"8 of Swords" really great mystery

Red Emma

When the hero of "Eight of Swords" does a reading for a college girl, the first card is the 8S, and it goes downhill from there. In fact the cards are so bad, he finishes the reading on the next to last, Strength, which he feels has some positive spin to it. Two days later the girl is kidnapped. (Talk about bound and confined!)

Our hero, who reads on the streets of Berkely, CA, is first and foremost a business man. To him the cards are a way to earn a living. Usually his reading goal is to give his clients some positive spin, some hope and good news in their lives. Then he finds that sometimes the cards take over and create their own message.

He daren't read for himself, for our hero is not who he seems to be. And because he'd given the girl one of his business cards, the police are led back to him. In fact, an FBI agent finds him oddly familiar. And tries to pin the kidnapping, and a subsequent murder on him.

Which means that Warren -- the name he's using for the moment -- has to find the girl before the FBI identifies him.

It's a wonderful book. Well plotted, well written. In additon for ATF'ers, tarot readings are the spine of the story. That part's well done as well.

Sorry I can't think of the author, but you can probably find it in your library, Amazon, or many other bookstores. It's one of the best mysteries I've read for a while, and well worth the search.

Apollonia

I looked up the author, and it's David Skibbins. This sounds so good, I just reserved it at the library.

tmgrl2

By David Skibbens (2005)....search at Amazon will give reviews and summary.

His new book is High Priestess.

Thanks, for the recommendation Red Emma...I ordered it from our library!!!

terri

tink27

This sounds really interesting - something to delve deeply into!

Thank you!

tink

firecatpickles

Maybe he is an AT member incognito? That would be cool.

Looks like I have found my summer vacay novel...

KK
:spade:

MeeWah

((((((Red Emma))))))

Ohhh, I saw this book in passing & dinna get it--have to remedy that now!

Thanks so much for the succinct book review!

tmgrl2

OK...all you Tarot-loving mystery-loving readers!! Red Emma has found us a winner!!

Thank you so much, RE! I just finished reading this page turner...what a great new series and this ...only the first one. I can't wait to read High Priestess....Guess we know who that is, right, Emma???

This book is loaded with Tarot readings and meanings...and the main character is way-cool......

On to the next one...

terri

fairyhedgehog

I've just got it out of the library :) So I hope it is as good as it sounds.

By the way, there are a couple of other thread about it here and here

Whitestar

OH MY!!!!!

I'm going on a trip next week and have been pondering what new book to get to read on the plane...

NOW I KNOW!!!!

Thanks thanks!!!

High Priestess looks really good as well!!!!!

~Evie