Conflicting Tarot Readings

grubbaj0

I do believe in the power of tarot and I want to continue to do so but I feel confused when I have conflicting tarot readings. For example, I requested a free tarot reading about a business idea. While I was waiting for that to be done(it takes up to a week), I went and had a tarot reading done in person. She covered daily life, relationships and I asked her about the business idea I had. She did a spread that was largely positive. I think the 7 of swords popped as the only negative card. Then a couple of days later, I received my free tarot reading (written format) and it was completely negative. The seven of swords popped up in that one as well so there was overlap, but there weren't any positive cards in this reading. I'm not the kind of person to keep asking the tarot the same question until I see what I want, but this disheartened me. And it wasn't because I had a negative reading but because I had one that was super positive and one that was really negative within the same week and on the same topic. Why would this happen and how do I keep on believing that the tarot cards have a message for me and not that it's just a random amalgamation of cards that I breathe meaning into. I don't want to come across as skeptical but I would love to hear how you have dealt with this and what you learned through it.

Grizabella

If I were to choose between a free, automated reading and an in-person reader, I'd choose the in-person reading. Online readings can be a very good thing, depending on the reader, but being face-to-face is the best of all,I in my opinion.

I wish you well about your business idea. :)

LeFou

I don't want to come across as skeptical...

Actually, you should be -very- skeptical.

...not that it's just a random amalgamation of cards that I breathe meaning into...

What if that's -exactly- what a reading is? A Rorschach (ink plot patterns that come alive and reveal parts of yourself that are otherwise unknown)? To me, that's what Tarot is, and once we treat it like that, it works really smoothly and reliably (just one opinion, of course).

My advice would be simply this: pull your own cards, and read your own cards. Nobody will read your cards as well as you (at least that's my experience).

grubbaj0

If I were to choose between a free, automated reading and an in-person reader, I'd choose the in-person reading. Online readings can be a very good thing, depending on the reader, but being face-to-face is the best of all,I in my opinion.

I wish you well about your business idea. :)

The reading was from a real person, it was just done by someone elsewhere. Thank you though!

Barleywine

Because of my personal beliefs about the way tarot divination "works," I would always trust the face-to-face reading more as long as you actually handled the cards. If not, you should pull your own cards and read them.

SunChariot

As I see it, there are 2 possible explanations.

Either one of the readings was wrong. It does happen for different reasons. Either the reader was not focuses or tuned in well and misread the cards. Or it can even happen sometimes that some people only pretend to be readers and just make things up. There are some dishonest people out there pretending to be readers. OR one of the readers made a mistake. No one is perfect. But for whatever reason, to me it seems that EITHER one of the 2 readings was wrong.

OR since one readings was done about a week later, the future may have changed between the time one reading was done and the next. That is the thing about questions on the future. They future can change and it is not set in stone. The direction things are heading can change within the time frame of a week and then even change back again.

This doesn't happen everyday, as we are creatures of habit. But the future you are heading towards in the frame of a week can change. Sometimes even being told the future (having a reading on it) can be enough to change it. If your thoughts and feelings change because of what you hear in a reading, that can cause you to react differently in some ways and that can change the future at times.

Babs

Grizabella

The reading was from a real person, it was just done by someone elsewhere. Thank you though!

I see. Well, what I mean is that a living and breathing person would be my choice over an automated one. I just assumed when you said a free online reading that you meant one of those sites where you give your question and some kind of automated gizmo chooses the cards and meanings. :)

andromedastarseed

The cards can be tricksters, if you get too attached to an outcome or keep asking about it, they will give you conflicting results. Keep yourself neutral when asking. You can always ask what do I need to know about this subject TODAY. It keeps you free from Oracle/Tarot abuse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

euripides

you get what you pay for (some of the time).

I'd always go with the in-person - the cards can be pretty ambiguous and the reader will pick up on your vibes in person in a way that they won't at a distance. I tend to be of a mind with Le Fou - the cards are a kind or Rorschach (except when I'm indulging my superstitious side, which isn't often) - but Babs also has a point - the future isn't fixed.

With future readings, I see it as 'this is where I'm headed right now'. It can be up to me to change my path.

ravenest

I do believe in the power of tarot and I want to continue to do so but I feel confused when I have conflicting tarot readings. For example, I requested a free tarot reading about a business idea. While I was waiting for that to be done(it takes up to a week), I went and had a tarot reading done in person. She covered daily life, relationships and I asked her about the business idea I had. She did a spread that was largely positive. I think the 7 of swords popped as the only negative card. Then a couple of days later, I received my free tarot reading (written format) and it was completely negative. The seven of swords popped up in that one as well so there was overlap, but there weren't any positive cards in this reading. I'm not the kind of person to keep asking the tarot the same question until I see what I want, but this disheartened me. And it wasn't because I had a negative reading but because I had one that was super positive and one that was really negative within the same week and on the same topic. Why would this happen and how do I keep on believing that the tarot cards have a message for me and not that it's just a random amalgamation of cards that I breathe meaning into. I don't want to come across as skeptical but I would love to hear how you have dealt with this and what you learned through it.

I learned that the tarot predicts nothing nor gives advice about anything definitive . So I take readings as 'scenarios' that may or not eventuate; now or in the near or distant future.

A good deck and reader should be able to discern the 'lesson' in each reading and apply that if things do eventuate similar to the reading . So really, you could do 100 readings on one question , and of course , they will all be different . You might get 'lucky' and throw the same cards in the same positon if you use a reading with a small number of cards .