Strength as love potential

Pao

What can this card say about love potential for two people? and/or the outcome for the relationship. I like this card but I dont see much romance in it. In a relationship reading as a potential for two people I would read it as maybe with patience things can have potential for romance. I saw it once a long time ago in a reading as the "beauty and best" type of thing, and once as an "abusive" relationship where one person had a terrible temper so it wasn't the best relationship, which was a strech for the card IMO but I ended up being correct. which leaves me without much romance ideas for it.

thoughts? experiences? what is the potential for a relationship with this card?

berrieh

The problem with Strength is that it depends on the system which state of 'Strength' they've chosen to show.

Generally, I see it as a card of discretion (though there's passion in it too, but it's being controlled by logic/discretion/protection). So, it's not lacking in passion or romance, but it's being very selective how that's expressed.

In the Thoth system, Lust is a different story. Caution has been thrown to the wind... passion is out in the open.

In any system, there's a lot of passion in Strength, though. Deep physical attraction. If you get Strength for someone's feelings, it generally denotes some sexual appeal... though you may never know it, as it may never be expressed.

Pao

thanks Berrieh :) I used RWS decks. I am not a fan of thoth unfortunately. I cant remember which deck I used to do the reading either but I remember getting it as potential for the relationship. I never saw passion in the card so thats an interesting view and I learned something new!

Inana

In my opinion Strength is very related with love and in general is a good card to get for a relationship, since it shows perseverance and courage, using softness and patience to get things working.

As love potential it can be a relationship that grows slowly but with a strong basis. There is the will to overcome the problems through time (the maiden has invested not only her skills but also a lot of time in her relationship with the lion).

In the Thoth it has a lot of sexual connotations, with the woman riding the beast. It's the desire working as the primary force of motivation to achieve what you want. It can relate not only to phsysical attraction but also to an intense and lasting desire. Good sex.

On the wrong side, maybe it can show dependance of one member upon the other, or the need to stop and control your instincs before sending all to hell.
The important is there is the desire and the will to make love a success.

Pao

wow I wonder why i cant see the love aspect in the card. I wonder what I'm missing. I like how you put it Innana, it makes perfect sense and it sounds lovely that way. a slow start with a strong basis...I wish all relationships were like that! :D

Demon Goddess

There is an aspect of "taming the beast" to the Strength card. I think maybe that is why Thoth has the maiden actually riding the animal.

On the Revelations' card, the maiden is sitting on the grass next to the lion petting him. He could bite her at any time, but because he likes her, he doesn't.

There's something to that idea, I think.

berrieh

As love potential it can be a relationship that grows slowly but with a strong basis. There is the will to overcome the problems through time (the maiden has invested not only her skills but also a lot of time in her relationship with the lion).

A fabulous point. The relationship between the woman and the lion is always something that emanates from the card strongly when I view it. :)

I just re-read my earlier post (jotted it off a bit quickly, I think), and I didn't mean to imply that the passion was never expressed. Discretion doesn't mean repression after all... Strength can be a great relationship card, especially with other positive cards around it.

But it can also indicate choosing not to enter into a bad match...even then, it is usually for the best. It all depends on where and how it falls.

moderndayruth

In my experience with RWS and Minchiate, Strenght in relationship readings can stand for two people that will get back together after the perod of separation ;)
I know it doesn't make sense, but there you go :D

berrieh

Just went back and looked at my journal.
I appear to have the same phenomenon as you, MDR.

moderndayruth

berrieh said:
Just went back and looked at my journal.
I appear to have the same phenomenon as you, MDR.

Wow! :eek: :D Thanks for sharing your experience, Berrieh! :heart::heart: :heart:
I am really happy you did cause it is rather unusual meaning, yet it did proove accurate in my readings :D
(I journal readings as well ;))
Love&Light
mdr