Legacy of the Divine Study Group - Strength

NatKat

In the classical RWS symbolism we see a woman with an infinity sign above her head subduing a lion. This classical interpretation is of the divine subduing, through love, the bestial nature. Hinduism gives us the symbolism of a woman riding a lion (or tiger) as the goddess Durga who has the power to defeat demons. Thoth deck touches upon this symbolism in the Lust card.

In Legacy of the Divine, a woman appears with three big cats, a lion, a leopard, and a tiger. She neither rides them nor subdues them. Rather she appears to be bestowing consciousness upon them.

The imagery in Legacy of the Divine adds an interesting twist to the classical interpretations. In this case, the animal passions are not subdued or ridden ... rather they are brought to consciousness.

Why 3 cats?

I have no idea. Anyone?

Practicing Human

I'm not sure why there are three cats...

I didn't interpret her as bestowing consciousness on the cats. When I first saw this card it appeared to me as if she was entrancing the cats, like putting an hypnotic spell on them or something. They seem checked out and mesmerized to me.

I do love this deck but I wouldn't say this is one of my favorite portrayals of the Strength card. I don't hate it, but I like seeing the lion submissive through its own will rather than some hypnotic force being at play.

ana luisa

I see this card as meaning: you may remain the same (lady) but the way you show your strength can/should/will take on different shapes. Like being strong while helping a sick son X being strong at defending your points during a heated debate. You may change your skin and shape but NEVER the essence.

NatKat

I see this card as meaning: you may remain the same (lady) but the way you show your strength can/should/will take on different shapes. Like being strong while helping a sick son X being strong at defending your points during a heated debate. You may change your skin and shape but NEVER the essence.

Interesting. So the 3 cats are different types of strength ... if I understand your meaning?

ana luisa

Interesting. So the 3 cats are different types of strength ... if I understand your meaning?

Yes. three different types of strength, approaches AND sometimes, "skin" as in the way you show yourself to others.