Intensive Deck Study (IDS) Support Thread ~ Part 3

DreamWalker

rwcarter said:
Dream,

I bet you can also check the De-enabling thread. I'm sure people have savaged the deck there in order to de-enable folks from it.

Stay strong,
Rodney

Real funny Rodney! haha

I did... I went and checked it out... Never even thought about checking out that thread before! Ya'll are pretty funny... reeeeaaaallll funny...

But really, Rodney...... This did not help matters... As a matter of fact - looking at that thread has me looking at how truly beauty-full some other decks are... dirty trick! *grins*

We'll see... I may actually end up HAVING to post in there if I keep this up! haha

Faolainn Storm

Well after much soul-searching I have finally decided to commit myself to (drumroll, please).....

[size=+1]The Legacy of the Divine Tarot[/size]

I finally narrowed it down to Legacy and Tarot of Dreams, and finally ended up comparing a random choice of card from each well shuffled deck. Tarot of Dreams gave me the Seven of Swords *eek* and Legacy gave me the Wheel of Fortune. Comparing these two it is clear that Legacy is the one for me. :D

I was planning to use the Tarot of Dreams as a comparison deck, but both are terribly possessive of me, and don't want to be used together (both gave me Four of Coins during the interview process :D). :shhh: Don't tell them, but I still might :shhh:.

I'm really excited by this. Some of the cards have already started to apeak to me - specifically the Magician and Justice. I now just have to sit down and write out what they are telling me. I think we're going to work well together!

FS

Prism

Reposting my IDS plans

I'm planning to work with the Medieval Enchantment until at least the end of February. I started mid-December.

I'm working my way through the Majors in order. Right now I'm working with Justice. In addition to just writing what I see in the card in question, I have started journalling a dialogue with it too, and that is opening it up for me, making it more fun and very therapeutic as well! I also want to come up with a way of laying out the Majors that makes sense to me.

Then I think I'll work through the Minors, starting with the Aces, then the 2's etc.

I'm trying to do a daily two-card draw at night. And I've been doing the Reading Circles -- very helpful!

Best wishes to you all.

2_Journey

Yay! A new IDS thread! :D

To respond to all those from the previous thread: I'm glad my "creative journaling" of the cards has struck a chord. I am enjoying myself so much. It really has revitalized my tarot journaling. One thing I've realized about my new approach to keeping my tarot journal is that it takes much longer than my previous method of writing the symbolism in each card individually. I really am having fun with it, and will be doing it for all of the majors (and hopefully the minors if I don't run out of steam).

At this rate, I'm looking at the Four Elements exclusively for 2009. That actually sounds like fun rather than a prison sentence, so I guess me and my deck really are getting along.

I've been studying tarot since 2000, but I really do feel like my studies are getting deeper, with a broader understanding of the cards since I started my IDS in mid-December. From reading previous posts, I think other IDSers have had the same experience. :)

rwcarter

DreamWalker said:
On the other hand, if I am reading intuitively, what I am learning may go out the window, but I will still have this strange sort of relationship with it to enable the message to be conveyed to me easily... (my hope anyways!)
YMMV, but because I had studied the various symbolism in the Ancient Egyptian Tarot, often when a card came up in a reading, I would zero in on some symbol and base my interpretation of the card on that. I didn't do it all the time, and I didn't do it with any frequency that I could put my finger on. So I must've been doing it intuitively. I looked at it as having that many more tools at my disposal for when I was interpreting a card. I had the author's meanings, meanings I've accumulated in my brain over the years, what I saw in the card and now knowledge of what particular symbols might indicate.

DreamWalker said:
I did... I went and checked it out... Never even thought about checking out that thread before! Ya'll are pretty funny... reeeeaaaallll funny...

But really, Rodney...... This did not help matters... As a matter of fact - looking at that thread has me looking at how truly beauty-full some other decks are... dirty trick! *grins*
A number of people have posted about how the de-enabling thread has actually enabled them. :D And the one time I tried to de-enable somebody on a deck, I ended up enabling him. So that was the end of my de-enabling career.... :laugh:

I'm glad you're getting along with your Inner Child Cards. And I'm sure the Gilded will be around for years to come, so it's not like you have to run out and get it tomorrow cause it might not be there the day after....

Faolainn Storm said:
The Legacy of the Divine Tarot
Faolainn, congrats on choosing the Legacy. I've updated the list to reflect your choice. Absolutely beautiful deck. Were it not for the Transparent, I'd be all over the Legacy....

2_Journey said:
At this rate, I'm looking at the Four Elements exclusively for 2009. That actually sounds like fun rather than a prison sentence, so I guess me and my deck really are getting along.
For a lot of people the thought of using one deck for an entire year would seem like a prison sentence. It says a lot about your connection with the deck that you can already tell in January that you'll still be using this deck in December. As much as I love the Transparent, I'm taking it day by day. While I might still be using it exclusively come December, I also might have moved onto some other deck. (Unlike you, I'm not culling my collection down any time soon....)

Rodney

SolSionnach

Good to see you, Cronesayer/Queen of Spades!. Nice to see someone working with the Anna K deck. It's not my cuppa, but is definitely a well-thought-out deck. :)
rwcarter said:
Nah, it'd just be a different IDS, an Intensive Decks Study instead of an Intensive Deck Study.... ;)

The Liber T is on my ever-lengthening short list of decks I want to get around to working with....
Hey Rodney, I thought the whole point of the IDS was to use *1* deck for the period of time, but since you're In Charge (LOL), and you say it's okay... well, it must be! ;) ;) :p I know all about that shortlist - I'm hoping that jmd's course will open up all my historical decks, because I want to work with all of them, too.
Faolainn Storm said:
Well after much soul-searching I have finally decided to commit myself to (drumroll, please).....

[size=+1]The Legacy of the Divine Tarot[/size][/center​
Yay! I'm glad that your IDS didn't end up about choosing a deck. :)
Me, I just grab whatever looks interesting and go with that. :)
Prism said:
I'm planning to work with the Medieval Enchantment until at least the end of February. I started mid-December.
Best wishes to you all.
Thanks, Prism.. :) I'm glad you're having such a successful IDS.
2_Journey said:
I'm with Rodney - good on you for being willing and able (and looking *forward* to) such a long time with one deck. You have my admiration!
2_Journey said:
I've been studying tarot since 2000, but I really do feel like my studies are getting deeper, with a broader understanding of the cards since I started my IDS in mid-December. From reading previous posts, I think other IDSers have had the same experience. :)
I think there's a world of difference when you stick to one thing, vs. jumping around (which I've done a lot of). Jumping around between systems means that you don't learn anything in detail... and unless you stick to RWS clones, or Thoth clones, or TdMs, you don't really begin to learn the ins and outs of reading. IMO, YMMV and all that!

I'm having an ongoing PM conversation with Scion, and his insights into Liber T have reassured me about the deck. I used to be a bit scared of it, but now I'm seeing it for the fantastical treasure that it is. I don't know how deeply I'll get into all the esoterica between now and jmd's course, but then again, G_D willing I'll have many more years to delve into it. :)

(going back to re-read 2_Journey's post in the last IDS thread...)​

rwcarter

sravana said:
Hey Rodney, I thought the whole point of the IDS was to use *1* deck for the period of time, but since you're In Charge (LOL), and you say it's okay... well, it must be! ;) ;) :p
Other folks have studied two decks together, so there's already a precedent. And as AR as I can be, I think that the only way the IDS can work for as many people as possible is if there are as few rules as possible. :D I'd probably caution someone new to the IDS against studying two decks at once (but of course the final decision is up to them), but you're an old hand (er... you're a pro ;) :laugh:) at the IDS, so you know what you'd be getting into.

And FTR, I'm not in charge. I'm facilitating. :D

And I can see myself doing a Victorian Romantic/Bohemian Gothic IDS one of these days. I don't see myself ever using the VR by itself, but I can definitely see using it in conjunction with the BG. Different backs be damned, I'd be using both decks together as one double (156 card) deck....

Rodney

Mateo06

I pledge to work with my Hanson Roberts deck daily. I have put my Robin Wood deck away, and even though I catch myself comparing these two decks I am trying not to. I have decided not to use my copy of "Tarot Plain and Simple" because it uses the Robin Wood illustrations. I am using the online resources on AT b/c those seem more Rider-Waite and Hanson Roberts is a close family member of the rider-waite. Daily draws are varying, and are loosely structured. Sometimes I just flop out some cards and look at them! Right now there are some tough relationships I am caught in the middle of. Using the cards give some relief of stress because I think I know what is going to happen. I think it imperative to get to know this deck, even though I haven't gotten to know my Robin Wood very well.

Question, can the three of cups mean someone is cheating on a relationship? It's popped with both decks when I ask about a certain relationship concerning my brother and his girlfriend.

Madame Squee

Okay, I inserted my pledge in my first post.

I'm home tomorrow -- I'll be doing a Lenormand exchange reading in the morning and housework in the afternoon. I'll also clear off my tarot table and put everything away to prepare for my IDS starting on Tuesday.

I only have one tarot deck on pre-order that will probably arrive during my IDS. I think I will put it away without checking it, because checking a deck always spells disaster for my IDS. However, I don't want to cancel it, because the pre-order price is excellent! :D

Later.

:heart:
QoS

rwcarter

Mateo,

I've added you to the list. I thought I'd already done that! :| Sorry....

In and of itself, I wouldn't consider the 3C from either of those decks to mean cheating. In context with other cards, I can definitely see how that might be a possible interpretation though.

QoS,

Knowing thyself is very important, isn't it? If checking a new deck for completeness will spell disaster for your IDS, then better to leave that puppy shrinkwrapped until your IDS is done! :laugh:

Rodney