"Are you a witch?"

Asbestos Mango

"No, I'm not a witch."

"But you read Tarot cards."

"Yes. I do."

"So you're a witch."

Gaaaaaaaak!

And then, I did a reading for the guy, and for the next three days he kept pestering me with questions about the reading and Tarot in general that I had already answered !!!

Sorry, just wanted to get that off my chest.

Red_Ocean

Well you should of told him. "YES! I'm a freaking witch and it you don't stop badgering me I'm going to turn you into a frog or a baboon!." :D

"No, I'm not a witch."

"But you read Tarot cards."

"Yes. I do."

"So you're a witch."

Gaaaaaaaak!

And then, I did a reading for the guy, and for the next three days he kept pestering me with questions about the reading and Tarot in general that I had already answered !!!

Sorry, just wanted to get that off my chest.

Disa

But are you a witch??? ;)

What a strange leap- I mean, why didn't he ask if you were a gypsy :)

Zechariah13

But are you a witch??? ;)

What a strange leap- I mean, why didn't he ask if you were a gypsy :)

well, if the guy was a midwestern american, then he might of thought that gypsies were extinct. Died out a little bit earlier than honest politicians. Where im from, Tarot is for Witches, not gypsies, or psychics, or even normal people.

Damn i hate the Midwest sometimes :(

KMilliron

"So you believe there could be something out there?"
"Yes."
"So you're Agnostic?"
"I'm an Agnostic Athiest."
"You can't be both."
"Sure I can."
"No you can't, now let me pretend I know more about religious termionology than I really do."

5 minutes later

"So there."
"You know what would really tick you off? I read tarot cards AND I'm an agnostic athiest."

That's how a lot of religious conversations go. I throw in tarot cards because its one of those assumptions that you have to be pagan or wiccan (or for the less than accepting, a devil/demon worshipper) so combine that with the fact that I'm both agnostic and athiest, and these sorts of people get real agitated, real fast.

Disa

well, if the guy was a midwestern american, then he might of thought that gypsies were extinct. Died out a little bit earlier than honest politicians. Where im from, Tarot is for Witches, not gypsies, or psychics, or even normal people.

Damn i hate the Midwest sometimes :(

Hmm... I did not know this.

Zechariah13

Hmm... I did not know this.

well, its an exaggeration. But the Midwest is predominantly conservative Christian, IIRC, and Missouri in particular is absurdly Catholic and Bass-Ackwardly Conservative. So that attitude wouldnt surprise me. I know that i didnt know that Gypsy technically referred to people of Romani descent (it is Romani, right?) until about a year ago. The only gypsy i had ever seen was Esmerelda from Hunchback of Notre Dame.

People here dont know a great deal about mystical traditions either. as far as theyre concerned Wiccan is just a term Witches use to avoid being referred to as witches. Oh! and they come out every halloween, steal your dogs and sacrifice them all to satan. Or at least thats what my mom said

Laura Borealis

I used to get asked this a lot. I'd usually turn it back on them. "No, are you?" It tended to discombobulate the conversation. People like to put other people into boxes, but if you imply they might be in the same box, sometimes you can derail their train of thought.

Asbestos Mango

People here dont know a great deal about mystical traditions either. as far as theyre concerned Wiccan is just a term Witches use to avoid being referred to as witches. Oh! and they come out every halloween, steal your dogs and sacrifice them all to satan. Or at least thats what my mom said

I'm originally from Indiana. They don't sacrifice dogs to Satan there, they sacrifice cats. But if they can't get a cat, they'll settle for a blond-haired, blue-eyed child. And Motley Crue is involved somehow.

Really, the rumor panics that circulated around the Midwest and South during the late '80's/early 90's were just ridiculous. Thank God, that era is over. I think.