Tarot de Paris (17th Century)

firemaiden

Thank you for the interesting links, Huck and Cerulean. I was amazed to see the winged Venus Huck linked to that seems to be what my Venus was copied from. Quite something to see the triumph of Venus, pulled by swans, that is just beautiful! Still now what would these geese/swans be doing on the Chariot of the Tarot de Paris? I guess Geese could pull the chariot of Mars just as well...

Cerulean

The birds, child and the charioteer...

http://l-pollett.tripod.com/cards59.htm

In the Chariot we see a curious detail: the vehicle is not drawn by horses but by geese; one of them is ridden by a child, despite the seated figure bears the typical attributes of the triumphant roman general, i.e. a laurel crown and a sceptre. (This is Andy Pollett's commentary of the Chariot in the Tarot De Paris)

Lots of humorous thoughts occur to me, only my own opinion. If I am looking backward, me making mental leaps and bounds from 1650 Tarot de Paris' male charioteer and child and geese...and looking at circa 1470's Borso D'Este's mural where you will notice that Mars is kneeling before Venus as she is drawn by Swans...captive of her triumph of love...I'm grinning. Venus has vanished over time and now serious Roman Charioteer (Daddy Mars) and Bouncing Boy (Baby Amor?) are trying to control this Chariot of Bird-lam in the streets!

I see lots of humor in this deck, sorry for the oddity.

Cerulean

Fulgour

coredil said:
As soon as I receive the Tarot de Paris,
I will try to carefully compare the pictures.
Hi :) coredil ~ Any new developments?
I'd love to find a copy of this deck too!

UPDATE: Mission Accomplished! Hurrah!

Strange2

Fulgour said:
I'd love to find a copy of this deck too!

UPDATE: Mission Accomplished! Hurrah!

Congrats on getting the Tarot de Paris deck! Care to share the source of your acquisition?

Fulgour

Bienvenue Strange2

Strange2 said:
Congrats on getting the Tarot de Paris deck!
With help from friends right here at AT and the
info on a thread that's around here somewhere.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=52093

Downer :( Update:

My copy arrived Saturday (May 20th) in perfect condition...
and only 3 days after I placed my order. Very good service!

But I'm afraid anyone visiting the site now will discover that
Tarot de Paris by Grimaud in SOLD OUT~at least at present.

Bernice

The cards in the Tarot de Paris

BUMP!

After seeing a card from this deck ('Lightening'/The Tower) spoken of in a thread more recently begun by Huck. Here. I wanted to find out about the rest of the cards.

And so I searched for more information. However I could only find this thread that discusses this most intriguing deck.

See the Pope card, there is what looks like a cat at his left foot! On closer inspection it is more like a sphinx. But the head/face is not clear to me.

I know that some people have the 1984 reproduction of this deck and I'm wondering if they have reached any conclusions about this creature and what it might represent/convey?

I'm amazed that it has recieved so little attention.

See links to card scans in firemaidens' first post in this thread:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=681540&postcount=1

Bee :)

gregory

I think it's a dog, myself - maybe the fool's ? he seems to have lost his :D

Bernice

It has a boob!

gregory

Well - so do most dogs, as long as they are bitches.... :D