Tarot And Religion

Baroli

Hokie Smokes Bullwinkle!!! Le Pendu Rockie and Bullwinkle are my favorite of all!!!!YYAAAAAAAAYYYY!!!! OH!! What was the thread thesis statment again?

Religion and Tarot. Hmmm, I am a Bible believing Baptist, a HOOOOOLy Roller (can I get a Amen!!) My best friend is the Rev.Dr. C. D. Monegoinmypockets and his enterage of ladies The Hallelujah Chorus. :D:p

Seriously, I am a Christian my denomination is Baptist, I do enjoy going to church to worship (we have the coolest pipeorgan). However, I do believe that God is all around us and you don't need a building to worship God. I rather like the peacefulness on the ocean.

autumnsdaughter

I don't really know what I am anymore... I have been exploring for a while now, and I am not really any one thing.

Paganism, especially of the Celtic flavor, really appeals to me, but I am not totally Pagan...

What I believe is that the universe- and everything in it, is made up of pure, creative energy, and that this energy flows through everything and has created everything... we get to choose whether we let it flow through us or not.

I believe that goddesses/gods/angels/faeries/everything else do exist, as energy... and that all energy is equally divine, physical and non physical... I believe that this energy is never created nor destroyed, it merely changes form, and that our essential beings survive past death.

I love connecting with the Celtic energy (especially Welsh) and Norse as well. Taoism is appealing to me, Buddhism too... Christianity not so much, but the is due to an unpleasant past.

Regular rituals are not important to me- I'd rather walk through the woods and lean against a tree. One of the earliest sacred moments I remember, of experiencing that feeling of Oneness was at a Bible camp when I was 7. I remember looking up at the sky, and seeing those millions of stars... I felt so connected to the whole universe. Those moments, which I feel now and then, are the basis of my spirituality.

NightWing

Tarot & Religion

Since the Tarot is not a religion in itself, but it clearly can aid one's spiritual life, I cannot see why people of any religious belief (or none) can't use it to their advantage.

It is true that some people of a more fundamentalist inclination condemn the Tarot, and probably fear it. But generally they condemn a great many things, usually including the beliefs of everyone who disagrees with them. It makes for a very small, dry, dim, and boring life for them, I would think.

Here on AT, there are various types of Christians, including Catholics and a wide variety of Protestants, as well as Buddhists, Hindus, Wiccans, Druids, and a whole huge group of others, not to mention complete atheists. That real people of all kinds of spiritual backgrounds are interested in and practice Tarot says something to me. They have all accessed the Tarot and found it useful. Whatever the narrow and frightened little people say is really of no consequence.

As long as no one is forced to use the Tarot, read on!

SolSionnach

Raya said:
United Methodists are fairly accepting too. A United Methodist minister got in trouble a few years back for performing a marriage/civil union ceremony for a gay couple.

I note that Alamaris is in Canada, and I *believe* that there are very gay-friendly Anglican churches... but like in the Episcopal in the US, there are some reactionary parishes, too. The church in general is in flux on LGBT issues - while a lot of the mainline protestants (Presbyterians, Lutherans, Episcopalians, Methodists) realize that it's not a bible issue, it's a human rights issue, many more fall back on the old "Thou shalt not"s. I, for one, wouldn't go to a church that wouldn't be accepting to my LGBT friends. I mean, REALLY!

Back to tarot - yes, Cosmic Tribe has 3 alternative lovers cards (gimmick?), and there was a non-gendered lovers card for the Greenwood that some people got when they went to seminars with Chesca Potter, before she got religion and disavowed the whole thing. :\

mystic mal

I have landed myself a guy who is a practising Roman Catholic who is always quoting passages from the Bible to me.He will never live "outside" of the words he reads or question anything.The other day I said "He came down from Earth to Heaven" HOW? Parachute? Bungee jump?It MUST have been a spaceship as was the star of Bethlehem as stars are fixed constellations and cant move along in a straight line and shine a beam down.AND..What about the line in that hymn "Sun and moon bow down before him,dwellers all in time and space"? Isnt that saying there are higher more advanced beings out there? After all, WE are space people.
He listens to me ranting on about my Naturalist ways of thinking too but his only reply is "I'll stick with Jesus".
I take an awful lot of symbolism from the Bible and incorporate it with my Tarot cards and its as plain as the nose on your face its all aspects of God.We are all like buses,with different numbers on,going to different places on roundabout routes but at the end of the day we all come back to the depot.

shaveling

Alamaris said:
As for the other point you mentioned -- I wonder if there's an online resource for finding LGBT friendly churches in one's area. I hear people saying they know of them or have heard of them, but I haven't located one yet.
The leads you've been given here are good ones. And maybe CLOUT (Christian Lesbians OUT) would have some suggestions.

But I think that in real terms the best thing for local information is to ask around locally. Just tell the gays and lesbians you know or meet that you are wondering which churches are lavender-friendly, and check them out.

shaveling,
liturgy queen extraordinaire

Grizabella

No kidding, mystic mal? Doesn't he get on your nerves with that? He sure would mine!

My Higher Power was kind enough to wait till my late husband had left this life before introducing me to Tarot. I really appreciate that because I know my Tarot would have upset him a lot. He'd have been very kind about it and even bought decks for me, but I think it would have really worried him since he was Adventist.