Cardinal virtue of Wisdom/Prudence

kenji

Hi jmd & Helvetica! :)

You know, I'm not so serious about my casual idea above.
But it might be fun to go a little further...

To the 2nd trump Jean Dodal gave the title "LA PANCES".
He may have meant "LA PENSEE" (=thought).

I wonder if someone has refered to this before:confused:

DoctorArcanus

Sola Busca Queen of Discs

le pendu said:
In most of the representaions of Prudence that I've seen, she usually has a mirror in her hand, is sometimes depicted with two faces, and sometimes holds or steps on a serpent.

Giotto's Prudence:
http://www.abcgallery.com/G/giotto/giotto90.html

The Queen of Discs in the Sola Busca deck uses her disc as a mirror, so she presents some similarity to Giotto's prudence and to the Della Robbia terracotta posted by JMD
http://www.tarotforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1502

An exercice of wishful thinking could suggest that in Sola Busca the four queens represent the four virtues:

Discs(Elena / Helen)=Prudence http://www.facade.com/tarot/description/?Deck=sola_busca&Card=49
Swords(Olinpia / Olympias)=Justice http://www.facade.com/tarot/description/?Deck=sola_busca&Card=63
Maces (Palas / Pallas Athena) =Strength http://www.facade.com/tarot/description/?Deck=sola_busca&Card=77
Cups(Polisena / Polyxena)=Temperance http://www.facade.com/tarot/description/?Deck=sola_busca&Card=35

The Sola Busca Queen of Discs is one of my favourite cards in the deck. A witty one. I think the expression of the queen and the name Elena are enough to dismiss a connection to Prudence....but I just could not resist the temptation to throw my 2 cents in this intriguing iconographic investigation :)

Marco

jmd

At times, I personally consider that some of the apparently more far fetched free-flight thoughts of fancy can sow seeds yielding some of the greatest insights, even if in quite radically transformed form...

...it would perhaps not be too far fetched to consider what allegorical considerations were implied by the common naming of the courts. Perhaps indeed some lead to considerations of various virtues or intellectual qualities.

With regards to Kenji's question about whether others have previously referred to 'Pances' perhaps also indicating, in the language of the birds, to thought or thinking, I make this suggestion in a post (post 5) in 2002 in the main thread on II La Papesse - and of course others may also have made this point, though have neither seen nor heard such prior to my own mentioning of this years earlier in some courses.

kenji

Thank you jmd.
I'm honoured you had got the same idea as mine:)

Sophie

I agree with JMD, Kenji. It is possible to pronounce La Pances like La Pensée, especially in the Southern half of France. And it is so delightful to follow the language of birds through the Tarot...

kwaw

jmd said:
Wonderful link and reflections (again), kenji.

And as you say, Minerva (as Athena Minerva) is very likely, in the case of the linked image, also that fourth cardinal virtue: Wisdom.

If this is the case, then another consideration for the 'missing' virtue of wisdom is, in addition to the Papess, the Empress, who has, after all, possible correlations with Athena Minerva.

If one makes Kabalistic reflections on the same, then the equivalent consideration are the instances in which Hockmah may be used in the Old Testament, especially in relation to the other virtues.

Here, for me at least, it seems to be more closely connected with the light of the Sun... yet, there is also another appelation that St Thomas also reminds us about this virtue: as the charioteer of the virtues.

And Minerva is associated with the number 7, number of the Chariot in the TdM pattern.

In seven we have the conjunction of body [4] and soul [3], and was thus termed by the pythagoreans 'the vehicle of life'; of which the 'chariot' would seem a suitable hieroglyph. Here again we another example of an apparent match between image and numerological symbolism of the period.

Seven is attributed to the Moon, as it "doeth dispense the motion, and light of the Moon" [Agrippa]. That is the 28 day cycle of the Moon is apportioned into 4 phases of 7 days each, new moon, waxing quarter, full moon and waning quarter. Seven is the base of the triangular [and 'perfect'] number 28, that is the sum of the numbers 1-7 = 28, the full cycle. It is probable that it is in the lunar cycle that the seven day week originated.

However the seventh day is also the day of rest, and thus Agrippa mentions it also has correspondence with the planet Saturn. In Hebrew the seventh day is named after Saturn; and both the Moon and Saturn are connected in that on the eve of the sabbath, the day of rest, the Shekinah as 'bride' is drawn down, and the symbol of the Shekinah is the Moon. But they are also connected in that as the Moon has a 28 day cycle, Saturn has a 28 year cycle also having four periods of seven year periods [thus the 'seven year itch']. The Moon and Saturn are the two ends in the order of the seven planets, to which are attributed the 'seven stages' in the life of man. The Moon is attributed to infancy, and Saturn to old age; thus the two represent the journey of the 'vehicle of life' [body and soul] from infancy to old age.

Agrippa also states: "It is assigned to Minerva, because it proceeds of nothing; also to Pallas the Virago because it consists of numbers male and female." I find this interesting in relation to the Chariot in that I have always considered that the charioteer to me appears androgynous, and could certainly in my eyes perhaps be a warrior maiden such as Minerva or Pallas Athena the virago. Indeed in the early painted decks the charioteer is clearly a woman. The epithets of Minerva include Hippias, that is Goddes of Horses, and in the battle of the gods and giants she rode her chariot against Enceladus. She is also the Goddes of Bridling [Chalinitidos], and it was she who broke in and bridled the winged horse Pegasus. As Goddes of Wisdom having mastery over horses she represents reasons or wisdoms controll of the passions or appetitive soul. She is also Goddess of Victory in battle with attributes of prudence, that is practical wisdom, and valour.

