TOADies Anonymous.

barefootlife

so... um... what incomplete decks might those be.... you know... because reasons....

Nope nope nope, this is TOADies, there is no enabling here! I will say that one of them is being shared on these forums as it progresses and the other is a very LGBTQ positive deck with renamed suits.

CharlotteK

Would trying to find a companion book to the Ancient Egyptian Tarot count?? I don't want to break my pledge but this deck arrived a few days ago from ebay with no LWB... Hey its not a deck is it, surely this is OK? 🙄

csmith0406

Had a close call last night, a couple glasses of wine and chatting with non-tarot friends about how much I enjoy Tarot art, decided I NEEDED the Kickstarter version of Darkana, but luckily it had already sold. Going on the wishlist for another time!
I didn't realize non-tarot people could enable me, but I guess selling them I accidentally sold myself. :)

Booklioness

Had a close call last night, a couple glasses of wine and chatting with non-tarot friends about how much I enjoy Tarot art, decided I NEEDED the Kickstarter version of Darkana, but luckily it had already sold. Going on the wishlist for another time!
I didn't realize non-tarot people could enable me, but I guess selling them I accidentally sold myself. :)

Heh! I sympathize. We watched "Live and Let Die" last night just for a random grin and when I saw her deck, thought again about the ones I'm lusting after. How about a movie enabling?

CharlotteK

I thought these comments from Seneca, advising Lucilius not to read shallowly but to get to know the canon well, might be useful advice. This is an approach I'm trying to develop more in life - do fewer things well, and to know things more thoroughly.

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Moral_letters_to_Lucilius/Letter_2

This is great, really good advice. I do admire people who seriously apply themselves to one thing, studying and learning deeply to truly understand. I aspire to be more like that if I can get my superficial materialism under control.

It reminded me a lot of what Chogyam Trungpa had to say about "Spiritual Materialism". It's not aimed at people who do genuinely collect for art reasons, but there is some relevance for me as I have reached the stage where constant acquisition is kinda getting in the way of doing something meaningful and deep.

"It is important to see that the main point of any spiritual practice is to step out of the bureaucracy of ego. This means stepping out of ego's constant desire for a higher, more spiritual, more transcendental version of knowledge, religion, virtue, judgment, comfort or whatever it is that the particular ego is seeking. One must step out of spiritual materialism. If we do not step out of spiritual materialism, if we in fact practice it, then we may eventually find ourselves possessed of a huge collection of spiritual paths. We may feel these spiritual collections to be very precious. We have studied so much. We may have studied Western philosophy or Oriental philosophy, practiced yoga or perhaps have studied under dozens of great masters. We have achieved and we have learned. We believe that we have accumulated a hoard of knowledge. And yet, having gone through all this, there is still something to give up. It is extremely mysterious! How could this happen? Impossible! But unfortunately it is so. Our vast collections of knowledge and experience are just part of ego's display, part of the grandiose quality of ego. We display them to the world and, in so doing, reassure ourselves that we exist, safe and secure, as "spiritual" people.

"But we have simply created a shop, an antique shop. We could be specializing in oriental antiques or medieval Christian antiques or antiques from some other civilization or time, but we are, nonetheless, running a shop. Before we filled our shop with so many things the room was beautiful: white-washed walls and a very simple floor with a bright lamp burning in the ceiling. There was one object of art in the middle of the room and it was beautiful. Everyone who came appreciated its beauty, including ourselves.

"But we were not satisfied and we thought, "Since this one object makes my room so beautiful, if 1 get more antiques, my room will be even more beautiful." So we began to collect, and the end result was chaos.

"We searched the world over for beautiful objects — India, Japan, many different countries. And each time we found an antique, because we were dealing with only one object at a time, we saw it as beautiful and thought it would be beautiful in our shop. But when we brought the object home and put it there, it became just another addition to our junky collection. The beauty of the object did not radiate out any more, because it was surrounded by so many other beautiful things. It did not mean anything anymore. Instead of a room full of beautiful antiques we created a junk shop!

"Proper shopping does not entail collecting a lot of information or beauty, but it involves fully appreciating each individual object. This is very important. If you really appreciate an object of beauty, then you completely identify with it and forget yourself. It is like seeing a very interesting, fascinating movie and forgetting that you are the audience. At that moment there is no world; your whole being is that scene of that movie. It is that kind of identification, complete involvement with one thing. Did we actually taste it and chew it and swallow it properly, that one object of beauty, that one spiritual teaching? Or did we merely regard it as a part of our vast and growing collection?"

euripides

It reminded me a lot of what Chogyam Trungpa had to say about "Spiritual Materialism". It's not aimed at people who do genuinely collect for art reasons, but there is some relevance for me as I have reached the stage where constant acquisition is kinda getting in the way of doing something meaningful and deep. ....

"Proper shopping does not entail collecting a lot of information or beauty, but it involves fully appreciating each individual object. This is very important. If you really appreciate an object of beauty, then you completely identify with it and forget yourself. ... . Did we actually taste it and chew it and swallow it properly, that one object of beauty, that one spiritual teaching? Or did we merely regard it as a part of our vast and growing collection?"

This was so perfect for me to read right now, on so many levels. Both relative to this thread and my Tarot practice, and my current return to spiritual search... and many other aspects of life, too. Thanks for sharing!

Booklioness

That is beautiful.

csmith0406

Thank you Charlotte for that wonderful posting, that was perfect for me to hear right now.

vie

I thought these comments from Seneca, advising Lucilius not to read shallowly but to get to know the canon well, might be useful advice. This is an approach I'm trying to develop more in life - do fewer things well, and to know things more thoroughly.

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Moral_letters_to_Lucilius/Letter_2

It reminded me a lot of what Chogyam Trungpa had to say about "Spiritual Materialism". It's not aimed at people who do genuinely collect for art reasons, but there is some relevance for me as I have reached the stage where constant acquisition is kinda getting in the way of doing something meaningful and deep."

Just what I needed to read right now, thank you both. Something to ponder.

I'm really really struggling not to order the deck currently at the top of my wish list.