Hematite?

OrbWeaver

I'm also a big fan of hematite. I'm glad you made a post about it. I'm reminded I should start carrying it around again.

I have a small shark carved out of hematite. It's one of my favorite stones carved into one of my favorite animals. :)

Danica_Nyx

my mother has a necklace and the pendant is made out of hematite stones. it is so pretty.
She rarely wears it but keeps it on her bedside table.

I wore it once, because I was having an off day and by the time I took it off I was in a better mood, for no reason at all.

The necklace just sends possative vibes that clears negative energy all around.
treasure your stone, it really is a piece of art.

-Danica

HearthCricket

Hematite is very much a grounding and protecting stone, but it is also wonderfully used for scrying as it is so smooth and black, like an odd black liquid that has been solidified.

Hematite is much heavier than obsidian and has a metallic look to it, giving it a slight silver shine. Obsidian is lighter in weight and more of a pure black glossy stone.

OrbWeaver

Last night I decided to sleep with Hematite under my pillow (reasoning is private for now, sorry) and it somehow went from under my pillow, to bound up in my nightshirt near my abdomenal area.

I did have a very good sleep, though. :)

HearthCricket

OrbWeaver said:
Last night I decided to sleep with Hematite under my pillow (reasoning is private for now, sorry) and it somehow went from under my pillow, to bound up in my nightshirt near my abdomenal area.

I did have a very good sleep, though. :)

It is rather slippery! You can always try putting it or a few stones in a little pouch and either put it under your pillow or hang it on the bedpost. I have done that, along with my 5 mala beads!

OrbWeaver

I noticed! :) I have a good pouch I can put it in, next time I want to sleep with it. That goes for any moonstone, too.

When I get a chance I'll take a picture of my Hematite shark.

Furnacechant

Silverlyn said:
Hey there: I have a few of these beautiful stones: deep black (yet with like a silver shine/sheen to them)...I'd always thought they were Hematites, but I think now they might be Black Obsidian instead?

How can I know the difference?

Silverlyn

Hematite looks definitely metallic---it actually is iron, at least mostly. Obsidian is a black volcanic glass, sometimes clear-ish like smoky quartz, sometimes opaque shiny-black. If you have the two together they definitely don't look like the same stone. There IS a form of obsidian that has a silvery sheen sometimes, but it's not like hematite---the silvery-ness seems more like it's underneath the surface and more iridescent, like butterfly wings, rather than metallic.

skat510

A question regarding wearing hematite rings...I recently bought a hematite ring for protection and to help repel negativity and I was wondering if it needed to be worn on a particular hand for those purposes? I wore it on my left ring finger (my right hand is my dominant/projective) and in the day that I had it on I felt plagued by a lot of negative thoughts (enough to make me feel like something was waaay off and unbalanced...I'm a libra y'know! :) ), and I noticed that even the tarot readings I did today were unusually negative. Is it possible that I had it on the wrong hand? I was also thinking I could just put the ring on a silver chain so that this wouldn't be an issue. ;) Could be that the ring just isn't well-cleansed, or I was having a bad day, I'm just not sure what's up! But I will say that when I took the ring off I did feel better...

Sorry for all of these probably simple questions (I haven't really done much crystal work) but any thoughts would be appreciated!

crystalflame

Regarding the comparison of hematite with other stones, has anybody noticed how similar HEMATITE can be with some tumbled SILICON stones, at least at first glance. But of course, silicon is much lighter than hematite, and their weight can be used to distinguish them.

balenciaga

Hematite looks like solidified mercury.