study group application ~ capricorn

Moongold

isthmus nekoi said:
Actually, another really neat thing I've found from doing astrology is being able to narrow down the birthtimes of friends. I had one friend who was a little iffy about astrology. I told her that it looked to me that she was born around 8-9 pm. She asked her mother and e-mailed me back later: how did you know??? ^_^

How did you know, Isthmus? I've heard that unknown birth times can be calculated from ephemeris but don't understand how to do this. I have a feeing it is too complicated to explain simply

I have also read that they can be calculated with a gold ring or something similar on the end of a string - a kind of divining.

Some people say they know simply by intuition.

I'm curious to know how you did it.

Cheers,

Moongold

Minderwiz

Astrologically I would guess one of two main possibilities

Firstly if they're a friend you know their outward personality well enought to guess their Ascendant sign - the rest is just a matter of checking

Secondly there is an argument that physical appearance is strongly correlated with Ascendant sign - again same thing its just a matter of finding when that sign was on the Ascendant.

But I bet I'm wrong LOL

isthmus nekoi

Actually, Minderwiz you're right! No secret methods here, just plain logical deduction :) ASC is a huge help. And then, yup, checking out which houses natal planets are likely to fall into. ie. the person in question had a Mars-Neptune opposition. She always takes the initiative to lead our 'group' (11th), and recently went through a major breakup when transiting Pluto conj her natal Neptune (5th). She also goes seriously overboard w/the social (11th) drinking thing.
It's also good when ppl give you a time that's a little off b/c the adjacent signs are always very different. ie. someone gave me an uncertain time that put him at Gemini ASC. No way. He is soooo Cancer rising all the way. It's not a foolproof method, and you won't be able to get precise degrees of houses, but it's good enough when ppl aren't sure. It's a good way to practice your understanding w/how ASC and sun signs interact (and to make skeptics reconsider ^-^).

I've read about looks/face being related to ASC. The only problem I have w/this is that a lot of the material written doesn't take into account ethnic diversity. ie. w/Mars conj ASC I've read are supposed to have red hair. Obviously, this assessment doesn't work for most of the world population... Or maybe we're all redheads at heart :p Maybe it relates to body lang. My sister says when I walk, I never look laidback; watch out if I'm wearing boots w/heels ^_~

Minderwiz

I agree with your last points about ethnic diversity - I do not try to predict Ascendants from physical characteristics, I think its a bit of a lottery really.

The method you used for your friend is a good one and a lot more reliable. You are right to be a little wary of fixing the cusps exactly but its a very good rule of thumb. What's more people without a computer can do it because there are rough and ready Ascendant tables published which depend on Sun sign and give the Ascendants for times of the day.

Moongold

Hello everyone :D

I don't know how I came to be in this thread again. Possibly I was looking at the Who's on line thing and thought it was a new thread.

I have enjoyed reading it again. And it's kind of interesting to go back over the discussion. I've just today begun a new astrology course and have been looking through the course materials.

According the chart the school sent me, and my brand new Solar Fire, I have more earth in my chart than fire. For the last year I've believed there was more fire and my former software indicated that there was.

I suspect there may be different ways to calculate this but am not sure. If anyone knows it would be could they let me know? Others might also be under different impressions.

Moongold

isthmus nekoi

Moongold,

Your chart on astro.com shows your sun, merc, jupiter, saturn and pluto in fire, whereas there is only venus and mars in earth. You could also count the ASC and MC as earth (Cap and Virgo respectively).

Moongold

Thanks for looking Isthmus - you are so conscientious - I meant that as a compliment too.

I looked a little closer and they weight them for some reason. They also include the North Node and a couple of other things in as Earth whereas I would not have thought to do that and my other softwars certainly does not.

I can't find the reason why right now but I will.

Moongold

Minderwiz

I have a copy of your chart Moongold and I have a very strong predominance of Fire - though, as Isthmus says, the Earth count increases if you include the Ascendant and MC.

I think you are right to suspect the settings, as to what is counted and what isn't - look to see if you are including any asteroids, such as Juno or the Vertex and switch off those that you don't want to include.

Even if you chose to leave some of them in, it's worth remembering that the Sun is more important than, say Juno, in the weighting so again be a little careful in your interpretation.

Moongold

Hi Minderwiz,

Ah, it's the way Solar Fire is set up. This is how they do it:

Fire: Sun. Jupiter, Mercury, Saturn and Pluto Total points 5 Weghted score 8

Earth: Venus, Mars, North Node, Ascendant, MC, Total points 5 Weighted score 10

Air: Uranus, Neptune Total Points 2 Weighted score 2
Water: Moon. Chiron Toyal points 2 Weghted score 2

I know the page in the manual where it tells me what to do, Minderwiz but I'll leave it until tomorrow.

Moongold

rcb30872

Hi (late again, but hey)

I have a particular interest in Capricorn, as that is my Ascendant. So much stuff here I can relate to: 1) I can't remember who said this, but they said that when the got to about 40 they said something along the lines that their life is bull****, well, I am 33 and have just realised that as well. Something that I had been doing for all these years, in terms of study and work, I thought that it was because what I wanted, matter of fact it is just a projection from what my mum wanted me to do, if I really did what my mum wanted me to do I would be a nurse *yuk* (sorry for any nurses out there, but nursing is just not my cup of tea!). So, anyway, I have come to the point that I am telling myself now, and have been doing so for a few months, my life up to date feels like one big sham!
2) Having a tough life when you were young, don't get me started. Suffice to say that I have got major self-confidence issues because of what happened to me when I was a child. Dealing with depression as well, I don't know exactly when it first started, probably early 20s, but I am on anti-depressants and have been on them for about 2 1/2 years now, although I have reduced my dosage, it is one of those ones that you have to ease off!
3) "Stingy" there are so many things that I would like to have, but then I think that I can easily do without, so I do. I can't stand people who flaunt their wealth, having flash cars, and all the expensive high tech stuff, etc
4) problems with knees and teeth. Well, my dental problem is more to do with my gums, but it is the same thing. As for skin, can't say that I have a problem with skin except for adult acne and occasional times where I get itchy for no apparent reason and I don't have excema or allergies that crop up as rashes. Funny that you should mention knees, some ****hole rode over both my knees while I was sitting on the ground with my legs straight out, and have problems with my knees on and off since then. The doctor said that it was a coincidence and said some bull**** about the fact when you reach puberty girls have more problems with their knees because of the way the hips are, hmmm!! Could be right, seems a bit far fetched for my liking
5) Not being particulary affectionate, spot on, again

Bec