Mel's Old Fashioned Pips & Courts and Homemade Baked Goods

Flaxen

Bernice said:
Using Mels' Old Fashioned method, have you tried his Tirage en Croix spread?
It's great!

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=95259

Bee :)

Since you posted this, I've been honing my general pips and courts and have got those sorted. I noticed from your link that Mel sorted his trumps according to elements. I was curious about that and decided to have a go at sorting trumps into elemental associations based purely on where I thought they would fit and then comparing with Mel's. What a mixed result! Some of his associations I totally get, others I can't work out the logic behind it. I feel I need to do some more reading on the classical elements to really get to grips with this.

Do you use Mel's elemental associations or do you use your own?

Bernice

Hi Flaxen,

Do you use Mel's elemental associations or do you use your own?
When using Mels' system I always use his. It's such a well-founded 'classical' approach, and the way his spreads are evaluated are really good.

This is not to say that I don't still have my own ideas, re. the court & pip cards though. This personal approach doesn't use elements at all. :). But I wouldn't use them with Mels' methods.

Bee x

alec

Hi Flaxen,

Have you seen Mel's thread, Mapping the Tarot's structure: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=103765

It's a brilliant way of understanding the trumps. There seems to be some overlap with the elemental attributions Mel gave at one point. He later wrote that each trump could be associated with more than one element.

I've gone away from using elemental attributions for the trumps, and instead base the interpretations on active/receptive, dignity and speed. This has worked very well with Mel's Pips & Courts, and gets away from the difficulty of trying to pigeonhole the trumps into one element each.

Alec

Flaxen

alec said:
Hi Flaxen,

Have you seen Mel's thread, Mapping the Tarot's structure: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=103765

It's a brilliant way of understanding the trumps. There seems to be some overlap with the elemental attributions Mel gave at one point. He later wrote that each trump could be associated with more than one element.

I've gone away from using elemental attributions for the trumps, and instead base the interpretations on active/receptive, dignity and speed. This has worked very well with Mel's Pips & Courts, and gets away from the difficulty of trying to pigeonhole the trumps into one element each.

Alec

That's great, thanks Alec!

I'm so sucked into this TdM /historical world - where will it stop? :grin:
I've just ordered the Flornoy Dodal to go with my Noblet. High on my wishlist is the Vieville - that seems to be hard to find. I always seem to discover these things too late. C'est la vie...

Laura Borealis

I've been trying to wrap my head around this method because it seems like the best (and most fun!) way to read the pips/courts in historical decks. What an incredible effort on the part of Mel! And you others who've participated. I can't say I've grasped very much of it yet, but I'm working on it.

Would anyone find a printable document helpful? I copypasta'd the text from the pips and courts posts into a Google document. The link is here.

I put in page breaks so each card will print on its own page; my intent (once I print it) is to punch holes and put the pages into a binder, so I can write and draw on them, insert extra pages if/when needed, and so forth.

Right now the document settings will allow anyone to edit it (I have a backup in case of accidents). So if anyone wants to add in the diagrams, they're welcome to. Or you can just download it and rearrange it to suit your needs. :)

ETA This isn't necessary anymore since we have http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4393365/Mel_prepis.pdf
but I won't delete it because I hate when people delete stuff on the web :p

Laura Borealis

piecat.jpg

Bernice

laura_borealis said:
...........<snip>........

Would anyone find a printable document helpful? I copypaste'd the text from the pips and courts posts into a Google document. The link is here.

I put in page breaks so each card will print on its own page; my intent (once I print it) is to punch holes and put the pages into a binder, so I can write and draw on them, insert extra pages if/when needed, and so forth.

Right now the document settings will allow anyone to edit it (I have a backup in case of accidents). So if anyone wants to add in the diagrams, they're welcome to. Or you can just download it and rearrange it to suit your needs. :)
Thank you for that Laura :) You're right about it being a great classical system - I've never come across another to compare with it!

Possible problem:
Anyone with Firefox browser: If they updated you with NoScripts, the pages won't show on your screen. You have to manage NoScripts to allow the page to load - 'always' or 'temporarily'.

Again, thanks Laura :)

Bee.

Laura Borealis

You're welcome! I hope it's useful for someone ^_^

There was a missing page break, but I think it's put to rights now. I downloaded it as a pdf for myself and all appears right for printing. One page to each card, except the 5 of Swords which runs onto a second page.

Melanchollic

laura_borealis said:
I downloaded it as a pdf for myself and all appears right for printing.

As did I. :D

I'm glad to see folks are still getting some enjoyment out of these sugar induced ponderings.

Love that cat pic. Brings back memories of growing up in East Texas. Of all the great cuisines of the world, it's only Southern cooking (USA) were you can enjoy the whole darn meal with same fork!! :laugh: