~the Deck Of Shadows~

BeyondtheVeil

Hey Golden Moon! I am subbing to your thread to see if anyone has anything to say about them. I haven't heard of them before... but that isn't really surprising since I haven't heard of a lot of things! :D :laugh:

BodhiSeed

I just ordered these yesterday. I'll try to remember to post again when they arrive and let you know my impressions of them.

Dusk Till Dawn

Bodhran, do they accept PaYpal?

lunakasha

bodhran said:
I just ordered these yesterday. I'll try to remember to post again when they arrive and let you know my impressions of them.

Thanks, bodhran!

I went to the website (linked above) and tried to view the cards, but it was loading very slowly for me, and when I finally got a chance to see them, the scans were very small and hard to see.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts, and maybe you might scan and post some close-ups (pretty please)??? :D

Seeker*13* said:
Bodhran, do they accept PaYpal?

Yes, Seeker~ I am pretty sure I saw a PayPal button when I visited the website. :thumbsup:

:) Luna

SGrossberg

Perhaps this will help –

Noted Llewellyn author, Richard Webster, wrote the following about “The Deck of Shadows:”

"Scott Grossberg has just released a new oracle deck called the Deck of Shadows. It consists of 54 poker-sized playing cards, illustrated with black and white reproductions of appealing nineteenth-century paintings. Around each painting are four key words, making the deck extremely easy to read, even for novice readers. The deck can also be read as ordinary playing cards, if desired, as these are indicated at the top of each card. The two additional cards, Thummim and Urim, indicate yes and no.

"I was fortunate enough to receive a prototype of the deck, and have played with it extensively. I started using the traditional playing card interpretations, and found that worked well, but my readings improved enormously when I started using the pictures and keywords as well. My 12-year-old granddaughter loves the deck, and began giving readings with it right away. She totally ignored the playing card suits, as she wasn't familiar with them, but immediately gave good readings using the pictures and keywords.

"The cards are beautifully produced on good quality playing card stock. The deck comes with a 36-page booklet of instructions. I recommend these highly."

A professional reader on the East Coast, Tony Iacoviello, also wrote the following review:

"This is a beautiful pack of cards. The work that went into them is phenomenal, there are so many layers and these cards will fit into most anyone’s reading style or provide a unique method for those who do not have one as of yet.

"Scott sent me a prototype early this year and I was blown away by the detail and possibilities of the pack. I’ve recently received a production set and am even more amazed by the refinements and additions that are there.

"Last month I took these cards out to several events resulting is about 120 readings with them. I normally do a 5 card spread for these functions which require a short reading, and when not using tarot I use a variation on the Lenormand deck (Zingara, the Art Deco pack, or a deck I that was originally passed down to me from my grandmother from the 1930s/40s). I use them because of the imagery and colorful nature of the cards and was wondering if I could adapt to the Deck of Shadows.

"To fully appreciate what Scott has done, I opted to use his “What’s Real-What’s Not” and the “Desire – Defy – Escape” spreads (2 and 3 card spreads) from the booklet that comes with the cards. I also adapted and used a one card read to read the person’s current situation/major concern. My only concern was if the black and white cards from a deck that was new to me would inspire me and open me up as much as full colored cards from decks I had been using for decades.

"The cards were a hit with both the sitters and with me. The clean look of the black and white card with the image of a piece of classical art was just that, classy. For me, there was so much information on the card that opened up to me, my primary function became filtering it so that I could finish the reading in the limited time I had.

"For example, “Metamorphosis” was selected in a one card reading. The meaning of the card is change in appearance of a person or thing (meaning of the word); subsidiary meanings (printed on the card) are growth, disruption, physical change, the symbol (on the card) is the butterfly, the painting on the card is Pygmalion and Galatea, and the playing card associated with it (printed on the card) is the 10 of spades.

"The 10 of spades, excessive work or conflict, a numerological 1 (leadership, ambition, independent), corresponding tarot (10 Swords) which in my deck is Ruin and depicts a face that appears to have may sides (3 faced) with other elements mixed in indicating being pulled in many different directions, deceit, and fear of madness.

"All of this from a single card, and this is before I consider the other aspects, self perception, perception of others, and all the Masks that the card can represent. (Even without factoring in my intuitive feelings of the person).

"As I said, these cards were a hit. So not only do they look great and very classy, they are exceptional as an oracle and be used out of the box (literally) as an oracular system or as an adjunct to systems that you already do, card reading, images, numerology, tarot…

"Highly recommended. "

As to some of the questions that have been asked:

1. PayPal is accepted.

2. Some of the images on the cards depict the "classic nude." They are from 19th century, classical painters – they are not crude or “nasty”

3. Having carefully followed the trials and tribulations of other creators – in particular, Ciro – with images of his cards being used without permission, I chose not to include scans of full card images. I believe the images on the website will give you a good “feel” for what the cards are about. Make sure you click on the thumbnail images on the website as they will take you to larger images.

Hope all of this helps. – Scott Grossberg (thinkingmagically@gmail.com)

lunakasha

SGrossberg said:
3. Having carefully followed the trials and tribulations of other creators – in particular, Ciro – with images of his cards being used without permission, I chose not to include scans of full card images. I believe the images on the website will give you a good “feel” for what the cards are about. Make sure you click on the thumbnail images on the website as they will take you to larger images.

Hope all of this helps. – Scott Grossberg (thinkingmagically@gmail.com)

Thanks, Scott. As I am a "visual" person, I really need to see some cards before deciding whether or not to purchase them. I will try clicking on some cards and see if this helps.

:) Luna

BodhiSeed

Luna,
Here's another website you might try:
http://www.vinnymarini.com/deckofshadows/
You can click through the pictures, so maybe you won't have problems with them loading. There are more pictures of the box than the cards though!:D
Of course after what Scott posted, I understand his position.

lunakasha

bodhran said:
Luna,
Here's another website you might try:
http://www.vinnymarini.com/deckofshadows/
You can click through the pictures, so maybe you won't have problems with them loading. There are more pictures of the box than the cards though!:D
Of course after what Scott posted, I understand his position.

Thanks, bodhran! :*

That site worked much better for me~ and I like what I see, but for the most part, they are just "teaser" pics :eek:....I need to see MORE! ;) LOL Oh well....

I am looking forward to hearing your comments when the deck arrives.

:heart: Luna

BodhiSeed

I got the deck today!:D The cardstock is thinnish, with a lovely linen finish; they shuffle like a dream. The cards are a small size, approximately 2 1/2 by 3 1/2 inches. Some of the paintings used are: Dante and Virgil in Hell, Lady Godiva, The Death of Cleopatra, Springtime, Lilith, and Sir Galahad. I love the choices of pictures, but wish they were larger. There is a large border with one main keyword and three smaller keywords. The paintings are only 1 1/4 by 1 3/4 inches - almost too small to appreciate, although they are lovely. I like the black and white color scheme, but would love to see these in a sepia tone if there were to be a second edition. The LWB is larger than the box, so it was outside the deck in a black organza bag. Each card is associated with a playing card, and also has a symbol associated with it. For instance, the "Underdog" card that features the painting of Lady Godiva (Collier) is paired with the Seven of Clubs with the symbol of a broken wheel. I've only done one reading with the cards so far, but the meaning wasn't very clear. I think these cards will take some time for me to get familiar with, and then the readings may make more sense to me.