Stuart Kaplan's Encyclopedia of Tarot in three volumes (soon to be four)

Jewel

I have all 3 and they are great reference books. I am really glad I have them, and I think JMD has a great idea there about you asking for them for Yule :). I have not read through them, just look things up on an as needed basis ... but it is so nice to be able to do so.

openscrt

Hello,
I found Volume 2 at Alldirect.com for $21.00. They are always at least a few dollars cheaper that Amazon.

SherryZoned

You can find these at buy.com

Volume 1 $18.90

Volume 2 $22.05

Volume 3 $28.35

Marie

Though I don't have all the details there is supposed to be a new volume, IV realeased soon. Should be worth keeping an eye out for.

Marie

darwinia

Volume 4

The deadline for submitting artwork for the upcoming Volume 4 of the Encyclopedia was in December 2002.

I imagine quite a bit of work in layout and proofing would come next, but maybe in the fall of 2003 this will be out? Who knows.

I have the three volumes and find them fascinating. I browse them and enjoy the history as well. Well worth the money for art and history buffs.

Judy

Summerdream

I ordered the 3 volumes of encyclopedias from buy.com as Redwood stated they have the best prices for the set! I think they will be a good reference tool and I am anxious to look thru them and see all those other decks. Now I'm hoping the 4th book gets released soon as it should have alot of the newer classics in it.
Blessings,
Momof3girls

Aerin

What is in each of the books? I looked on amazon.uk and could only find vol. 1 and vol 3.

Aerin

jmd

How can one succinctly reply to this question?

Volume 1, which came out in 1978, encompasses a little of everything. As with the other two volumes (which increase in size), numerous decks are illustrated (mostly in black & white); pp387.

Volume 2 is quite an important resource in terms of Tarot's early history - and it also, of course, continues its vast coverage of Tarot decks; pp552.

Volume 3, whilst again covering a wide area, has a wonderful largish essay on Pamela Colman-Smith (the illustrator of the Waite deck); pp694.

Personally, and though both their indices and their bibliography are extremely useful, I find the way they are organised somewhat baffling, and lacking a structure which makes for easy cross-reference - though wonderful for perusal. This criticism is made, however, without being able to suggest how they could have been better organised!

Each volume is well worth getting.

Aerin

Thanks jmd, that really does help. Although it does mean that I can't say 'oh, won't bother with volume X then'...

Maybe the library will order them for me so I can take a proper look and Prioritise my Purchases.

Aerin

wavebreaker

I received a gift certificate from Amazon today, and I used it to order the three volumes of the Encyclopedia.
Can't wait for them to arrive (takes about three weeks)! ;)