Tarot of the Silicon Dawn - The Fool(s)

Eyebright

Those video cameras…

A visual reflexivity? We are conscious of the very construction of the 'image' of the Fool as a 'construct' (and by extension as a 'staged metaphor') because of our own 'awareness' of the cameras.

Is there also a certain social reflexivity? Does the 'crone' Fool alter/adapt her behaviour because she is conscious of the camera. Is she making an autonomous statement about her existence and role? She goes through with the repeated cyclical display…BUT knowingly. Could she/Would she have been able to act otherwise?

Am I just rambling?

Maybe the cameras represent us, as the observors of the metaphor of 'The Fool's Journey' through the major arcana?
I've just had a quick shufty through the rest of the deck and cameras also appear on The Hermit, The Universe and oddly the 9 of cups, though it's only one in each card whereas there are 2 in each of the Fool's cards. In the book both the hermit and the universe are described in terms of the fool (and the Hermit is even wearing a very similar or even the same outfit as the Mother Fool, though I guess that will be discussed when we study that card!), so there is a definite link with those cameras and the fool. I'm not sure why one is on the 9 of cups though!!!

Eyebright

I think this must be an old live journal of Egypt's and this post has some very interesting points about the fool cards, some of which we have picked up on!....here :)

Egypt Urnash

Yeah, that's a not-much-used blog specifically for the deck. Most of the stuff in there still applies, obviously. Note that the 0(-1) is not the "secret Fourth Fool" I mention in the comments there; ignore the bits about cybernetic Fools - that refers to the abandoned first take on the Fool whose sketch is at the top of the post.

There is indeed something hanging in the sky behind the 0(-1). This is a very superhero card, in which I pay a little homage to Mike Mignola and Jack Kirby, so it might not be a bad guess that dark sphere is a burnt-out husk of Apokalyps! In general I feel like the Killing Joke track "Black Moon" is talking about a lot of the same things that are going on this card. This is the Bad Trip fool.

Also a question for you to ponder: why does the building she's leaping off of have a luminous outline, with some spurious triangles across parts of it?

Fool(1)'s book: Like any artist, I go through a lot of sketchbooks. I mostly distinguish them from one another by painting something on the front of them. One time, I drew this elaborate septagram, with fake runes all around the edge.

I waited for months for someone to ask me what the symbol meant. Finally, someone did. "It's a symbol of confusion," I said. "Works, doesn't it?"

(And a tangent about the comics stuff - if fool(0) is the Invisible Woman, then which of the Fantastic Four do the other members of the Four Fools correspond to? Does that map to an elemental assignment? This is not a meaning I deliberately embedded in the drawings, but if it's there for the reader, then it's there.)

Elendil

...- if fool(0) is the Invisible Woman, then which of the Fantastic Four do the other members of the Four Fools correspond to? Does that map to an elemental assignment? This is not a meaning I deliberately embedded in the drawings, but if it's there for the reader, then it's there.)

Okay - Invisible Woman [Fool (0)] assigned most likely to AIR

'Super Fool' has got to be Johnny Storm 'The Human Torch' (Sue's younger brother) assigned obviously to FIRE.

That leaves Reed Richards 'Mr. Fantastic' (elastic man) and Ben Grimm 'The Thing' (supremo of endurance). These two are not as obviously assigned...

Mr. Fantastic had better be assigned to WATER and The Thing assigned to EARTH. I would go for Crone Fool as Mr. Fantastic (there is a maturity and self assurance about her although she is a Fool) and Mother Fool as The Thing...

Eyebright

Oh jeepers we're being set homework Elendil!!! :D

I agree with your assignments of the Fantastic 4. Mr. Fantastic works for water for me, as he is quite "fluid" in his movements!, and the Ben looks like he is made of rock! The crone fool has snowflakes in the scene and the sky is a blueish colour which all link it visually more to water, and the mother fool as earth works, as its a very earthy thing to do to be a mother and having sex to get pregnant in the first place.

Egypt I did wonder about that building, but I'm still mulling it over, so I'll get back to you with any thoughts I might get about that.

Thanks for participating with us, it's so illuminating!

NikkiB

I also use all the fools. I love having the extra cards.

