Bad ebay experience buying Greenwood - beware this seller

rif

Last week, I bought a copy of the Greenwood Tarot on eBay from a seller named camera_bear. The cards were advertised as “never being shuffled” and like new, without any marks. The seller publicly answered another buyer’s question about marks for fading, and restated these facts. The seller had excellent feedback, so I felt comfortable buying the deck, at a reasonable price.

Imagine my surprise and disappointment upon receiving the deck. The “unshuffled” cards were not in order; the cards had gunk all over the borders, which only comes from being handled and used; and these “unmarked” cards included The Shaman with a creased corner.

The seller insisted to me that the cards were never shuffled or used. He implied that any damage happened after shipping; and in a followup, told me that because the cards were published in the 90's I shouldn’t expect them to be perfect. Still, he offered a refund so I thought that was the matter taken care of, and shipped them back the same day.

Tonight, the seller contacted eBay with the claim that the inner box is torn from my handling, and that I’ve devalued his item and should not receive a full refund. Of course, this would leave the seller with part of my money, as well as the item to sell again.

I had given the seller the benefit of the doubt, but now it’s obvious to me that the seller is dishonest. I’ve never requested an eBay return before, and I’m dismayed to be going through this process now.

So I'm sure we are all careful shoppers anyway; but I wanted to warn you if you are considering a purchase from camera_bear. At least, for his "like new" Greenwood Tarot!

The Happy Squirrel

I am so sorry to hear about your experience. In over a decade selling and buying on eBay I had my share of nightmares. So far I have found books and tarot sellers to be the loveliest sellers though. In any case, I personally have resorted to only buying from sellers with 100% positive feedback even if this means paying more. I can sympathise with your disappointment and thanks for warning us.

G6

Bad or Just Clueless Ebay Sellers

Yep, bad or just clueless Ebay sellers are out there. Someone was trying to sell a "Vintage Cosmic Tarot from 1988". Upon further inspection of the pictures provided I saw the box included www.usgamesinc.com printed on it. I messaged the seller that the internet didn't exist publicly in 1988. Buyer beware, but usually if it's too good to be true...

Nica

That sounds like a nightmare!!! Very sorry you had to deal with that. [hug]

mydearruby

Oh dear, I think I know which listing you are talking about. I once checked camera_bear's other tarot listings and found he had only three ratings as a seller, so I backed out of the deal. I had some doubt about the photos he posted in the first place---they are just too perfect to be true for a non-professional seller. In addition, the seller does not seem to have dealt with tarot at all before as shown by his rating records.

I am so sorry to know about your experience....Did you happen to have any photos taken before you sent the deck back?

jillkite

Thanks a lot for letting us know, it's much appreciated.
Wishing you all the best in getting this resolved so that you do not lose any money.
Sorry for your trouble and disappointment.

DownUnderNZer

I just had a problem with an Ebay seller too. Electronic device bought for a pretty penny only one function did not work, but it was a vital one. (Cannot buy the device in Australia).

Lucky, I was smart enough to do registered international for the return plus take photos and keep receipts of everything.

Not sure what he tried to pull at the other end except to maybe make out he didn't receive it etc.

But...it was just decided in my favour so a full refund and on top of it - the reimbursement of the postage costs. :thumbsup:

I mostly have good experiences with buying online, but it can't always be smooth sailing I suppose.

You should write a NEGATIVE review for that SELLER and why. :)

gregory

Oh dear, I think I know which listing you are talking about. I once checked camera_bear's other tarot listings and found he had only three ratings as a seller, so I backed out of the deal. I had some doubt about the photos he posted in the first place---they are just too perfect to be true for a non-professional seller. In addition, the seller does not seem to have dealt with tarot at all before as shown by his rating records.

I am so sorry to know about your experience....Did you happen to have any photos taken before you sent the deck back?
I'm sorry you had such a bad time - but the seller does have 100% +ve ratings - 226 of them (and two are for tarot decks)... and I don't know what you about the photos being too good.

Not saying this isn't wrong - but still, the guy doesn't seem as bad as this sale has been.

rif

Hi all,

Thanks for the emotional support. :D

I had also noted that the seller had excellent ratings, which is why I was comfortable buying. And why I was so surprised that the cards weren't as described. I had thought the seller was perhaps honest but not observant, until he opened a case with ebay claiming I'd damaged the item. I certainly didn't damage his cards or his box, and I packed everything up as he sent in, in a priority mail fox filled with plastic bags for lining. I have a perfect buyer's rating on ebay myself. Which I hope stays intact!

My other purchases from ebay from "average citizens" have been fine. This was surprising.

I got an email this morning that ebay decided in my favor, and issued a full refund. Phew! So for me, all ended well. Not unlike DownUnderNZer. :) I'm relieved, as I wanted the whole thing to be done with.

gregory

That's great. The only dispute I ever opened with ebay they found the seller at fault but "could not refund my money" - so I got it back from my credit card - as you can under UK law - at which point ebay emailed to say I should have gone through their dispute process... WTF :confused: