the chariot in love and relationships

Luna_Star

Maybe this is a guy that feels torn... his head is telling him one thing while his heart says another. He feels like he needs to take control and tame both aspects of himself by holding on to the reins, like in the chariot card.

Luna. :)

Ana's Song

Could mean feeling very certain, almost unshakeably confident that the relationship/the love is 'right'? The card is all about willpower after all. Though if ill-dignified/rx then it could mean trying to assert one's will over the other person and not knowing when to give up the battle for the other's heart and feelings?

DrDave

The Chariot by definition as penned before is made of Wheels,Axle Bucket Charioteer yoke horses and reins
A lot of parts all needing to work together otherwhise NO Chariot.

Fascinating but true and often the great loves of the world are lots of intricate components which when added together add up to more than the sum of the parts.

I hope this will be a great love affair as Majors don't mess around
Regards
DRD

SunChariot

patienceislove said:
how do u interpert this one in love and relationships?

i just cant picture the chariot as a lover or one with feelings that are compassionate, etc.

anyone wanna enlighten my pea brain? lol

Interesting question as I have been getting this card too alot about a relatiionship. :grin:

First I have to say it depends greatly on the question. We can ask all kinds of questions about a relationship and the question itself affects what the card will mean in the answer. Generally, and again it depends on the question, I see The Chariot more as describing the relationship itself rather than either of the partners in it.

But if you (like me) just asked something simple like "What will happen in the future between X and I?" then to me it means that you will face some difficult times, BUT that if you don't give up and continue to work on them you can and will work through them and come out the other side and achieve a real victory between you. It says a really good relationship is possible but it won't be automatic. A lot of work will be required to achieve it. Now you have the decision to make of if this person is worth that much work to you. Or if it would be easier to just find someone new where things might work more easily from the start. If you just met the person they might not be worth the work, if you love them they most likely are.

Babs

Peachesncreamme

Maybe this is a guy that feels torn... his head is telling him one thing while his heart says another. He feels like he needs to take control and tame both aspects of himself by holding on to the reins, like in the chariot card.

Luna. :)

This is how I feel about the Chariot in the romantic feelings position. What I've got for this card I feel like the person is pushing to get into some type of relationship or pulling to get out of a relationship...I just did a reading in regards to the Chariot card in the feelings position (RWS) for a male friend of mine I asked what was his romantic feelings towards her and I got The Chariot along with Death...And from what I gathered is that he wants out of the relationship with her because his feelings are dying for her (Or, it can be the other way around)...either he wants to be left alone by her or she wants to be left alone by him...

nisaba

Full steam ahead! But you have conflicting urges, feelings that you need to head in mutually incompatible directions, and you need to discipline yourself to make up your mind what you do or don't want, and once that decision is made, quash any urges to the contrary.

caridwen

The Chariot can sometimes be a vehicle in both its literal sense and its physical sense. In some decks the Charioteer is wearing armour in order to protect himself. I sometimes see the armour as a shell in a similar way to Cancer the Crab. Crabs have very soft flesh protected by a hard outer exterior. Once the crab outgrows its shell it discards it. Once someone has finished their fight or won their race they no longer need that particular vehicle.

In other images the Chariot has two horses or sphinxes which are viewed as opposing either in the black/white dichotomy kind of way, or as two horses veering off in two different directions. The Charioteer has to use the force of their will in order to keep the two opposing forces together.

If you imagine a charioteer in an actual race with other charioteers trying to force them off the track in a similar way to Le Mans for example you can see how much power is needed to keep this chariot not only on the road but together for long enough to beat all the other charioteers and to come out victorious. It would take brute strength and guts and skill. The charioteer would not be able to take their eye of the winning posts for a second because as soon as their concentration started to falter, they could lose control of the horses or their vehicle or someone else could take advantage of their momentary lapse of concentration.

There was an awful lot riding on these races. Firstly, the charioteer would start off as a slave. If they won enough money they could buy their freedom so imagine how much each one wanted to win. (And what great sport for the barbaric Romans! who laid huge bets.) Secondly, in ancient Rome there were four main factions each with their own colour and the stables went to great lengths to obtain the best charioteers who became incredibly famous and statues were commissioned of them. They all died young in their early twenties because they wrapped the reins around their waists in order to guide the horses with as much force as possible. This was dangerous in that it allowed them to be dragged out of their chariots and under the horses. They didn't wear armour (unlike some deck depictions) and only had small helmets.

Here is an epitaph by a charioteer called Scorpus:

I am Scorpus, the glory of the noisy Circus,
the much-applauded and short-lived darling of Rome.
Envious Fate, counting my victories instead of my years,
and so believing me old,
carried me off in my twenty-sixth year.
Martial, Epigrams 10.53

The Circus was the race track and as you can see he died at 26 which was not a bad age for a charioteer. Unlike most decks however the usual amount of horses in a race was four and the driver rode behind on the axle as they kept the chariot as small and as lightweight as possible.

So in a love question we have the ideas of victory, stakes, control, bravery, single mindedness, glory, danger, risks, vulnerabilities, skill, strength and all these used at the same time in order to keep something on track for a short period of time or for as long as it took in order to claim victory.

The Chariot is also the number seven which has meaning both in the Bible and the Tree of Life.

kwaw

He journeys not, except for love, and that perfect love, where he finds it, he returns in kind... his is that perfect love from which perfect virtue blooms and is coexistent with will... he wanders in search of his country with love as his guide, and with love as his guide he does not go astray - his way, is loves way, and by love is made fierce...

"The precept he lives by is short: Love, and do what you will: whether you hold your peace, through love hold your peace; whether you cry out, through love cry out; whether you correct, through love correct; whether you spare, through love do you spare: let the root of love be within, of this root can nothing spring but what is good."

St. Augustine

The things he does, even those deeds that appear tough and fierce, he does from love and for love.

jema

The Chariot can sometimes be a vehicle in both its literal sense and its physical sense. In some decks the Charioteer is wearing armour in order to protect himself. I sometimes see the armour as a shell in a similar way to Cancer the Crab. Crabs have very soft flesh protected by a hard outer exterior. Once the crab outgrows its shell it discards it. Once someone has finished their fight or won their race they no longer need that particular vehicle.

This. Pretty much what I was gonna write.
Romantically I would see this as someone with a will to love but perhaps having a hard time letting people in. In Thoth he is holding a cup which to me symbolizes his quest for love but perhaps a love unattainable.

Just reading all these replies is so nice though, so many ways you can read this card!

WaterSong

The Sun sign assigned to the Chariot is Cancer...the most tenacious of all the signs.
When they love they do it fully and will endure a lot for it, and will persevere ....until they get where they want to be.
Very emotional, loyal sign, caring and protective ....I see in the Chariot the perseverance and endurance necessary to go trough challenges, with the goal in mind.

In love, the person has made up their minds and will go for it, no matter what. I do like the Chariot, and its conviction and drive.