Thoth - best place to start!

Moonbow

Hi guys!

My large Thoth deck arrived a few days ago and so far I have been trying to get through the threads in this study group (so many!) but have done little else with the cards. I decided to hold off on a book for now because there is so much here to read.

I'm away for 4 days from tomorrow and I plan on taking Thothy with me, to get better aquainted, but........ gasp! I will have no internet access for this time!:eek:

Any ideas/advise on how I can get friendly with this deck for a few days. I plan on doing daily readings for myself and using it intuitively but any other guidence would be great.

Emily

Hi Moonbow,

Maybe start by just taking a plain journal with you and either work on the Majors or randomly pick cards out just writing what you see.

The Thoth is one deck that you could get lost in the artwork.

Take the two of cups -Keyword Love. Its a nice card, healthy looking lotus blossom pouring water in unison onto two entwined fish, who in turn feed a lotus blossom under the original flower - keeping both healthy. Water pours into two overflowing cups into water that looks clear and calm. There's alot of unity in this card - two of everything lol - Just a quick example of how I try to work my way through the Thoth. :) Might work for you without trying to get deep into the symbolism of the cards until you get more familiar with them.

I have trouble using the Thoth for readings but get alot out of the artwork. :)

Also the LWB is good.

mercenary30

You could always chose a few cards to focus on and print of the threads to take with you, then you would still have input from ATF.....

Moonbow

I had thought about printing off threads to study but my hubby may not take too kindly to me spending alot of time with Tarot this weekend. I was thinking more of taking a sneaky few minutes while he is in the shower........ that type of thing ;)

I also want to travel light so I think I will just journal what I see in the cards when I have a spare moment.

I really wish I had given this deck the time it deserves when I had it the first time around.

Have you ever tried meditating with this deck, it seems ideal to me, if I could just get Crowley out of my head. I have learnt the hard way not to trust everything I am told but to find out for myself. If I meditate on these and find out anything that I think is worth you all knowing I will come back from my trip and post it here.

CreativeFire

Hi Moonbow* - just spending some time 'looking' at the artwork of the cards would be a great way to start out over your weekend. This is deck that I am constantly being surprised with, in someone seeing something more in the card, just when I had thought that I had picked out all the different images and shapes in the card being studied :) The large Thoth is great for this!

We shall look forward to your return, and joining us in the study threads with your thoughts on this deck.

CreativeFire

Moonbow

Thanks CreativeFire

Well I did spend some time looking at the cards, reading the LWB and all three! meanings for the cards. I spent a bit of time with the Wand Courts and then picked a card (Ace of Swords) to look into.

I look forward to adding to the study group in the future. At the moment I have just scribbled notes on a few of the cards which will mean nothing to anyone but myself.

Little Baron

Studying with a few decks right now, but since I have revived my Thoth ... would any of you mind if I joined in for a little bit???

Yaboot

Moonbow

Ah Yab..... welcome :D

Of course it would be so good to see you in the Study Group... I am a beginner to the Thoth myself. I've been posting a daily card in Your Readings too and we could certainly do with some more people in there.

It's not far..... you won't even need the car, it's walking distance.... just over there... see?

And... bring that fancy new deck with you :D

Macavity

Take a (small?) copy (or just your memory) of the RWS - or other deck you are already familiar with. Lay out cards the side-by-side i.e. "RWS" with equivalent Thoth card (esp. minors). Look for the similarities, look for the differences. Think also about the Thoth's keywords. See how Thoth really does (IMO opinion, anyway!) fit into mainstream Tarot - but with significant and fascinating differences... ;)

Macavity

Little Baron

Thankyou Moonbow and Macavity. I drew the '6 of Cups' today and noted down what I thought. I then looked at what Banzhaf said in the 'Crowley Handbook' and a lot of it was spot on, which was nice. Maybe I will pop over there Moonbow and add some of my journal extracts and see if you can make sense of it.

Best wishes

Yaboot