My first thought with the fools were how representative they were of different beginning or cycles in our life, we may go into each cycle a different person depending on our previous experience and our association with the next cycle. So from that particular aspect I really like the versatility in a reading that the selection gives us.

Eyebright I really like the idea of us being the camera in the cards, watching the fool going along her journey, or perhaps it could be higher consciousnesses, spirit or higher self, watching but not interfering.. It seems interesting its in the cards like the Hermit as that suggests self searching and in the universe being a watcher of our own journey maybe? I mean how often to do we look objectively at our lives and how would it change our actions if we did... cameras dont lie so perhaps its the objectivity the fool lacks when taking action or in reaction.

What also interests me is that none of these fools (except perhaps A4) seem to have that trusting element to it, they seem to often be more interested in what they are moving away from or distracted by something. I dont see that trust and innocence overally in these fools more how we are often pushed into something new because of circumstances or mistakes.

The mother fool and aleph 4 seem to be the exceptions, I like the mother fool, I can relate to her, trying to gather everything she can while she trys to move forward but with so much eluding her, I think this is so common and a clever and relevant addition to the fools. The mothers boots are different coulers... another example of how her attention isn't in the real world? or red indicating a desire for adventure and opportunity with green indicating the practicalities?

The crone fool makes me think of a martyer for some reason, the camera following her makes me think of how we try to please others and in doing so don't look where our own lives are going. The dog is white, drained perhaps? with no more to give?? In the mother card this dog was blazing full of potential, but that seems to have dissipated here. Her black and white outfit suggest duality to me, trying to balance something, perhaps being two people,.. The snow flakes also interest me, obviously the winter of life goes well with this fool being the crone but also snowflakes are beautiful and intricate, they make me think of those cards and the study of how words can create particular ice formations, the more positive the word the more beautiful the ice/snowflake. It just feels that there is beauty and positively to be found in the winter cycle but not if your attention is on others. At this stage you should be moving forward into a new cycle with wisdom and knowledge, have learnt a lot and be taking it with you. Does this then indicate that every new cycle strips us back regardless of what we think we know?

The superhero fool looks to be running away from the snakey thing, and the dog looks like its putting the breaks on, the fools attention is behind her again and I am not sure from her arms if this leap is going to work, her legs look confident in take off, her arms less so. Her outfit suggests confidence in herself, seeing herself as a superhero but her situation seems to suggest that her circumstances arent quite so ideal - is she running away from the create because she has the wisdom to know when she is beat or because she is fearful and reacts with a very base instinct of flight - the dog is strong here so does that indicate her instinct is strong too. So perhaps with this fool we are putting on a persona of capable and confident but still worried and fearful inside and still making decisions based on that...

A4 seems a different fool entirely. She makes me think she is the mover and shaker of the fools. The checkerboard is all messed up, shes not going to conform, instead she takes off beyond boundaries blowing away structures that threaten restriction. The color of the background suggests confidence to me and it is interesting that the color of the checks on her legs changes the closer they get to her torso. at her feet they match the chessboard, perhaps this where she conforms or is grounded in conventional structure, as it gets futher up it turns to red, her creativity, her fire and her essence become stronger, her energy radiates enough to create this movement upwards and outwards. This one feels evolved to me, ready for the lift off willing to take risks... now the rocks have exploded with some hanging above her head, so maybe she is a little reckless, all that red on her body could be explosive energy, maybe its a bit untamed and explosive which could get her into trouble.

Shes left one foot on the floor so whats she breaking away from? convention, the boundaries? The normality. I think this lady sees her a moving beyond into something totally new. so maybe a little reckless but largely unafraid and explosively creative energy... shes not going to wait for opportunity I think she will create it!

I've got more thoughts but need to go do something - will be back!

swedishfish612

I really appreciate the thoughts you all have shared! They helped me in fleshing out how I want to read the different Fools. Initially I was daunted (FIVE different Fools? lol!) but I'm beginning to think they are genius, especially the Maiden/Mother/Crone Fools.

I think the M/M/C Fools represent the different type of leaps we take throughout our lives. They don't necessarily have to correspond to age, but more to mindset.

the Maiden Fool
- I love the "sketchiness" and the idea of her still developing herself really makes sense to me.

