The Threes -

tarotbear

Since Lee's concept is to tie the Minors back to the Major that they connect with - in this case the Empress (Protector) - I will discuss them in that connection. The 'Protector' was helping a small child down from a tree.

Cups - The Protector and Protected rest by a fountain upon which three dancing maidens - borrowed from the RWS - appear. they are enjoying a cool ice cream cone and the little girl has a balloon. They seek the shady side of the fountain for it's coolness. One of the aspects of this card is 'celebration' and the two of them are enjoying each other. Perhaps it is a special day for one of them; perhaps they need no reason at all to celebrate - which is the best reason to celebrate!

Coins - The Protector is atop a stepladder, painting the walls of the little girl's bedrooma sky blue. On the finished wall to his left clouds appear - did he paint them in, too, or it it merely a projection of blue walls indoors looks like blue skies outdoors? Instead of the two figures normally in this card, the little girl reaches up in glee that her protector is making her boring white walls into something pretty. {O.K. - if he's the masterbuilder - why isn't there a dropcloth on the floor to catch the drips? LOL!} Reminds me in a way of the movie 'Mermaids' where Bob Hoskins paints Christina Ricci's room to look like she is underwater.

Wands - Wow! Massive departure! As the Protector waves the little girl off to her possible first day of school, he imagines that this will become a familiar scene through the years and sees her as child, grade-school age, and high-school age. In this card of waiting to see what the usual three ships bring you, he is thinking about the possibilities of her growing up, wondering what kind of beauty she will grow up into - and what kind of headaches he's going to have! {Does this guy ever work? LOL!}

Swords - the only card that does not reflect back to the Protector image. Instead of three swords piercing a heart, three discarded umbrellas lie in the same configuration in a puddle. Entitled 'the Wreckage' - LWB:"Feeling heavy-hearted after an emotional storm. Feeling hurt or betrayed." Hate to say it, but on the pavement are two objects that look suspiciously like packs of condoms - next to some cigarette butts! Oversight? Once you get past the 'emotional storm' aspect - how would you read this as a reversed card?

Lee

tarotbear said:
Swords - the only card that does not reflect back to the Protector image.
On this card I had in mind the following quote from King Lear: "How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is to have a thankless child." :)

-- Lee

Shade

I love the 3 of cups - very much a "day out with the girls" feeling above and below.

Lee did you make suggestions about the artwork taht adorns people's homes in thsi deck? The Bunny painting here, the two vases on the two of cups, the tower painting on the 6 of cups... is that Antonella?

Lee

Yup, all Antonella. In general, for each card I wrote a paragraph which described the characters and their basic action in the scene, plus the setting (a bedroom, a city street, a park, etc.), including any details which figure prominently in the scene (the statue of three women in the 3 of Cups, the waving flags in the Hanged Man, the lightning in the Tower). Little details like you mention, Shade, were usually decided on by Antonella.

-- Lee

Shade

A new review up for the gay tarot

http://www.tarotpassages.com/Pages2/gay-lb.htm

I find it interesting that so many reviewers think the other figures on the three of wands in some way represent a missing family. To me it would appear that he is imagining the little girl grow up which would be inkeeping with the traditional interpretationof the three of wands.

tarotbear

review

Boy? What boy? There are three girls in the Three of Wands card ... ?????

Shade

Yeah I thought that was odd but other reviewers have said that. Odd. I agreed with some of his other sentiments about the deck but I disagreed about the cards having overall gray tones.

Fulgour

Diane Wilkes announced tarotpassages was going on hiatus,
but lately we find the plausibly adroit Mr. K. Frank Jensen
doing reviews of decks that one wouldn't associate with him.

What is his motive in cranking out his off the wall comments,
and why are they appearing in this particular venue just now?
Sure his views are personal and all that but what's he up to...

Shade

Can I get some background on this K. Frank Jensen, I have never heard of him before.