Bohemian Gothic (2nd Edition) Ace of Wands

BelovedK

In this card I see a throne of stone that looks like it is carved into a crypt, or mausoleum. In the throne sits a skull with a golden scepter and it wears a gold ornate crown on it’s head.

So, the feel of the card is one of warning, like a skull and crossbones might bring, it is a sign, one that should not be ignored. It is warning that though it may seem like your new path will bring you success and achievement, and it may... you may not be able to enjoy the fruits of your creativity because a part of you will not survive. Which part will survive remains to be seen, it is time to either commit to it, or turn back. Is it wise to continue? or wiser to turn back and forget that you had the calling?

Another take I have on it is that if you take the first steps onto this path, the naive/innocent part of yourself will be put to rest and you will gain much power, the kind of power that we gain from being totally taken down, from reaching the ‘low point’ and building back up (from going through a death.) (this was a passing thought, one I am having trouble putting words to.)

I can’t wait to hear what others have to add.

DaughterOfDanu

This is my first BG deck. And I'm not used to the artwork style. I see some similarity to the RW style in some cards but in others, I can only sit here and wonder curiously why they chose the image they did. I'm sure though once I see other's impressions and opinions it'll become much clearer.

The more I look at this card, the more I see new things that I hadn't before. Almost like this card comes alive. And with this,Intuition-wise, I get a feeling that this card speaks "newness". I see that the sunlight (which can represent fire- a common association with the wands suit) has started to shine on the statue. This represents the newness I felt. I see the wand's tip is modeled to look like a flame- another association with fire. I see both the wand and crown are made of gold. In my faith, Gold is attributed as a masculine metal and thus reminds me of the dominance in wands. Also the crown reminds me of kinglyness and again to dominance.

So putting it all together, I can see this card representing a new situation that is dominating (Or prevalent) and full of energy.

Master_Margarita

Second versus First Edition

I pulled out both editions of my deck to look at the changes to the card in the second edition. The image is exactly the same. The second edition is slightly less "saturated" so the overall effect of the second edition card is a little brighter. You can see a little more detail in the stonework at the top. I can't see any other differences in the two versions.

I find the image on the card in either edition quite ironic. I think of the Ace of Wands generally as representing the force and fire of new life, and the read I get on this image is that it is cold and dead. The carved flame at the tip of the torch is abstract and static. (The weeds in the graveyard in the Ace of Swords say "new life" to me more directly than this card does.) That this is how the Ace of Wands is represented is one example of the dark beauty of this deck.

:heart: M_M~

strings of life

At first glance, the first thing that I notice about the image is the use of stone and gold. The stone part looks like it is a statue or molding in a building. The statue-like image shows a stone skull resting on a pillow with what looks like a chair covered by a sheet. In the skull’s mouth is a wand, representing the Ace of Wands. There is also a gold crown on top of the skull’s head. I feel a harsh chill in the air and paired with the stone, feel like this is symbolic of a clean slate, purity, clarity and a new beginning after an end. The skull represents and end—death. I find it interesting that the only human remains are the skull, symbolic of thinking and action. But, the gold crown and wand are the focal point, shimmering and asking to be discovered. The wand is pointing to the right, symbolic of unconscious thoughts and desires. If this card could speak words, it would say, “Go ahead and take this wand and crown. You have the power. Create something or revive what feels stale, boring or nonexistent in life. Experience it!”

In many ways, this feels like a different take on your typical Ace of Wands at first glance, but it opens up a new way to view the card. This Ace of Wands is raw and powerful to me. It is directed, focused and makes me feel like the possibilities are endless before one becomes jaded.

I’ll admit that I wasn’t fond of this card when I first saw it, but I really like it now! :)

strings of life

Double post - oops!

Libra8ca

I have used my BG deck a lot during the last year and interestingly the Ace of Wands is one of those cards that comes up very seldom.
I just checked the book and it states that the crown is a symbol of recognition and power to come if the project turns out successful (which is not certain).

When I see the crown in the Ace of Wands, I get the impression that perhaps the focus is too much on the power and recognition that may result from a new endeavor. Power and recognition at any cost (including "walking over dead bodies").

Pam O

This card was quite confusing me. When I read what others have posted, I am enlightened by all of you. This is fabulous how many entries there are for these BG cards! I had pulled this card for "next step".

I see the end of an old situation where someone pushed and pushed and "worked to the bone" using up all their passion. Then this card shows the new gleam, the new passion that can arise from the old situation. So I see that congratulations (the crown) could be regarding the old situation for one angle? The shimmering wand now feels like the seed of the new passion where there was "burnout" and depletion before. I know there's more and this is one of the few cards that does not have any entries in the 1st edition IDS at this moment. With this 2nd edition, the gold is very bright and shimmering.

MoiraKarin

I drew this card this morning , out of 3. One of this was the king of P . Why i bring him up?

Both cards show skulls with crowns. i got to understand the Ace of wands better in this 3 card reading..I think this card now means: There is a chance of magic and something powerful, coming into your life, but it depends on you.. How well are you first to focus on your golden potential inside..?
Through your own self (skull as the material outside of the unlimited of potential of how i will be able to use my head(inside). The golden crown, is just the cover up of the golden potential, that lies within us. if we use this well, we are able to grab the golden wand to use for all our magics in our lives..

annik

The skull makes me think of "Le roi est mort, vive le roi!" (The king is dead, hurray for the king). Maybe that to make place to new things, there must be some dying parts, a kind of alchemical transmutation.

Thirteen

Both cards show skulls with crowns. i got to understand the Ace of wands better in this 3 card reading..I think this card now means: There is a chance of magic and something powerful, coming into your life, but it depends on you.. How well are you first to focus on your golden potential inside..?

The skull makes me think of "Le roi est mort, vive le roi!" (The king is dead, hurray for the king). Maybe that to make place to new things, there must be some dying parts, a kind of alchemical transmutation.
I think, in line with others here, that you've both hit the nail on the head. The King/Pents skull--a real skull--with crown ends the suit. As this is a suit of riches and materialism, the aim is to be the richest man in the graveyard. One is meant to look at the riches and a power achieved and be awed (or maybe dismayed). Also, one is meant to think of old religions and kings, where they were buried with riches for the afterlife, and/or it was felt that no one but they could wear that crown, so no one living was allowed to have it.

In the Ace/Wants, however, this is the beginning of the suit, and it isn't the real skull of a real king holding the wand or wearing the crown. It is a carved skull on a headstone offering both wand and crown. And there is a "Do you dare?" quality to it. Do you dare take the risk? Do you have what it takes to be the new king? Can you take this old thing and use it in a new and different way to achieve a different end? (i.e. not end up a dead king on a stone throne). There is potential in this ace for great power, achievements, a chance to sit on the throne lording it over others, commanding them. But the skull on the throne reminds the ambitious that this ambition could also burn them to the bone. It could eat them up, destroy them.

Only a Wands personality, who aims high, and gets a rush out taking enormous risks, who has supreme confidence and not a little egotistical folly is going to be tempted by that crown and scepter. He may not even think twice about the warning of that headstone. The gleam of gold, it's power (not riches) will blind him to anything else that stone has to tell him.