Tarot decks studied and discarded.

sharpchick

Netzach said:
I worked with the Rider Waite and Ancestral Paths for about two years. Then I found the Robin Wood and worked for a while with that. But since starting to read intuitively I've completely abandoned the Rider Waite (which I never liked anyway) and the Robin Wood and I rarely use Ancestral Paths. Nowadays my "regular" decks are the Rohrig, Tarot of Dreams and the Phantasmagoric Theater - all rather different from the RWS & Robin Wood!

Hang on to that Ancestal Path, if you haven't already disposed of it. It's OOP now. . .

Netzach

sharpchick said:
Hang on to that Ancestal Path, if you haven't already disposed of it. It's OOP now. . .

Yes, I know that. And I wouldn't get rid of it - I still think it's a beautiful deck. I just don't use it very much.

lawguy51

Netzach said:
Yes, I know that. And I wouldn't get rid of it - I still think it's a beautiful deck. I just don't use it very much.
Same reason the Alchemical deck is not leaving my sight!!

Lawguy51

Annabelle

Let's see, decks that I've studied, then abandoned include:

- Tarot of Dreams
- Revelations
- Mythic

I still own each of these and am not currently looking to trade them, but I don't use any of them, either. I tried - and failed - with each. I spent a lot of time in particular with the ToD, but in the end I simply put it away and moved on to other decks. I had high hopes for the Revelations, and even read the book and tried to get in the swing of using reversals - but eventually realized it's just not the deck for me. And the Mythic - well, I read the book and learned the background mythology, but I never could overcome my reaction against the (to my eye) flat art style.

MarkMcElroy

Passing the Test of Time

For me, there's a pattern: I find that, no matter how engaging they are at first, decks that

a) incorporate a specialty theme (like animals, dragons, cute ducklings, etc.)

or

b) reflect too intimately their designer's own inner landscape

eventually fall out of daily use here at my house.

The decks in category A make great additions to my collection (they add a lot of "ooh and aah" visual appeal), but I don't read with them very often. I like some of these decks very much (Lo Scarabo's tarot of the Animal Lords comes to mind), but none has ever become a daily reading deck.

The decks in category B (like, say, the Navigator's Tarot of the Mystic SEA) tend to come on strong and dominate my reading activity for as long as several months ... but, for various reasons, wander to the back of my Tarot cabinet after that initial burst of interest.

Interesting thread! Thanks!

lawguy51

MarkMcElroy said:
For me, there's a pattern: I find that, no matter how engaging they are at first, decks that
I think I have to absolutely agree with that observation! Decks like Rohrig or Dali are just too dripping with their author's imprint and specialty decks, like the Mythic or Shining Tribe or even the Victoria Regina, just sort of fade away from me over time.

Lawguy51

Chronata

wow. Y'know I never realized just how many decks I worked long and lovingly with, and then just simply moved on to other decks...

Like the Aquarian, the Vision, the Victoria Regina, the Mythic...

But somewhere in my plans, I do intend to pick them up again...some time in the misty future, when I want to go back to an old familiar friend!

and most of the time I do. I will pick up old decks because I remember there was something I really loved about them...for me to work quite obsessively with them as I had!

and there's the recent abandoned decks that I was simply done with. I just felt as if there was nothing more we could say to each other and so they were passed on to people who would love them more...

the Vertigo, the Light and Shadow.. and the 1JJ Swiss (though I do sort of regret that one...).

Course...at the moment, all my decks lay abandoned.

Just a cycle, I know. Maybe I need to go back to those earlier friends now...

tabi

I have only five decks. The ones that always get pushed off to the side is the R/W not sure what it is about that deck but it holds no appeal to me even though it was my first tarot deck.

The other is the Z/F tapsery deck, I don't care for the images. The sizes is great because I have such small hands but I currently leave that one at work to use when I am there. Otherwise it wouldn't be used at all.

The one that surprised me was the Dragon deck, I really did not like that deck when I first got it. After working with it and studing some of the card individually it has really grown on me.

Abrac

For me it was the Medieval Scapini. I purchased the deck and book set with the idea of really studying the symbolism. I got to the part where Decker mentions the El Gran Tarot Esoterico and got sidetracked with that. So the Medieval Scapini has been sitting idle ever since. I don't think I'm ready to give up on it just yet though. I love the look of it, and I'll probably get back to it eventually.

-fof

lawguy51

At the beginning of this thread I listed the Haindl. I'd have to say that that is the one deck I put the most work into without ultimately connecting. I read both of Pollack's books on the majors and minors, even highlighted them like I was studying for an exam. I worked and worked with it, wanted to like it, but I don't think I ever created a spread that made sense to me. I think if was the court cards that ultimately made me walk away. And I just don't like a deck that forces me to put my reading glasses on! Not a good deck in a dimly lit room!

I also spent a lot of time with the Shining Tribe and its book. I found it difficult to grasp but I've gotten to know the deck better because I've now been to 4 Rachel Pollack seminars and she uses it quite effectively during those sessions.

Lawguy51