- The card is black and white because, like many youths, she has yet to see that the world is filled with many shades of grey...and all other sorts of colors, besides! She's at that point in her life that things are still black or white, good or evil, right or wrong, man or woman, etc. With time and experience, she will grow to see things very differently.

- This particular Fool could represent the sort of wild choices we make when we are still figuring out the world and our place in it. I think it could represent the kind of crazy risk-taking that many of us engage in when we still think we know everything. We're immortal and nothing will harm us. Look at how carefree this Fool is when she's at the top of a very high building! There's nothing distracting her; she's just convinced that no matter what, it will all be okay. She doesn't yet realize that there are consequences for her actions, that the world will not always bend to her will. She's not afraid because she doesn't know that there's anything to BE afraid of.

- I think this Fox represents her common sense and perhaps sometimes her conscience. This Fool is going to make some pretty dumb choices, but she's also going to learn the big lessons. She's going to shape the sort of person she will become.

the Mother Fool

- Unlike the Maiden Fool, this one has some experience behind her. She's fallen a time or two, and so she's better prepared (telescope, book, backpack of gear). She has creativity and drive, and is full (pregnant) of possibilities. She's on fire! But she's making the big mistake of thinking that her wisdom will save her and she's so wrapped up in that thought that her fall is inevitable!

- This is the Fool that will miss all of the warning signs. She will marry the wrong person, despite the red flags she saw while they were dating. She will launch herself into a career she doesn't love because she thinks the money and status is more important. She will refuse to stand up for herself out of a desire to please others.

- I think this Fox represents her intuition.

the Crone Fool

- She's been around the block a time or two, and she has battle scars. She knows what it's like to take that that giant leap into the unknown. Look at her face; she's excited, almost giddy. She's going to fall again and again, and she's okay with that.

- When this Fool falls, it's a choice. She's not afraid to revamp her life when something is no longer working. She will leave that broken marriage, start that new career, junk it all and move to Jamaica. It might all end up being a mistake, but that's okay...if it does, she's scrap it and try something else.

- I think this Fox could represent any number of things. Her conscience, when she makes a choice that she feels is selfish. Society, when she feels it judging her. Her self-doubt, that old inner voice that still plagues her.

Cameras- I'm still thinking about them, but I wonder if they might represent ourselves, in the way that we will mentally re-visit these big moments in our lives when we took foolish leaps into the unknown. I know I often replay the big moments of my life, even the ones that turned out well, and wonder "what if." What if I had gone away to college instead of staying close to home, because I didn't want to leave my boyfriend? What if I hadn't broken off my first engagement? What if I had stuck with my initial career choice and seen it through? What if I didn't have children when I did? And so on...

swedishfish612

Superhero Fool (or should it be Superfool? lol)

- I might be way off base here, but I feel like this Fool is going to fall because she's afraid. This is the cowardly Fool, running away from the monster that only she can see. She puts on a good front (superhero costume) but if she really believed it, wouldn't she be running towards her monster instead of away from it? There's definitely some fear on her face, but I think her little fox would rather confront the monster instead of leap off that building!

- I'm still fleshing this one out. I'm not sure how I'll read it when it comes up. Might have to try it and see!

Aleph-4

- The more I thought about this card, the more I felt like it was incredibly similar to the World/the Universe, so I'm glad to see from Egypt's post that I wasn't terribly off. This is the Fool who KNOWS she has wings and her fall is more triumphant and bold than the others. Less of a fall and more of a "watch out world, here I come" jump!

- I think this Fool has descended and is going to break all the barriers, turn the world upside down. She doesn't need her Fox anymore because she no longer doubts herself. She doesn't have cameras because she no longer cares who is watching. She's not self-conscious in the least.

- I kind of wonder if this is Egypt's personal card. It has her sigil, which she admits is a personal one. And she has kind of descended upon the Tarot world and broken up the structure and the form of Tarot as we know it. Are those the High Priestess' pillars that are collapsing behind this Fool? lol

- the sigil- Speaking of this, does anyone think the little symbol in the center is an abstract Fool? I see a little dude, carrying a stick and pack with his stuff packed in it (what do you call that thing. lol?) He looks quite jolly, like he's off on some grand adventure.

- I'm tempted to read this card as "Trust yourself, deep down you know what to do!"