The spiritual side of playing cards?

Phoenix Rising

The Northern hemisphere would be different..but the Cardinals of the Seasonal change is still the same. What would you consider to be the New Year over there. Although, 1 January is considered the New Year by the Gregorian calendar, but there is no real logical explanation why, it's a week after the Summer/winter solstice..but it's a bullshit calendar anyways...Maori New Year is because of the New Moon after the first appearance of Matariki or the Pleiades and the postion of the sun on the Northern Horizon....Off topic here..sorry..oh well I'm allowed I started the thread...hehe!

Yes that Jack of spade is an interesting character...that card always comes up as my oldest son..who is dark in coloring..but he has a strong sense of "Justice" very responsible and never lies. He is also a "fire sign" leo..so he would be the positive side of that card..the negative side of the Jack..is the rebel or rogue, thief or liar, like you've mentioned. He would be Fire/Air..

Joermit

Well... our New Year is always celebrated on the 1st... I don't really know much about calendar systems, but do understand how playing cards make a perfect year in their entirity... the book The Playing Cards Oracle by Ana Cortez goes into depth on the lunar calendar and really has some interesting takes on PC divination... wasn't for me... but interesting reading nonetheless... you might check that one out too... very interesting how she incorporates geomancy as well... really get a lot of information out of only four cards... as well on reading for timing and flipping through the cards to get to a specific time you're interested in.... I've borrowed my copy out so I couldn't look in it to explain exactly the system... it was pretty cool though...

Phoenix Rising

I was just reading a thread on another cartomancy forum about Ana Cortez book. The topic was about "geomancy" something about adding odds and evens, red cards, black cards etc...Sounds like a good book...However what I really want to know in any cartomancy book are the techniques and tips that will help one learn to interpret the cards..The tip Deborah gave on the court cards was one of the biggest help that I've read..Sure makes the reading of courts easier.

We can have all the fancy spreads in the world, but it's putting the cards(words) together to get the sentence..you know what I mean?

Joermit

Yeah... I know whatcha mean... that's the tricky part, the finesse of it all... making all these card flow and form a story that accurately describes what's going on and what could be coming up... so far, I have not come across a cartomancy book that explains this... in fact, most cartomancy book are strictly advice on fortune-telling... I do not consider what I do fortune-telling... I think cartomancy often gets the shaft as many people don't consider playing cards capable of giving insights into a situation as they're not illustrated... well I beg to differ... there are so many layers in PCs that when I read for myself, I often use them over tarot... I love to look at the "underlying energies" (that's what I call them) of a situation when I'm needing clarity... I usually pull two cards, one for the situation, and one crossing that... to see what's really at the heart of the issue and to get some advice on how to approach it... and I always get some very interesting insights... I have never journaled my readings before, but I'm really thinking of starting that pretty soon here... I have an idea, PR... I know we tried a study group before, but let's just go through our card meanings here... suit by suit... one card at a time... are you game... lemme know and we'll get started... we'll "explore the the energies of playing cards..."

Phoenix Rising

We certainly on the same brain wave my friend...I know exactly what you mean. I would love to go in depth. I had a interesting conversation with another member(was a member here but not anymore)..although he's very knowledgable on Tarot and symbolisms..He had alot of praise for the Playing cards as well.

Phoenix Rising

Journals

Oh and about the journal...I've got a few journals..I love writing things down. But I'm just making a New Journal, because I want to be able to record everything in it, to do with reading techniques, readings, spreads etc...so that I've got something to hand down to my kids or grand kids..So I've got a scribble journal and this New one, will be my "special one" it just gives me a closer connection to it all. I wish I had a granny or aunt or mother for that matter who could of passed something like this down. Like a family Heirloom.

Joermit

Exploring the energies of playing cards - Ace of Hearts

I agree... it would have been wonderful to have a family tradition of this... a woman I work with has a mother and grandmother who both read playing cards, but haven't taught her... they just won't... so I am... and as for a journal, maybe I'll just start that tomorrow!

as for our "exploring the energies of playing cards...'' what is your take on the...

~ Ace of Hearts ~

to me the essence of this card is the heart and love in its purest form... unconditional love... spiritual love... and the opportunity to achieve this... when I see this card in a reading it shows me great depth and power, for love is a very powerful thing...

this card manifests in many way to me, depending on what's around it and what I'm feeling... I feel this card has a wonderful healing energy to it... and can actually indicate a healing occuring... it speaks of compassion and care... this card serves as a reminder to lead by your heart, for love is all that's real... and you can get so much accomplished through love... this is a like a ray of spirit... I find the heart itself to be a very intuitive entity... it enjoys beautiful things, and simple things... the heart is easily 'touched' so this card also manifest as artistry and creativity at times, again, depending up what's around it and what I feel... I know traditionally this is a card of the home... and I sometimes feel that... this is a very peaceful energy at times... and a very excited one at others... this is my suit of water, the hearts, and blood flows and is made up mainly of water... all which course through the heart... the more one flows with love, and flows through life, the more happiness can be found... very beautiful card, one of my favorites to see...

what are you takes?? and we shall do the two of hearts next??

Joey

Phoenix Rising

Great.....I agree with all that you've said, so I won't repeat what you've said..it is also my "Home" card...home is where the Heart is.so to speak. The heart was a part of a conversation i had today with a friend. The symbol of the heart..yes the physical one..but it is also that of the female reproductive organs, the uterus, and of course we live in water for the whole 9 months..so likened to the chalice that carries the royal blood..or generations forward...maybe the first 9 cards representing the months of gestation from this point...and then "family" within the 10(oops skipping ahead)

I also had the Ace of heart next to a Q of heart..who was a "Psychic"

Joermit

lol... hard not to skip ahead...

it's funny... I sorta named all my courts, and the Queen of Hearts is called "The Psychic" I like her... she's my favorite queen... I like your additional comments about the female reproductive oragans represented by this card as well... naturally I would assume the male is Ace of Clubs?? again I see the yin/yang here... fire (clubs, black) and water (hearts, red)... where the hearts may be more passive, the clubs are definitely more adventurous... cools stuffs... I have to get to bed now... could you start the next section with your insights on the Two of Hearts, if that okay by you?? I'll post on it tomorrow... thanks for all the insights and discussion, PR... as always, I really enjoy it... wish we could get some more ppl on the pc bandwagon! take care...

Joey

Phoenix Rising

Hi Joey

Actually the spade is the yang...I wish I had a image to show you...but if you turn the spade upside down and tuck in the tail you have a heart. The spade is also the last suit, heart the first.

Yeah I wish the others would participate too...I don't know where Little Buddha is..he's passionate about the playing cards as well...oh well. They'll show up later.