publishing rights about an idea

Luna-Ocean

Thanks to everyone's replies, my friend doesn't want to go down the Lawyer's route she's been told it could end up being costly as well, as said before if a publisher likes the proposal of the decks idea i would hope they came on board to help her design a LWB?

As it stands with the illustrator he doesn't want to get back in touch she has left numerous calls and emails? it is a shame to of gone through all of that work and effort together, i'm not sure what he will want to do with the books contents that been done as the main deck creation is fully in her hands.

Meemai

Thanks to everyone's replies, my friend doesn't want to go down the Lawyer's route she's been told it could end up being costly as well, as said before if a publisher likes the proposal of the decks idea i would hope they came on board to help her design a LWB?

As it stands with the illustrator he doesn't want to get back in touch she has left numerous calls and emails? it is a shame to of gone through all of that work and effort together, i'm not sure what he will want to do with the books contents that been done as the main deck creation is fully in her hands.

Probably it's not about what he can do but something like pride etc. Now that book they made together is one thing but she can do a whole other one. With changes etc, then the problem is solved it will cost time and effort. But it can be done. I've seen a lot of tarot bookles they shows the cards and explain things. They all look alike ins tructure etc, but I doubt they sue each other on a daily basis.

Luna-Ocean

Probably it's not about what he can do but something like pride etc. Now that book they made together is one thing but she can do a whole other one. With changes etc, then the problem is solved it will cost time and effort. But it can be done. I've seen a lot of tarot bookles they shows the cards and explain things. They all look alike ins tructure etc, but I doubt they sue each other on a daily basis.

Yes i agree with what you have said i think she will continue doing some sort of LWB for the time being with what she had previously contributed and just keep working with her own ideas, i didn't realize how much hard work it was being involved with another person on a project which can often result in problems along the way?

Meemai

Yes i agree with what you have said i think she will continue doing some sort of LWB for the time being with what she had previously contributed and just keep working with her own idea's, i didn't realize how much hard work it was being involved with another person on a project which can often result in problems along the way?

Not just business wise how many relations die off, we first find a person kind and beautiful we get in a fight and he's certainly the worst scumbag on the earth. Anything that you do with someone else can become a nightmare.

tarotbear

The Road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Unfortunately, since this involves something being produced and published for money - this was a business deal and it needed a contract - which also would detail who does what, who is in control of what, and who gets the final say over what - and how the money gets paid and/or divided.

Based on my experience where I wanted to re-publish my book after my publisher let it go OOP - I retained the rights to my manuscript but not the artwork - which was owned by USGS. When they wanted an arm and a leg for 'new' royalties (my publisher had paid them up until this time) I turned around and found a royalty-free version of the RWS and re-published my book with those.

Just my two cents - but the art and the text need to be separated as belonging to the original contributor and given back. If the book is still to go forward it needs to be re-written.

HudsonGray

That happened to a friend too, she'd written a book, which went out of print and back into her ownership, but the artwork was done by another person so she had to take that out and put in new images.

tarotbear

... My friend wants to go with a certain book publisher that are also interested in printing [the] Tarot [deck], she thinks her illustrator friend might not let her use what he has done for her even though it was a joint effort with both ideas and it was her card images illustrated in the book.

This confuses me to no end! Why would someone that created images that are/were to be published NOT want them to be published - by anyone? Does the publisher really matter so much? The fact that the publisher wants to print the book AND the deck (many times they are printed by two different printers and assembled by one of the publishers) says they 'are very interested' to me!

AJ

do we even understand the original post? :)

the deck art was done by her friend. The deck is hers alone.

It was only the book, which the friend wrote, that she felt needed illustrations.

Why can't she use her own deck art in the book?

Or...does the deck art belong to someone else?

Luna-Ocean

It was only the book, which the friend wrote, that she felt needed illustrations.

Thanks for all the new replies AJ as you have mentioned her friend was helping more with the written ideas so not really to do with the art work as such, i think she needs to redo everything herself to do with the book text, so i was just looking to see if a publisher will help her on doing that if they had liked her proposal?

tarotbear

Maybe the original post needs to be revisited (READ: revised for clarity, i.e. 'artist', 'author', etc - not 'they', 'her,' or 'friend.'). The deck is hers alone - which hers? The owner of the deck or the artist of the deck?

IMHO - the deck art belongs to the artist that drew it - especially if it was not 'work for hire' or 'paid art.' Similarly, if a photographer takes MY picture, the image belongs to the photographer, not me. Even if I pay him to take my picture, the image is owned by the photographer ... who can use it as he wants, even if we have a contract.