Anime poker cards turned oracle cards

sliderkta

Hello! My name is Kadi. I'm new to the forums (just signed up yesterday), and I couldn't help but notice a thread on playing cards used in cartomancy.
Just thought I should point out an unusual but useful alternative to the regular cartomancy poker card: anime poker cards.

I own an Japanese imported poker card set based on the anime, The Slayers. When it was purchased in 1999 (on my b-day), some people close to me said it looked like a bunch of small tarot cards without the major arcana. The pack is about an inch smaller than a pack of Bicycle poker cards. It costed about $6 at an anime shop. Each card has a different piece of artwork (usually from the manga or a promo poster), and the back of the card is metallic yellow with Lina Inverse (the main character) performing the Dragon Slave spell. I didn't believe what anyone said until I started learning about tarot cards last march.

Recently, I started using the cards, and they're very accurate... like the Fairy Ring oracle cards and the Universal deck I own. And the best part of all... it's not a picky deck! It doesn't give inconclusive or extremely abstract answers to important, but small questions (like if a business is reputable or not-- trust me, this is handy to do in Los Angeles since it too easy for a business owner to lie about their operations). And it handles the critical big questions nicely too (like the steps I must take to get out my financial situation or what my last past life was like). The Fairy Ring and Universal decks seem to like only very critical questions.

I wouldn't be suprised if the creators of the card deck had intended for the deck to be used in divination. Oracles are still taken seriously in Japan unlike here in the US where it is seen as entertainment. I can imagine a young japanese girl using this deck to find out if Mr. Cute Class President will ask her out on a date. ^_~

By the way, the system I used for determining the cards' meaning is at this website: http://www3.sympatico.ca/terrir/divination_index.html

--Kadiya

catlin

Hi Kadiya,
Merry meet and welcome to the board.

I have to admit I am not so much into anime, I only have the Clau cards and they work fine for reading.

I often read with the Alchemy Arcana playing cards, they are not everybody's cup of tea because of the skulls etc but I am also very content with the accuracy of this deck. You can see them here: http://www.alchemygothic.com/catalogue/cat-html/i_CARD2_Alchemy_Arcana_Playing_Cards.html

Thanks a lot for sharing your suggestions.

Edited to add the link.

HarleyQuinnX

Hiya Kadiya!

As you said before, there's a lot of different variations on cartomancy.

I think that a Slayers Tarot deck wouldn't be too hard to pull off anyways. I'd imagine that Lina using Dragon Slave would be the Strength card, Gourry would be the King of Swords, and Amelia would be the Magician. Xelos would probably be the Moon card, just because he's sneaky and deceptive. Anyways, thanks for sharing! :)

sliderkta

catlin said:
Hi Kadiya,
Merry meet and welcome to the board.

I have to admit I am not so much into anime, I only have the Clau cards and they work fine for reading.

I often read with the Alchemy Arcana playing cards, they are not everybody's cup of tea because of the skulls etc but I am also very content with the accuracy of this deck. You can see them here: http://www.alchemygothic.com/catalogue/cat-html/i_CARD2_Alchemy_Arcana_Playing_Cards.html

Thanks a lot for sharing your suggestions.

Edited to add the link.

Wow! I like the artwork, but could never own one. There are too many religious zealots in the areas I travel to and live in. It's bad enough I have to hide the other two decks from public view. ;_;

sliderkta

HarleyQuinnX said:
Hiya Kadiya!

As you said before, there's a lot of different variations on cartomancy.

I think that a Slayers Tarot deck wouldn't be too hard to pull off anyways. I'd imagine that Lina using Dragon Slave would be the Strength card, Gourry would be the King of Swords, and Amelia would be the Magician. Xelos would probably be the Moon card, just because he's sneaky and deceptive. Anyways, thanks for sharing! :)

Ooo! You've given me an idea! Now I have to find some business card paper and new pics to make the 22 arcana cards. Then I'll have a Slayers tarot deck for real! Thanks for the idea! ^_^

Gourry = King of Swords???? LOL!!! I always thought he could be The Sun and his drag queen pics would work perfectly for The World. Then again... he does have very high ideals...

HarleyQuinnX

Well, I was just saying that because he uses a sword. I think that if you were doing a Major Arcana only deck, he'd probably be the Chariot, because he's always rushing into situations.

Maybe for Temperance, you could use Amelia and her father performing a Pacifist Crush together. ^_^ Amelia's so crazy, you've gotta love her.
Perhaps Naga as the Devil?

Anyways, if you do make a deck, I'd be very interested in seeing the outcome.

sliderkta

HarleyQuinnX said:
Well, I was just saying that because he uses a sword. I think that if you were doing a Major Arcana only deck, he'd probably be the Chariot, because he's always rushing into situations.

Maybe for Temperance, you could use Amelia and her father performing a Pacifist Crush together. ^_^ Amelia's so crazy, you've gotta love her.
Perhaps Naga as the Devil?

Anyways, if you do make a deck, I'd be very interested in seeing the outcome.

I'm not doing only Major Arcana. It will be shuffled in with the poker cards. When I'm done the only difference between this deck and an actual tarot deck would be the Jack cards. Jack will stand for both Pages & Knights of their suit.

That little deck is about the size of business cards. So print outs should work nicely... ^_^