The Paths of the Tree of Life

Lucas Prince of Cats

So, I want to be able to esplain why there are 22 major arcana and I want to do it using the tree of life. I fyou believe in this, could you simply give me the meaning of each path and each herbrew letter, so I can figure out my own way, since I see many diagrams disagreeable, but if I see the reasoning as to why, perhaps I'll get it or mak emy own. You could maby suggest your own placement of major arcana on the paths if you want.

Zephyros

The great Talmudic sage Hillel was born in Babylonia in the first century BCE. As young man he came to the Holy Land to study Torah at the feet of the sages of Jerusalem. He was initially a very poor, but brilliant student, and became a famous Torah scholar and eventually the Nasi (president) of the Sanhedrin. He is often mentioned together with his colleague, Shammai, with who he often disagreed on the interpretations of Torah law: Shammai often follows the stricter interpretation, whereas Hillel tended toward a more lenient understanding of the law. In the great majority of cases, his opinion prevailed. Hillel encouraged his disciple follow the example of Aaron the High Priest to "love peace and pursue peace, love all G‑d's creations and bring them close to the Torah." Hillel was a very humble and patient man, and there are many stories that illustrate this.

One of famous account in the Talmud (Shabbat 31a) tells about a gentile who wanted to convert to Judaism. This happened not infrequently, and this individual stated that he would accept Judaism only if a rabbi would teach him the entire Torah while he, the prospective convert, stood on one foot. First he went to Shammai, who, insulted by this ridiculous request, threw him out of the house. The man did not give up and went to Hillel. This gentle sage accepted the challenge, and said:

"What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor. That is the whole Torah; the rest is the explanation of this--go and study it!"

What you ask is impossible... there are a great many sources from which you can learn the paths, but it really isn't as simple as a "this means that" kind of list.

HOLMES

hnm

I think for this particular thing,, it is best to pick a diagram that makes sense to you,, and long ago , I even picked one that was different.. but I didnt' explore it further for I moved on other things.

what I would do is pick the golden dawn path,, study why it went like this,, and then look at the thoth,, and waite version to see how they moved from there.

one book I would look at is the qabalistic tarot by Robert wang, for it compares the golden dawn, to the waite and thoth tarot.

but as the moderator Zephyros says, it is more then that,, to truly understand is to study it very much in depth. and ask yourself why are you studying it. .

what I mean is,, how do you think it will work for you in a tarot reading. are you just interested in self study and using this for self growth ? .
and one thing you will realize as you study this should you decide so is astrology and other things also figure into it.

oh another book that is very good is the chicken qabalah written by lon milo who also wrote a very good book on trying to understand the thoth system as well.

Lucas Prince of Cats

Thanks

Well, thanks guys! I'm trying to study the hebrew letters now, and its complicated for sure, and my reason for studying the tree of life is simply to understand the reasoning between the major arcana, and its's mainly out of curiousity.

HOLMES

well you see

there are more to the tarot associations then just the paths,, there is the ten spheres which they connect to,, that some tarotists connect to the 1 to 10 minor arcana..
and then there is the four elemets which tarotists have started to change their assocations , well one in particular . the one who wrote "Tarot and the Tree of Life: Finding Everyday Wisdom in the Minor Arcana, " didn't agree with the knights and queen placement in the worlds and reversed it.

you could even look at the witches qabalah as well that is a good book.

so at this point the only real advice I can give you is,, to pick one style or way of looking at the tarot, then after you can constrast and compare..
one book I have does the major arcana one card a week for 22 weeks living the qabalistic tarot.

hmm but a thought just occurred to me, perhaps you may even want to move away from the tarot and just study the qabalah/kabbalah for now ?

Zephyros

Holmes has given some good advice, especially Chicken Qabalah is a great book. Sorry if it sounded as if I was mocking, but I really don't know how to explain it simply. It is based on a learning curve, each definition based on the last.

This gives a bare-bones outline of the thing, and may help you get started.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=201798

Lucas Prince of Cats

there are more to the tarot associations then just the paths,, there is the ten spheres which they connect to,, that some tarotists connect to the 1 to 10 minor arcana..
and then there is the four elemets which tarotists have started to change their assocations , well one in particular . the one who wrote "Tarot and the Tree of Life: Finding Everyday Wisdom in the Minor Arcana, " didn't agree with the knights and queen placement in the worlds and reversed it.

you could even look at the witches qabalah as well that is a good book.

so at this point the only real advice I can give you is,, to pick one style or way of looking at the tarot, then after you can constrast and compare..
one book I have does the major arcana one card a week for 22 weeks living the qabalistic tarot.

hmm but a thought just occurred to me, perhaps you may even want to move away from the tarot and just study the qabalah/kabbalah for now ?

Thanks! And tarot is important to me! I think it would probably help best for me to study the hebrew letters first, but I don't have the time, and I 'll fdo it when I do. Thanks, again!

Snaut

+1 for the Chicken Qabalah

JackofWands

Robert Wang is another good author to start cutting your teeth on Tarot and Qabalah. I would also recommend reading some primary (or closer to it) sources. I would recommend the Sepher Yetzirah (my go-to source), the Zohar (if you can stomach the atrocious writing), and various Libri by Aleister Crowley. All of these are available for free online.

http://hermetic.com/crowley/libers/#number

(The Internet Sacred Text Archive has copies of the Sepher Yetzirah and the Zohar.)

Zephyros

Plus it really isn't that hard, especially since you're using the same tools over and over. In about a month I learned all the basics, but that wasn't the end of my education, of course. The real understanding came when I actually started to go card by card and look at its Kabbalistic attributes.

My advice is to breeze through the basics in order to go beyond them, since you will be constantly referring to the same material anyway.