If anyone were to make envelope style deck pouches

lark

I made one! I made one!

Here's one I made for myself as a prototype

I really like that bag...so beautiful, where do you find felt like that, is it wool felt?

I have a piece of hand woven fabric I want to make a bag that shape out of.
But since it will be trial and error I guess I better start with a piece of cheapo cotton.

The Happy Squirrel

I found this shaped pouches to be more space efficient in storing decks compared to the drawstring ones :)

The Happy Squirrel

I really like that bag...so beautiful, where do you find felt like that, is it wool felt?

But since it will be trial and error I guess I better start with a piece of cheapo cotton.

Show us when you are finished :)

PathWalker

Thank you! No it's not wool felt - I originally bought it so I could make something for a vegan friend of mine. It's brand name is Eco-fi Rainbow Felt by Kunin, made from recycled plastic bottles. I bought mine in UK, but I think it's a USA product, so you should be able to finds it there fairly easily? It's quite fine, so I'm having to use double layers, but it comes in some great colours.

Good luck with your plans
PW

The Happy Squirrel

I have seen the Leather Tarot cases on Etsy and they are truly beautiful. they start at around 50 bucks but oh so nice!

They are nice :)
Sadly she can't make smaller pouches with gussets. But for larger decks those would be amazing.

lark

Thank you! No it's not wool felt - I originally bought it so I could make something for a vegan friend of mine. It's brand name is Eco-fi Rainbow Felt by Kunin, made from recycled plastic bottles. I bought mine in UK, but I think it's a USA product, so you should be able to finds it there fairly easily? It's quite fine, so I'm having to use double layers, but it comes in some great colours.

Good luck with your plans
PW

Oh thank you I'll look it up maybe they have it in my fabric store or can order it for me.
So glad it isn't wool, highly allergic to it.
I'll post a picture if I ever make one worth looking at. :D

Zephyros

You don't actually need to know how to sew to make a bag. If I made one, anyone can.

I've made two bags in my time, one a drawstring made of a heavy wool placemat and another in the same style out of an East German flag, only it doesn't close, it just folds. Making an envelope style one is merely a question of cutting the top a certain way and sewing in a button. Ironically, they're both flags, now that I think of, the placemat was an old Canadian flag. They were both made just to try if I could, so they don't look like much, but they're serviceable.

What I did for both was start with a piece of fabric and fold it so that the part I wanted outside was on the inside, and I sewed along the edge. I did it by hand and so did several passes with the thread for strength and durability. Then I turned it inside out and the ugly seams were on the inside and outside was only an attractive closed edge. The drawstring is done in the same way, folded a loop of cloth inside with a string inside it.

If I were to make a proper button closing I would have had to put two layers of cloth with a sewn slit on the outside and a button in the flap. In this way you can also add padding in between the layers to give it more "heft."

The picture is bad and the bags themselves don't look like much, both because they're both about ten years old and I'm not very good anyway. But, the upside is that anyone can do better than me. :) The Canadian flag holds my Morgan-Greer while the East German one holds my small Thoth.

Attachments

• IMG_20150701_000528.jpg
    IMG_20150701_000528.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 97

The Happy Squirrel

closrapexa, your bags inspired me to play around and get a go at it myself :D

My envelope gusseted deck pouch from PathWalker has arrived and I am really loving it.
I highly recommend checking our her latest designs :)

PathWalker

Oh, I'm glad you've got it! :)
Enjoy, and thanks for the vote of confidence.

PathWalker

The Happy Squirrel

It's wonderful PW I am ever so pleased :) Your cord work is amazing too! I will be ordering more. Let me just sort out my decks and decide which one/s of them to make bags for :)