Reading for Other Readers

Barleywine

I recently came across the observation that reading face-to-face for another tarot reader can be one of the most demoralizing experiences because they can be contrary and argumentative about the interpretations. (Not here, obviously, because we have ground-rules for behavior).

Since I returned to professional reading last summer I haven't crossed paths with another reader-as-client "in the wild." The very first question I ask a new sitter is "Have you had readings before?" which tells me how much of the time-consuming process minutiae I can dispense with. My reaction on confronting another reader across the table would probably be favorable; I would say "Great, we're going to have a professional conversation here. I'm looking forward to it!" (Think of it as a form of "bilateral nuclear disarmament" :))

I'm curious what your experience has been (I have noticed occasional posts here about it but not lately), and how you handle informed (or even semi-informed) push-back. Personally, I love a challenge, but a lot of time could be wasted while we circle each other like wrestlers looking for an advantage.

delinfrey

I like to establish ground rules before all readings I do.
I actually find that the more professional the reader, the better my own reading goes. I would argue that the worst sitters are people who have memorised some catalogue-style meanings for RWS and shout them out as you try to explain patterns.

I have honestly had a reading where a woman later googled a card, copied the meaning and asked why I had used the wrong meaning?? That gets frustrating sometimes.

However, I've been a Dungeon Master since 2002 or so, so I know how to handle people like that :)

Barleywine

My last sitter was an amateur self-reader who had been getting the Death card repeatedly; she was "deathly" afraid I was going to confirm her results. I didn't, but we did have some fun discussing what Judgement with Gabriel blowing his trumpet could possibly mean as the outcome card.

Astraea

My last sitter was an amateur self-reader who had been getting the Death card repeatedly; she was "deathly" afraid I was going to confirm her results. I didn't, but we did have some fun discussing what Judgement with Gabriel blowing his trumpet could possibly mean as the outcome card.
LOL! I don't read professionally, but I have friends who are tarot readers and I enjoy reading for them because we're pretty much on the same page when it comes to theory and interpretation. I've read for family and friends who are not readers, and no matter what one says to reassure them, they're often shaking in their boots for fear that the Tower, Devil or (gulp) Death will turn up. My friends who are professional readers usually just want to compare notes and get second opinions, and I find that exchange very rewarding.

Tanga

Hmm.

Reading for another reader - I've never had them be anything but pristine in their behaviour.
And when I go and see another reader I don't read for myself at-the-same-time, and then make commentary. I just let them get on with it and enjoy the explorative conversation.

Never had any amateurs or other, bump in with their own interpretations as described either.

Now that you've all mentioned it - I'm sure I will.
Lol.

MadeiraDarling

I tend to view my readings as a collaboration between myself and the person I'm reading for so like, provided they weren't doing it in the spirit of one-upmanship I'd happily discuss interpretations

headincloud

I can understand people challenging you personally because you go around the mulberry bush and back without saying anything to my understanding, perhaps we're just on a completely different page and that's where others may be coming from and are confused about too.

velvetina

In my experience, it really does depend upon the individual. I've had some wonderful exchanges with other tarot readers, and some absolute nightmares!

I've a theory that sometimes it's similar to the old adage 'too many cooks spoil the broth' and remember how my grandmother used to feel when someone else was trying to cook in her kitchen!

Maybe that analogy doesn't work, but I've had some fantastic, interesting and informative conversations with other readers, but when it comes to doing actual readings for one another...zip, nothing, flat as a pancake. I've found that, given the opportunity, this improves dramatically over time however. Maybe it's a question of getting to know each other's rhythm, you know, like dancing partners!

Another difficulty (which has already been referred to) is the 'amateur', or the professional with Definite Opinions. I've been reading tarot in the same esoteric bookshop for a quarter of a century, but rarely a month will pass without someone 'in the business' (!!) will tell me that I'm wrong about something! Usually I laugh it off, sometimes I quote a bit of Crowley at them! ;) Tarot readers, mediums, clairvoyants etc can be an idiosyncratic bunch and tend not to be in agreement very often really (or maybe that's just here, in the North!)

Marcus R

I haven't read for many readers in my time so far. The Sydney Members group has done it seldom. We did give eachother readings at the last meeting (see Sydney members thread).
I find we don't interfere with the reading, though I'm sure we all look ahead at the cards and make our own quick judgements and although everyone can't help but make comments, (good natured asides) during the reading, we allow the reader to read and accept their proclamations.

Reading for a reader is probably the hardest, most embarrassing trial we could undertake. I do not personally judge the readers ability compared to my understanding of the cards, a reading is a reading and I accept their interpretation readily.
I do feel very self conscious when I read for other readers, I find it hard to relax at all, not that I'm being judged at every word but I feel that somewhere in the spread I need to pull a rabbit out of my hat.
I suppose that's what we are all feeling as we deal the cards.

Alta

I belonged to a Tarot Club in Ottawa for some years and so have read for other readers many times. I always found it enjoyable and lead to good discussions. Of course this was not a client setting.