Philosophical/purpose question

Morwenna

So hard to condense what I want to ask in a subject line!

But what I want to know is this: is Lenormand only for predictive questions? I've read lots of threads, lots of LWBs, and now a good chunk of Rana George's book, and all I see are forecasts and predictions. Having long ago forsworn the use of Tarot for myself for predictive questions, am I wasting my time and money and collecting space on items for a system that is uncongenial to me? Should I just be practicing with this so I can use it on other people? It is such a fascinating system, but I no longer read predictively for myself, nor will I ask for predictions from anyone else. I have the same question about Kipper.

Lunajade

Non predictive Lenormand readings

As a non predictive reader you can use lenormand for psychological insightful readings. Rana Georges book offers spiritual and advice meanings for each card. Maybe you can explore to use those meanings for psychological and spiritual readings.

ana luisa

Ditto. Lenormand can be used for much more complex readings. But in that case, less would be more. Try with one or two cards first.

Barleywine

I personally don't use Lenormand for psychological readings (But, frankly, I don't use tarot much for that either, except perhaps with the court cards and the old ideas of temperaments and "humours.) I stay pretty much with the viewpoint that Lenormand is most effective for practical matters. There's certainly nothing stopping me except preference and long-standing past practice (call it a backlash against New Age "touchy-feely," which I lived through in its infancy back in the '70s).

Morwenna

Thank you all.

My problem is that I just don't want to know the future, even half a day ahead. When I read for myself, it's either to analyze myself or analyze a situation, in other words current things. But if there are indeed examples of such in Rana's book, I'll look more carefully for them.

Barleywine

Thank you all.

My problem is that I just don't want to know the future, even half a day ahead. When I read for myself, it's either to analyze myself or analyze a situation, in other words current things. But if there are indeed examples of such in Rana's book, I'll look more carefully for them.

I use the distance method in the Grand Tableau to a much greater extent than the past/present/future approach. In that respect, I got more out of Andy Boroveshengra's book than I did out of Rana's. The future of the situation is more implicit than linear, as it would be in simply reading rows or columns as a progression over time. But line spreads are a different matter, and it's kind of difficult to avoid seeing them as a timeline. Still, I don't get much psychological nuance out of Lenormand; it's more what the computer geeks used to call "WYSIWYG."

frelkins

Sure. I never "tell fortunes" but always use the cards to support sitters as they empower themselves. Tarot, Kipper, Lennie, playing cards - it's not the modality per se you use, it's the outlook & process of letting querents find their own language in the cards, to use them as a mirror. :D Best wishes.

Izzydunne

Lenormand is a fortune telling deck named after a famous fortune teller.

Of course you can use it as you please, but it has a very definite vibration for prediction.

Teheuti

You can use Lenormand for finding lost objects, getting a feel for the best option (like which item on a restaurant menu to go with), or simply to describe a current situation or person, or advice (advice can be tricky).

A good way to phrase Lenormand questions can be "What do I need to know about ____?" Or "What do I need to be aware of today?" Remember it's best to be more specific than you might be with Tarot.