Are there any tarot decks that you dislike?

Violet Gargoyle

The Unicorn Tarot just doesnt do it for me. Never had it, never will.

Same for the Dragon tarot.

I am not sure why really, my tastes go far and wide, but these two just dont trip my wire.

I can't bring myself to get the Robin Wood Deck either.

Demonesse

Oh, there are tons of decks I'll happily admit to hating, but actually the Robin Wood isn't one of them, although I find it way too utopian *ducks in the other corner*

Decks I hate:

1.The Motherpeace (and most of the other round decks)
2. The Celtic Dragon (you call these firebreathers?)
3. Most of the Rider-Waite clones
4. The Bosch Tarot (full of ugly, malicious creatures...this deck just gives me a very bad feeling, and I think it's intended to do so- what a 'success')
5. Dali Tarot (Any rotten tomatoes to throw at it?)
6. Feng Shui Tarot (read my other post)
7. Universal Tarot (well not all of it, maybe about half)

....and many more! :)

Although I have to admit, sometimes I change my views on decks - I used to dislike the Halloween Tarot and Pet Tarot immensely, but have since developed a partiality towards them *sheepish grin*

SherryZoned

Gareth Knigh! Thoth! I can't bring myself to get the Robin Wood either..

Keslynn

I am absolutely repelled by the Tarot Erotica (Lori Walls). The other ones are merely a strong dislike. ;) Some of those are:
Winged Spirit
Templar
Golden Dawn (Cicero)

That's all I can think of for now though I'm sure there are others.

:) Kes

Phoenix

Hehehe, most people here know which deck I hate! I absolutely dislike with a passion the Hanson-Roberts! The deck is enturely too fluffy, and the gigantic heads are a big turn off. You couldn't PAY me enough to get this deck.

Demonesse, you should read the book that comes with the Celtic Dragon Tarot. It explains why some of the dragons don't look like they breathe fire.

LILIANA!! How dare ye say that about the Voyager!! I like that deck! Oh well. It's ok if you don't like it. It IS a little muddy, but I still like it!

Demonesse

Demonesse, you should read the book that comes with the Celtic Dragon Tarot. It explains why some of the dragons don't look like they breathe fire.

---Phoenix

*evil grin* Read the Celtic Dragon book? I'd rather be stuck in a barrel bristled with nails!

No offense :) The artwork just seems ...mild.

Kirali

I'm a snob too :\ I only like aesthetic decks. I don't like photographic/cgi decks. I like really fine art. ie: Rohrig! You can see the face fuzz on the people! I love detailed artwork. It has to be painted/drawn for me to like it. I don't like primitive art either. It just seems to me that paintings and drawings take more work and are more involved than photographic decks so they hold more meaning to me.

So I don't like Shining Tribe artwork even though I like Rachel Pollack's written work.
I love visiting the Dali museum here but when I thumbed through the deck, I was expecting some of his famous paintings to be on the cards or something better than what I saw. It looked like he just had fun writing his name and shapes over the cards. :(

On another note, I didn't think that I'd be attracted to the Halloween Tarot but I finally got it and I love it. :)

No offense of course!! hehe
But you never know! I might cave and buy a photographic deck, but I don't foresee that in the near future. ;)
~Kira

Myrrha

There have been decks that I enjoyed playing with but did not love enough to keep: The Egipcios Kier, Enchanted Tarot, Elemental Tarot, Magickal Tarot (I liked the calligraphy and wonderfully pompous Golden Dawn titles). The decks that annoy me most are the Robin Wood and ECR Witches Tarot, because of the art not any aversion to paganism. (No offense ti anyone who likes these decks, that's why they make rum raisin *and* pistachio, right?)

Lovelace

I'm a big Tolkien fan, so my mom got me the Lord of the Rings deck as a Christmas present one year. Really goofy, obviously thrown together quickly for merchandising purposes, and you can tell from the very first card - they have Gollum as the Fool. One of the most singleminded and goal-oriented characters in literary history, nice! Still, since that presumably wasn't a really serious deck... I've never used one, but I have a real aversion to overtly feminist decks, since it seems silly to intentionally tilt the balance of the Tarot. Same goes for decks that are too New-agey sweetness and light, or too uber-gothy shadows and darkness. I don't like the Nigel Jackson, although the art is lovely - I'm not sure how to put it, but it seems too quiet to me. Hard to communicate with.

:T9P

Zhritza

Rhiannon, you got rid of the PoMo? (swoon) This means you held it in your hands... you have touched the glory... okay, okay ;)

I got to this thread too late; pretty much all my unfavorites have been named. I will say that, after looking at in online and actually trying to like it, I am still put off by the Cosmic Tribe (although of course I'm happy about the Lovers cards). That guy on the Devil card... oyyyyyyy. I almost bought the Gendron once but saw it online just in time to stop myself.

The Osho Zen looks sort of plastic, despite all the work that seems to have gone into the art. I have the Enchanted (formerly Golden Dawn) Tarot from Lo Scarabeo, and I like it -- especially the majors -- but nevertheless I think the Avalon, Gnomes, and Fairy are all pretty dang silly. The Goddess, I'm sorry to say, is ultimately too fluffy. The Hudes seems pointless because it's kind of like a rawer, slightly darker version of the Connolly and/or the Hanson-Roberts. The Native American Tarot and the Southwest Tribes are both flat-out badly drawn.

I recently saw something at work called the Angel Tarot, which was actually a butt-ugly Marseilles clone (and incidentally, no angels anywhere to be seen). Its deceptive name makes it dumber still.