Thoth: Loves newbies, hates muddlers?

FLizarraga

My experience with the Thoth has been an interesting one. When I had just started learning Tarot, I remember picking up the Thoth and getting crystal clear, eerie accurate readings with it. The clarity was such that it would make me laugh out loud.

Time have passed, and I have learned a lot, but not enough. Mostly what happens is that the reader in me resists sticking to a particular system, or even making up one, and insists instead in muddling through them all, picking up bits and pieces here and there, using or discarding them at whim. I try to convince this part of me to be more consistent, more thorough, but it just won't listen.

And alas, as I have discovered, at this stage of my learning, the Thoth is closed to me. I can of course lay down the cards and parrot learned meanings, but can't really see anything anymore, and especially not the big picture.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Thoughtful

Not with the Thoth as l do not own it yet. But that has been exactly my experience with RWS, annoying but it will not work with me. Anyhow l have decided to buy the Thoth and see where that takes me, its been drawing me for years so l am curious to see why.

Girl Archer

Mine basically told me during the deck interview that our relationship would be a "failure" :laugh: (drew the 7 of Coins)

Thoughtful

7 coins failure oh that's a bit harsh hope you still persevering with it though. Let it know who's boss.

When l get my Thoth in a few days time l think l will just gaze at the artwork and hope l can achieve a connection. A deck interview will come later l think. Usually with new decks l do an interview straightaway but l want to be sure the Thoth gets to know my sensitivities and treats me gently :joke:

MissChiff

Thoth The pit bull of tarot!

Padma

Every time I have tried to read with the Thoth-based Cosmic, I get the most negative, abysmal results. That deck seems to hate my guts. It's like an old man, yelling "get off my property!"

Painful to even try. I recently bought Babalon's noir et lux deck, also Thoth, and have not even attempted to try to read with it...I should get it out and see if it will speak to me :)

It seems Thoth has a really particular opinion about who is allowed to read with it!

Barleywine

My situation has kind of gone the other way. The Thoth is so deeply ingrained in my consciousness that it permeates almost everything I do with tarot, regardless of the deck. That would be primarily the system of correspondences for the court cards and minor arcana, not in all cases Crowley's unique observations on the major arcana (although many of those are unforgettable). So Thoth hasn't ever cut me off; instead, it's invaded me :)

Thoughtful

MissChiff and Padma, these are the last things l want to hear :joke::joke: l now wait with trepidation and trembling. l just hope l can conquer it rather than it conquering me.
If all hope fades and it turns nasty l shall run back to the safety of my usual decks :joke:
But wait l am a fighter l am strong l am the Emperor (my birth card), let battle commence.

FLizarraga

This has become more interesting a thread than I ever thought possible.... :)

I came to "Thothy" decks only after the original Thoth, and have never felt that sort of haughtiness or hatefulness. In fact, I only used the word "hate" in the sense that the Thoth has seemed to close off to my attempts to muddle through it, but not necessarily in an unfriendly way. On the contrary, I'd say that I get a very friendly, inviting vibe from the deck.

I wasn't very familiar with Crowley the first time I picked it up, so I didn't even know about that creepy crawly factor some people tend to attach to Crowley. Those colorful swirls drew me in, and before I knew I was doing my first reading with it. Even the pips didn't give me any trouble --I just worked with the images and the titles.

Perhaps it hasn't really closed off; perhaps I'm just intimidated by the realization of the vastness of my ignorance. There's so much to learn in every card...

Thoughtful

Well there you go Fliz maybe it was testing out your resilience and is now patiently waiting for you to also let battle commence :)