Is This Legal?

firecatpickles

Elven said:
What I find concerning is the copyright claims
I will write.

Good luck. This company is in Russia.

cirom

Exactly, to assume that they would "do the right thing" just because they were asked to. Or threaten someone in Russia with legal action would be futile.

But hopefully if enough potential customers do the right the thing, and inform them that they won't buy the product, then it may question the commercial validity of their "business plan"

If not and this is allowed to go unaddressed, or encouraged by actually buying such products. Then its a dangerous direction for the future. Tarot publishing is'nt the music or movie industry where piracy losses can be absorbed. Piracy can have serious consequences to small time players.

moderndayruth

This is the message i sent them, signed and with e-mail included:
To whom it may concern
I would like to inform you that it has been brought to the attention of the international Tarot community that the product you advertise might contain copyrighted Tarot decks and that the artists who created the decks as it seems were not even informed about their work being included into your commercial undertaking.
Unless you can prove the opposite, we, Tarot enthusiast and collectors, will make sure to suggest to as many Tarot lovers as we know through numerous Tarot forums to boycott your product.

GreenMoonBeam

Would this be better as a sticky and moved to another part of the forum? Do
many users come here to look at this section? Or should word of mouth/post
be used to let others know. This is most unpleasant. (Can not think of sharper
words as they would be impolite)
Genii

gregory

It has been advertised on another forum. I will alert people there that it is illegal.

ETA the guy's name seems to be Aleksey Lapshin. Someone to watch for.....

moderndayruth

here is the reply:
Hello,

Note, that even the windows folder(directory) may contains 78 scanned
images of the cards (but not only). And what? Microsoft must inform
anybody, that MSWindows "...might > contain copyrighted Tarot
decks..."?? I'm not sure...

There're only one deck in the program installer. It is one classical
deck and the author is dead.

But, look http://orphalese.net/decksbydominatrix.aspx?chosenculture=en
This is one example of the site like ours.
I can't find any (c) there... But I know more than 20 websites like
this. And What?

I don't understand, what do you want? Remove decks(zip-archives)
and/or their sample images from the site? Or anything else?

(not signed)

firecatpickles

But Orphalese doesn't pirate its images and has agreements with various artists.

And if this person is on the up-and-up, why make posts in different forums around the net using a fake name?

gregory

Orphalese used to have loads of pirated decks available that bad people like me thoughtlessly uploaded.... :| - and stopped doing so. Taroteca is naughty but makes no profit (nor did Orphalese from the pirated decks, actually...)

I have just downloaded several decks from THIS site that I KNOW are copyright - just so I can tell Ric (they are mostly LS decks) that I did so, so that he has something concrete to work with..... The BIG issue is that this guy is making money by exploitation, in effect. He just doesn't get it, does he.

I have alerted Solandia, too, in case he shows up advertising here.....

cirom

I notice that the original links posted on this thread have been deactivated. No doubt they will appear somewhere else soon enough, but for now it seems our actions have achieved something.