Getting serious about the Tarot this year

Ruby Jewel

Happy new year to everybody!

This year I'm going to work hard on (and with) the tarot in my life. I want to move past it being something I'm interested in or something I dabble in - I want it to be something I do and something I do well.

I've been studying every day to get some solid theory in my head before I go back to practicing and combining the theory with my intuition. I hope to see a lot of you in the reading exchange section as we help each other to further our understanding of this wonderful tool.

Is there anybody else who wants to come to the next level with me?

One thing I have discovered in my tarot studies is that every card is like a diamond with many "facets." There are myriad definitions out there for every card, each one a facet of the character of that card. As one gains skills in reading one of those facets comes into play, revealing the story behind the spread. Only your intuition will make the connection, but a knowledge of the many aspects of the card is what feeds the intuition. Good luck with your studies. There are a million roads to the mountaintop.

Dogs&Coffee

I want to take my tarot to the next level, too. Why am I so insecure about reading for others? Shouldn't I try to participate here on AT on reading circles and also try to read IRL? I really think about starting to make tarot a part of my professional life, too, i.e., giving courses or lectures. But I'm always so insecure and feel I'm not good enough, don't know enough. How stupid is that????

So yes, I want to get serious about tarot and myself this year!

Hi Nemia,

I don't know if this will help with your "stage fright" but one way I've been getting in practice reading for other people is using an anonymous "confessions" app to offer free mini readings with the caveat that feedback is given, and one question per person per session, and no "heavy" questions are asked. Light hearted fun questions only. I still get nervous, but it's slowly getting better. The best part is they can't see me fumble through a book to reference a card I might not know well yet or google an alternate meaning to a card I don't quite think fits the situation.

Worst case, something isn't spot on accurate, or someone pokes a little fun, but for the most part people have enjoyed it. Nothing gets you over insecurity like people you don't know telling you that you gave them a good reading. :3

Manfeex

Hi Nemia,

I don't know if this will help with your "stage fright" but one way I've been getting in practice reading for other people is using an anonymous "confessions" app to offer free mini readings with the caveat that feedback is given, and one question per person per session, and no "heavy" questions are asked. Light hearted fun questions only. I still get nervous, but it's slowly getting better. The best part is they can't see me fumble through a book to reference a card I might not know well yet or google an alternate meaning to a card I don't quite think fits the situation.

Worst case, something isn't spot on accurate, or someone pokes a little fun, but for the most part people have enjoyed it. Nothing gets you over insecurity like people you don't know telling you that you gave them a good reading. :3

that is a good idea! never knew there was a place that you can do that! x

Dogs&Coffee

that is a good idea! never knew there was a place that you can do that! x

My favorite one is Candid. 100% anon and no limit to post size. It's also a fun place to sew dragon's teeth. I know, probably not the best for my karma but I just can't help myself muahaha.

Manfeex

My favorite one is Candid. 100% anon and no limit to post size. It's also a fun place to sew dragon's teeth. I know, probably not the best for my karma but I just can't help myself muahaha.

Dragons teeth? Lol x

Dogs&Coffee

Dragons teeth? Lol x

Sowing Dragon's Teeth is an olde time term for trolling. It references Jason and the Argonauts, specifically the part where in order to win the golden fleece he has to kill a dragon then plant the teeth in a field. The teeth grow into battle ready soldiers and he has to kill them all and survive. So instead of fighting he discretely throws a pebble at the helmet of one of the soldiers, who then blames another soldier, and they all fight amongst themselves. Yay greek mythology!

Manfeex

Sowing Dragon's Teeth is an olde time term for trolling. It references Jason and the Argonauts, specifically the part where in order to win the golden fleece he has to kill a dragon then plant the teeth in a field. The teeth grow into battle ready soldiers and he has to kill them all and survive. So instead of fighting he discretely throws a pebble at the helmet of one of the soldiers, who then blames another soldier, and they all fight amongst themselves. Yay greek mythology!

Oh that's pretty fascinating!

EmpyreanKnight

I'm gonna maximize my time this year and focus more on my Tarot studies. I've got enough Tarot books to make my head spin. Since I focused almost exclusively on the Thoth last year, I think this 2017 I and the Rider Waite are gonna get more intimate.

I wish all the guys here the best in their Tarot endeavors. :)

FinoAllaFine

One thing I have discovered in my tarot studies is that every card is like a diamond with many "facets." There are myriad definitions out there for every card, each one a facet of the character of that card. As one gains skills in reading one of those facets comes into play, revealing the story behind the spread. Only your intuition will make the connection, but a knowledge of the many aspects of the card is what feeds the intuition. Good luck with your studies. There are a million roads to the mountaintop.

Excuse me for replying so late. Your post mirrors my feelings exactly. My sense of intuition is pretty strong, but I feel like studying the medium of Tarot itself can only be beneficial.

Here I am a week later with a working basic understanding of tarot almost complete. A million roads and one end objective.

FinoAllaFine

I'm gonna maximize my time this year and focus more on my Tarot studies. I've got enough Tarot books to make my head spin. Since I focused almost exclusively on the Thoth last year, I think this 2017 I and the Rider Waite are gonna get more intimate.

I wish all the guys here the best in their Tarot endeavors. :)

Great stuff! Which books are you reading now?