Watch out for this scam on Ebay/Amazon!

earthair

Amazon Marketplace. Clicked on the 'new' options, as some didn't seem to know whether they were selling cards or a book I thought I'd be safest with the one who showed a photo of cards :joke:

Hey on the plus side, at least I did get cards :)

AJ- whole deck in perfect order...but XI and IX reversed! Maybe someone had a roman numeral fail?! Now if it had been VIII and XI I'd have maybe understood... :eek:

Laura Borealis

The box was very torn, you said - inside the cellophane?

Grizabella

For me, I wouldn't even care that it might have been opened, used and put back out of order. I'd be happy that I got the deck with no cards missing and in like new condition. It would be a happy bargain for me. :)

Also, since the box was very damaged, I'd think the cellophane inside would more likely be damaged by whatever damaged the box.

Sulis

I'm not really seeing why you say it's a scam.. It sounds to me as if they checked to make sure that all of the cards were there and then repackaged them.. Yes, they shouldn't have claimed that they were unopened but it's not as if the deck had been used and showed signs of wear.. You said yourself that the box and packaging may have been damaged in the post so it should have all been packed up better but many decks come with cards out of order.

I guess I just don't really get why you're calling it a scam.

earthair

For me, I wouldn't even care that it might have been opened, used and put back out of order. I'd be happy that I got the deck with no cards missing and in like new condition. It would be a happy bargain for me. :)

Agree, that's why I already said I wouldn't be returning it. I am just concerned that if we can't even trust photos of decks in cellophane then people buying expensive collector's decks need to be careful.

Also, since the box was very damaged, I'd think the cellophane inside would more likely be damaged by whatever damaged the box.

Damaged yes maybe, but not carefully cut in straight lines at strategically re-wrappable points!

Debra

No reason to expect cards in order. It's a function of the collating process.

gregory

I can't see it as a scam, either - and as you say, it was dirt cheap.

earthair

I can't see it as a scam, either - and as you say, it was dirt cheap.

So you think it's perfectly fine to do this as long as it's a cheap deck? At what price would it be a scam to advertise a deck as new, take misleading pictures and deliberately try to pretend it hasn't been cut open and played with? :confused:

Let's imagine for a moment this was bought by someone for whom £5 is a lot of money, and this is their first and only deck that they will ever afford, and they specifically do not want a deck with someone elses energy on it- is it then a scam?

earthair

No reason to expect cards in order. It's a function of the collating process.

Please read my reply to AJ. I don't, yet they were, except for 2 cards.

The fact that many replies to this thread think there is nothing wrong with what this seller did, and can't even seem to understand the facts of the matter or the principle at stake, is concerning.