Seven is also connected with wisdom [the seven pillars of wisdom] and purity [7 pairs of the clean or 'kosher' animals went into the arc, as opposed to only two of each 'unclean']; this too would fit in with the Virgin Goddess of Wisdom, Pallas Minerva. Wisdom as auriga virtutum, 'the charioteer of the virtues', a metaphore to be found originally in Plato, is to be found with great frequency in Christian texts. Plato described the soul as threefold, the appetitive, the spirited and the reasoning. The appetitive and spirited aspects he described as two horses, with reason [whose virtue is wisdom] as the charioteer. Alanus Magnus de Insulis, in his Anticlaudianus, provides another link with the number 7 in that he describes the chariot as being formed by wisdom out of the seven arts, grammar, logic, rhetoric, arithmetic, music, geometry and astronomy.

Aquinas somewhat differs from Plato however, in that he follows Augustine in describing wisdom as the virtue of will rather than reason.

Kwaw

jmd

Finally having my own copy of Frances Yates's Art of Memory, I am re-reading this masterpiece only partly read many years ago... and had obviously forgotten connections pertinent to this (more recent) discussion.

On page 20, she writes:

Towards the end of De Inventione, Cicero defines virtues as 'a habit of mind in harmony with reason and the order of nature' [...]. He then states that virtue has four parts, namely [the cardinal virtues Prudence, Justice, Fortitude, and Temperance [note order]. Each of these four main virtues he subdivides into parts of their own. The following is his definition of Prudence and its parts:

Prudence is the knowledge of what is good, what is bad and what is neither good nor bad. Its parts are [note threefold aspect] memory, intelligence, foresight (memoria, intelligentia, providentia). [...]​

If we look within the deck for a cardinal virtue of Wisdom/Prudence, and taking into account both the Ars Memoria in other places suggested also for Tarot together with Cicero's ordering of the virtues, and his threefold division of Prudence, and his further linking of the same with moral determinations, card V (the Pope), equidistant with the other three Cardinal virtues, seems to suggest itself in a natural, though more unexpected manner.

kwaw had earlier mentioned Cicero - and here mention him specifically in connection with the Pope card and its relation to Prudence.

kwaw

2 = II "LA PAPESSE" = FAITH
[Papesse as symbol of the Church, being the congregation of the Faithful].

2 + 3 = V "LE PAPE" = PRUDENCE/WISDOM

5 + 3 = VIII "LA JUSTICE" = JUSTICE

8 + 3 = XI "LA FORCE" = FORTITUDE

11 + 3 = XIIII "TEMPERANCE" = TEMPERANCE

[Prudence/Justice/Fortitude/Temperance thus following the order in Cicero, as referenced by JMD]

14 + 3 = XVII "L'ETOILE" = HOPE
[The star as symbol of christ's birth, light of the world and hope of man].

17 + 3 = XX "LE JUGEMENT" = CARITAS
See under heading 'Love and Judgement' here: http://journals.aol.co.uk/kwaw93/NumberSymbolism/entries/480

If we see it as a 'ladder of virtues' with the central strut of the ladder an allegory of:

19 - 20 - 21 [Caritas]
16 - 17 - 18 [Hope]
13 - 14 - 15 [Temperance]
10 - 11 - 12 [Fortitude]
07 - 08 - 09 [Justice]
04 - 05 - 06 [Prudence]
01 - 02 - 03 [Faith]

what meaning or relationship, if any, to their 'central virtue' do the pairs on either side have?
Kwaw

dminoz

Bumping this thread because it's fascinating.

A while ago I came up with the notion (I can't remember how) that the Love(r)(s) card could be a representation of Prudence, on account of the challenge of choice/conduct that it suggests, along with a moral component -- a proposition supported, imho, by its position at the start of a sequence such as:

Love - Temperance - Strength - Justice - Chariot

(or some similar ordering -- there are so many variants that we can just about make up our own and be happy in doing so... but basically I'm suggesting that the virtues and the triumphal carriage on which they sit are found together, in the same group of five, as in the A series)

So, it was with interest that I read in this thread the suggestions that the third wreathed figure in the Lovers card is a messenger from Sophia (Fulgour, p.3 of this thread), and also the wonderful idea that the Love card could be a clue that there is a Western tantra at work here -- an idea which makes sense, considering the role that Dante's girlfriend played in inspiring his works, plus the role of other women as muses -- the tantra idea is a fascinating one. (Ross, on p.4 of this thread).

Also, the article at http://www7.ocn.ne.jp/~elfindog/Enotg1.htm is very interesting, and gives some suggestions about the origin of the trump imagery. Putting it so back in years, and also into Northern Europe as well, is exciting. Plus it discusses the notion that Prudence being missing as an explicit representation might be quite deliberate: "the undepicted Prudence is the Bible itself, or a person or "you" who read the Bible" ... the same might apply to the Tarot, and why we have no "Prudence" card.

For some time, I thought I was alone and probably deluded in thinking that there could be some kind of link between the Love card and Prudence; I may still be wrong, but at least I've found some company :)

Putting these ideas together has the feeling (for me) of going right to the core of what the trumps are about. As always in this forum, I drop in for a quick read, and emerge hours later...

rahnefan

Every Third Card A Virtue?

Pretty neat. Judgment, discernment, and prudence are words that are used interchangeably to some extent in modern times...don't know about 500 years ago. :)

0 - Fool
1 - Juggler
2 - Charity
3 - Empress
4 - Emperor
5 - Faith
6 - Love
7 - Chariot
8 - Justice
9 - Old Man
10 - Wheel
11 - Fortitude