3 runes are backwards in the Haindl tarot?

Skydancer

I don't have any of the rune sets, but from what I can find online it looks like Haindl's tarot cards were printed with the runes on the Priestess, Emperor, and Star cards backwards. Nothing is said about this in the Majors book by Rachel Pollack.

I had had no idea there were so many different versions of Runes until I went looking - and so many cultures. Fascinating. So - if you buy a Rune set make sure which version you are getting. There's Elder Futhark, Younger Futark ...

Back to tarot --- any ideas on why these card runes are printed backwards, when the rest of the correlations appear to all be correct? (printing-wise)

Thanks. It's my One Deck Wonder deck so I'm really extra curious about this.

I've even wondered if maybe it's not by accident - and it's as if it were written on a window and we (the reader) are to look at it as if from the other side of the glass. But this sounds more like Tarot of the 78 Doors - I still think this must be a printing error of some sort. Unless one of the MANY rune alphabets out there have these 3 in reverse.

I have this in the Tarot Decks area -- but maybe somebody here will be more familiar with the Haindl and open to discussion.

*S*

Umbrae

...which runes?

Standardization is a latter day thing. Take spelling. Spelling changes with languages, and in some languages there is no modern standard (Arabic for instance).

Uruz may slope either way…

Thurisaz may point left or right…

Kenaz may open right or left…

Gebo…well…it’s the same.

Hagalaz and Nauthiz may have the hash mark going either direction.

Perthro goes either direction also.

Points to remember as you study: the reversed rune (Merkstave) is a modern invention.
If you know what the rune is – it’s not backwards.

Skydancer

Oh thank you! I knew if I kept at this long enough I'd draw you out!! ;)

So - sloping can go either way. I've seen table after table on the iNet of one set after another - and so I thought that somehow there was a "set" way each variation was supposed to go. And I couldn't find one that filled all of Haindl's. Those 3 were variants. I am new to studying Haindl - runes, I-ching (which I already know a little) and then astrological associations - again, I've never paid much attention to those before. Now ... I get them all together in one fell swoop!

Thanks - so you're saying once I "get" the runes, I will understand that they are what they are without having to be concerned with which way a bridge or part is sloping. Right?

Thanks.
*S*

Skydancer

~ ~ Epiphany!!!! ~ ~

Oh for pete's sake. I get it. There are no meanings for these runes if they face another way, backwards, upside down, whatever. Some may have become "standardized" like Umbrae said - but they are still the same. So I looked again - and then it hit me. OUR letters are that way too. Backwards, they are still the same letter, but we now say they are "a backwards ... oh, P or Q" or whatever. BUT - it's still the same letter. It hasn't changed meanings or sounds. Or usage. This must be what dyslexic people have to learn. Or what 'we' make 'them' learn. They see some of the letters reversed and because schools teach in one mode they must rearrange their understanding/thinking to accomodate the standardized teaching modes.

When we put in the wrong letter it changes things. But if it's backwards - we tell them it's backwards from what has now been standardized. (We also will tell them it's 'wrong.' Not really the same thing.)

So - I get it now. :)
A big thank you to Umbrae for starting me down this path.
Didn't know it was going to be such a universally eye-opening understanding. I thought I was just going to learn a little something about Runes.

*S*

[had to edit: I read a little further and it doesn't matter if they are left-to-right or vice versa, but it does change the meaning if the Runes are upside down. Wanted to clarify that.]