Tarot Decks that STRAY

Barleywine

I'm confused. Did I miss a post?

Sorry. It's the Post-Modern Tarot by Brian Williams (aka PoMo). With suits of "TVs," "Bottles," "Guns" and "Money," its cleverness and symbolic virtuosity are undeniable, but 'taint tarot.

greatdane

Thank you, Barleywine

I wasn't really familiar with the term PoMo, so now must go check it out.

DavidMcCann

Sorry. It's the Post-Modern Tarot by Brian Williams (aka PoMo). With suits of "TVs," "Bottles," "Guns" and "Money," its cleverness and symbolic virtuosity are undeniable, but 'taint tarot.
I was tempted but didn't buy. Seeing how many artists you can recognise among those parodied would be an interesting game, though.

Chronata

Yes yes to both the POMO and the Faerie Wicca decks, as already mentioned.

While I loved the POMO, there were some head scratching changes. I could still read it as tarot though ( same with the Osho Zen)

The Faerie Wicca deck and I had a serious language barrier, and I was never able to communicate well with it, and all the weird changes didn't help.

Another one was the Enochian. Probably the most WTF deck I had.

And the Crow's Magic deck was a glorified oracle, which was useless as a tarot for me. It holds the record for being traded the fastest of any deck I ever bought.

greatdane

WOW really interesting to read your experiences

Some decks I had seen scans of, some I hadn't.

This was in no way meant to be a thread that KNOCKED decks that people love, but just to point out the word "tarot" on the deck may have been just a tad misleading or stretched a bit.

I can adjust to some changes, but like I said in my first post, if I need a companion book, a map and a compass to try to figure it out, I likely won't see it as...tarot.

Mi-Shell

The Osho Zen

The Fire Tarot

The Fairy Lights Tarot
The Osho Zen is VERY well aligned with RWS, ONCE YOU KNOW Zen Buddhism and the teachings of Osho.

In the very early days of the first decks there were many other systems of Tarot.
RWS itself is relatively new compared to them.
It is Tarot, when it has Mayors and Minors and nowadays there are many artists that push the stereotypes and create new Tarot decks. After all, we do not realllly have almighty Kings and Queens like in the 15 hundreds and many decks move away from christianity and its popes, devils and virtues. I am glad we have contemporary decks. Some work, some - not so much, but 300 years from now there will be more newer systems - like the Wheel of the year and others....

Barleywine

After all, we do not realllly have almighty Kings and Queens like in the 15 hundreds . . .

If you lived in the US with its present rogue administration, you might beg to differ. (Note: NOT a partisan political attack, just a cynical observation of current events ;))

. . . 300 years from now there will be more newer systems - like the Wheel of the year and others....

300 years from now we will all be using tarot apps for the computer chips implanted in our skulls, and cards will have passed out of living memory.

Winterchild

Yes yes to both the POMO and the Faerie Wicca decks, as already mentioned.

While I loved the POMO, there were some head scratching changes. I could still read it as tarot though ( same with the Osho Zen)

The Faerie Wicca deck and I had a serious language barrier, and I was never able to communicate well with it, and all the weird changes didn't help.

Another one was the Enochian. Probably the most WTF deck I had.

And the Crow's Magic deck was a glorified oracle, which was useless as a tarot for me. It holds the record for being traded the fastest of any deck I ever bought.

Lol ... Same experience with Crows Magic... Got it years ago and it was not all what I expected... Some demand for it though... Faerie Wicca... I just do not see it as Tarot at all... It's a system of its own based on another tradition as far as I could see.

I am waiting for the PoMo as I write... Because it's clever and I like odd postmodernish (!!) things...

A most amazing non Tarot tarot is the Tarot Placebo by Ellis Nadler.... I love that guy!!

I mentioned in another thread that I just received The Sherlock Holmes Tarot... Doesn't feel like Tarot so far but it is only hours old so I will give it time!

ana luisa

Morgan's Tarot !