who found the tarot interesting but felt a dislike for the mystical overlay deliberately chose a more scholarly approach. People with academic background could feel that they are taken less seriously if they discuss the more intuitive aspects of 'the game'.

Debra

That wouldn't be the first time that someone who found the tarot interesting but felt a dislike for the mystical overlay deliberately chose a more scholarly approach.

Who are you thinking of?

RiccardoLS

Not surprising Ric. That wouldn't be the first time that someone who found the tarot interesting but felt a dislike for the mystical overlay deliberately chose a more scholarly approach. People with academic background could feel that they are taken less seriously if they discuss the more intuitive aspects of 'the game'.

Actually the point is there are no intuitive aspects to the game.
(it's just that one day Tarot stopped being a game)

So, in the end there is a narrow sighted, stuffed, ignorant and prejudiced academic world.

And on the other side, occult scholars who have been trying for ages to brute force their way into historical facts and documents, without any hint of accuracy or intellectual honesty, only to make their beliefs taken more seriously.

So... kind of sad :(

Cerulean

Thanks for the links to the deck you made

I am interested in what people said, but had also felt a need to comment on your doubleheaded deck.
I like the pips, they seem period on design.

I do have a comment and thread on how children's games reflected folklore and fortune ganes in the hstorical section, but have not finished notes. DDD that includes MD inspired much, but not certain if Dame Fortune from Paul Husan was derived from Dummett's words.

So Mabuse, your deck is the only one so far as I know.

Here it is
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/trionfi/

I happen to be the designer of it so I know it was inspired by Game of Tarot. I didn't want to initially disclose it so as not to look self serving.

The URL is out of date though.
https://www.thegamecrafter.com/games/trionfi-blue-back-

I was curious as to what extant Dummett's work influenced the creation of any Tarot decks.