Stuart Kaplan's Encyclopedia of Tarot in three volumes (soon to be four)

wavebreaker

I received the first volume today!
I hadn't expected it yet, because it usually takes about three weeks for an order from Amazon US to arrive, but they've sent it from Germany, so it arrived within a week. Apart from that, they sent me the hardback edition instead of the paperback, without charging extra! :D

Edited to add: I now have all three volumes, all of them in hardback... :D

Kiama

Hmmm.... Second anniversary wiht boyfriend coming up soon... An opportunity!

Oh,and birthdays... And un-birthdays... Hmmmm

Well, I suppose I can ask my parents for one of the volumes for my birthday.

And there's another volume soon coming out?!! Any ideas when?

Kiama

baba-prague

Hi,
I'd just echo what JMD said:

"Personally, and though both their indices and their bibliography are extremely useful, I find the way they are organised somewhat baffling, and lacking a structure which makes for easy cross-reference - though wonderful for perusal. This criticism is made, however, without being able to suggest how they could have been better organised!"

I think that they really could have done with a good editor, just to organise things a bit more clearly. However, having said that, there is so much material in there that I don't too much mind the odd frustration in trying to find what I'm looking for. The sheer amount of work and knowledge that must have gone into putting it all together is very impressive.
In answer to the other question about availability, I recently got Volumes 1 and 3 (already had 2) through amazon.co.uk. They suddenly became available again before last Christmas.

Karen

felicityk

I have treasured my copy of Vol. 3 for many years. Up until recently I was only interested in modern (20th century) decks, so that was the only one I bothered to obtain. Now that I am becoming more interested in Tarot history, I decided to buy Vol. 1, which arrived today from buy.com (thanks, Redwood!) I am enjoying looking through it and am already thinking about Vol. 2 (and Vol. 4, of course, when it is eventually released).

Felicity
--
My collection: http://home.attbi.com/~felicityk/tarot/

lupo138

3 volumes of kaplan´s encyclopedia

hi all !
please help me on the following: I would like to purchase the encyclopedia of Kaplan. As I looked for it in the web, I learned that there are three volumes. My questions now are: Is it really three volumes or are the seciond and the third just new editions of the first ? If not like the latter: Would you recommend buying all three or is it just really small details that were added in the 2nd and 3rd volume ?
Thank you very much in advance for your friendly advice :)

bright blessings

L.

jmd

Each volume is clearly different... I'll look for earlier comments and link them or merge the threads.

edited to add:

well, I've decided to merge the threads. In terms of your question, I suggest especially going through page two.

Others may want to also add comments on the three volumes.

lupo138

@jmd

thank you ! I went through the postings and your most friendly and helpful reply - so I am assured I will buy all 3 of them ! As I am nearly finished with Kaplan/Dummett´s History of the Occult Tarot I am really in need of a big big compendium to read ;)
Btw: All recommendations from this forum were wonderful. I am really grateful and am posting only on rare occasions right now because I want to deepen my knowledge until I go ahead - even after almost 14 years of practical experieence. Thanks again !

bright blessings

L.

HudsonGray

I emailed US Games about the release date since it was supposed to be Spring 2003, then Fall of 2003. Here's what I got--

Thank you for your note. Yes, the Encyclopedia of Tarot, 4 is due for publication. The Encyclopedia is so voluminous that it is taking the editor longer than expected to get it ready for the printer.

Unfortunately, things happen such as corrections to errors, a backup in the Art Dept plus a myriad of other problems that projects don't always run according to our original schedules. We are trying to think of a better way of projecting, but we're always optimistic.

Thanks again for contacting us.
Bobbie Bensaid
Administrative Manager
U.S. Games Systems, Inc.
179 Ludlow Street
Stamford, CT 06902
203-353-8400 tel