Taking the Tarot to Heart

MarkMcElroy

Of Pips and Practicality

Diana said:
Mark: I really think your novel and PRACTICAL approach is wonderful.

Wow! Thanks!

Tarot means a great deal to me. I work with it every day, often several times a day. (It helps to be lucky enough to be writing full-time about Tarot!)

I appreciate, honor, and practice the meditative, reflective, and divinatory aspects of Tarot. At the same time, I'm also fascinated with the cards as a tool for generating action and focusing intention.

I'm very interested in bringing new folks into the Tarot community -- particularly those who have never touched a Tarot deck before. I'm eager, then, to come up with practical applications that anyone can use. At the same time, I hope the applications in these books will also give experienced Tarot users some new ideas and approaches to try.

Diana said:
Your books are obviously based on the Rider Waite deck, so they're not really up my street.

I do tend to work with decks that feature illustrated pips ... and since so many of the people I work with have never seen Tarot cards before, I default to illustrated pips in workshops and classes, too.

(The least-skilled beginner can look at the RWS Four of Cups and guess that the card "means" boredom or restlessness. Show corporate types the TdM Four of Cups, with four beautifully arranged pips, and they draw a complete blank.)

The good news is that the techniques do work with any deck -- including the TdM! Especially if you're already comfortable reading and working with the Tarot of Marseilles, you would be able to use that deck with these applications with no problem at all.

PS: I had the honor of attending a great workshop, led by Tom Tadfor Little, focused exclusively on reading with the antique Tarots. I've shared his great, easily-learned system with dozens of people (giving proper credit, of course). His approach dovetails well with these exercises and applications, too!

Thanks again for your interest! The entire text of Putting the Tarot to Work is online at TarotTools.com; I hope you'll feel free to browse it and see how easily the TdM can be used with that material.

All my best,
Mark

rota

Hey, this book looks like it's going to be great! I think I'll be in line next year to get mine when they appear.

I much prefer the new rosy pink cover to the older retro-50's version. The first one was well-crafted, but aside from the cinchy 'OK' gesture (so easily misinterpreted! ;) ), it reminds me altogether too much of the characters in the 'male enhancement' ads currently polluting television.

Can't wait to read this one!

MarkMcElroy

Update

Hi, folks!

Here's a little Taking the Tarot to Heart update, just in case anyone is still "tuned in" to the thread!

The first copies are now in Llewellyn's warehouse! That means we're right on schedule for the January release (though I wouldn't be surprised if the books turned up in local bookshops and chains sometime during late December).

So: while 2005 did seem a long way off, once ... now it's right around the corner!

Thanks again for your interest. I can't wait to hear what you think of the book!

Mark

baba-prague

Congratulations Mark! I need to catch up with my reading as I haven't (blush!) read your first book yet. But I will, I will...

MarkMcElroy

You've Been a Little Busy

Well...you've been a little busy making the Tarot deck that's supposed to be arriving at my house this afternoon via UPS! :)

I'm eager to see your latest work!

Mark

Imagemaker

Mark, I like the chosen title and cover so much better than the first pic in this thread. I'd never have bought such a cheesy-looking book. This one has possibilities :)

MarkMcElroy

Thanks!

I'm glad you like the new cover and title. I prefer them, too ... they're much more in keeping with the tone of the book, which is very warm and personal.

I'll be very interested in your opinion of the *inside,* too, as I really do care what my readers think.

There's a short preview over on TarotTools.com; feel free to take a peek!

I can't wait for January! :)

Mark

fairyhedgehog

I'm just reading "Putting the Tarot to Work" online and I love your style and your approach. I would really like to use Tarot more widely with other people, and I think that your approach will help me to do this.

By the way, I think it is an excellent idea to put the whole book online. That is how I first used Joan Bunning's book, before I decided to buy the more portable version :) I often try books out from the local library before deciding to buy them, and this way is even easier.

Many thanks!

MarkMcElroy

Enjoy the book!

fairyhedgehog said:
I'm just reading "Putting the Tarot to Work" online and I love your style and your approach. By the way, I think it is an excellent idea to put the whole book online. Many thanks!

Hey ... thank YOU for giving the book a try!

I confess the whole "put the book online" idea was inspired by Joan Bunning's gracious posting of her entire book to the web years ago.

My first Tarot book ever was Joan's book -- in its online edition. (I printed out the online pages, bound them, and carried around the notebook, at first!) Ultimately, though, I bought the book out of appreciation for her work (and because a printed copy was lighter! Ha!). Then I started giving copies away with every Tarot deck I gave as a gift.

So: Joan gave me one copy of her book, early on ... and now, I've bought and given away dozens of that same book! :)

Meanwhile: thanks again for reading Putting the Tarot to Work. If I can answer any questions or share ideas, please let me know!

Mark