"Vegan" deck?

Onaorkal

To some it might look like a weird question, but I'm curious to know if you aware of some tarot decks that would fit the following characteristics :

-Depicting animals and/or humans on at least some cards

-Humans not using animals in any way (no horseback riding, no clothes clearly animal-derived, etc)

-Animals not shown as having suffered because of humans (for example, caged or pierced by a sword)

-No animal-derived food pictured

Animals and humans can be shown together on cards, if it's clear they are companions and not in a dominant-submissive relationship or hunter-prey situation.

For now I don't think I own a deck that fits, even the animism tarot had me deceived on this!
The 9 of wands show a circus elephant breaking free and destroying everything. Good for him but when seeing this card I'm automatically reminded of similar real-life situations and it causes me to lose my focus.

Same with the Wild Unknown. Many people are triggered by the very violent 10 of swords, with reason! It shows a dead bull pierced by 10 swords, including one going through his eye sockets.

And then most decks including humans, especially the ones nature-oriented, will show people riding horses or other animals.

I am able to read with these decks, but I would be really happy if I could find a deck being 100% 'vegan friendly'.

I ordered the Mystical Cats Tarot and I have some hopes that it will fit. I also plan on eventually buying some decks that only show concepts or objects, like that Tarot of the Trees or the Physics Tarot.

If anybody thinks of some deck that could fit let me know! :)

Thanks!

Achlys

The only deck I know that may fit is the black cats tarot, and that's mostly because it just depicts cats and no humans.
Interesting question, though. I'm curious to see the results.

Aeric

You've put up some pretty restrictive guidelines. The biggest one is Swords, since the vast majority of animal decks use literal swords, and being the most negative suit some animals are injured by them.

Even anthropomorphized decks, like Marseille Cats, have a Chariot being pulled by animals. And mice are running on the Wheel of Fortune with a cat below. Most animal-human decks have a rider in the Chariot or the Court cards.

I suggest the Animal Divine Tarot. There are a couple of riders, but the Swords cards have swords embedded in the surrounding plant life and are causing problems for the animals rather than injuring them.

Dee Ell

I know where you are coming from Onaorkal - Animism is on my wishlist bc it's one of the only naturalistic decks without that kind of human violence (I didn't know about the elephant card but I still want the deck).

I have the Baroque Bohemian Cats deck and while it technicality fits the bill, it's because it anthropomorphizes the cats into human roles (though charmingly but not cloyingly so). But none of the cats are being harmed in the deck I believe - even 10 of swords has the swords hovering over the cat with his eyes covered (and again, any implied violence would be by other cats, not humans). So I don't know if that fits the bill but I'm very interested to hear other input in this thread! Mahalo for such a great question...

ETA: I just saw Aeric's post above (posted while I was writing mine) and want to mention that the BBCats deck Chariot has golden statues of humans pulling the cat 😂 (I've always found that card particularly amusing)

AJ

Druidcraft Animal Oracle? Pretty respectful to the creatures shown.
Druidcraft Tarot, might fall within your guidelines.

Laura Borealis

Tarat might suit your needs. Though the Chariot is pulled by birds, and the Knights ride birds, the riders in all cases are white rats. The swords aren't violent either. There are no humans. Also no cheese.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/bluedogrose

I was going to suggest the Rabbit Tarot by the same artist. The Rabbit Tarot has the same thing with rabbits Knights riding goats and goats pulling the Chariot. But then I saw that the Hanged Rabbit has its foot caught in a snare, so that's out.

Badger's Forest, again by the same artist, might work but I haven't seen all the cards.

Aeric

Cephalopod Tarot might fit, but I can't find all the cards to see if it works. The swords appear to be swordfish or narwhals piercing other animals. The riders appear to be animals riding seahorses <_<

But Hanged One is a netted octopus.

This is tough...

Dee Ell

Cephalopod Tarot might fit, but I can't find all the cards to see if it works. The swords appear to be swordfish or narwhals piercing other animals. The riders appear to be animals riding seahorses <_<

But Hanged One is a netted octopus.

This is tough...

Yeuch - the 10 of Swords is a plate of calamari!!

But I admire your perseverance and willingness to help with this challenge Aeric :)