I did some research on the Diamond

shelikes2read

On another crystals forum I frequent, there is a very active thread entitled "What crystals are you wearing/carrying today?" Naturally, I've put my two cents in on that thread on occasion, as I'm forever wearing my quartz sphere pendant and, lately, emerald earrings.

Last night, I mentioned in the "What are you wearing" thread that I was amazed at myself for repeatedly forgetting to list the one stone that I never remove. I suppose I can be partly excused for the omission, as my engagement and wedding rings are two pieces of jewelry that, though they never leave my hand, were not obtained for metaphysical reasons. Well, as outward symbols of inner commitment, they actually DO serve a purpose beyond that of mere adornment. But unlike, say, the quartz sphere pendant which I specifically DID make for metaphysical reasons, I didn't put the diamond on my hand and think, "Now let's get some diamond into my energy field and raise my vibration level accordingly."

I realize that for the vast, vast majority of members here, we are most likely not going to run out and amass a huge diamond collection. That would be cost-prohibitive, to say the least! The cost certainly prohibits ME from running out and buying truckloads of crystallized carbon. I have many interesting qualities, but "made of money" is not one of my attributes. ;)

However, because it's not uncommon to have *a* piece of diamond jewelry at some point in our lives -- especially since the tradition in Western culture is for women who get engaged to also receive a diamond ring as a symbol of that promise -- I feel that this stone, which is rarely discussed on any of the crystal-discussion boards I visit, is well worthy of mention.

I can't find my first two books on crystals, which I read in the 90s and are currently packed up because I've since moved. One book was by Uma Silbey, and the other was by Scott Cunningham, and I am positive that I read the following comment in one of those two books: one attribute of diamonds is that stones that are passed down through generations of a family garner special energies. This is particularly true, according to said book, of stones that are passed down through the female line, from each female owner to her daughter. My family hasn't got a lot in the way of stones that would hold that kind of provenance (it's that whole "not made of money" issue again, lol). Therefore, I can neither verify nor disprove that statement. But for those of us who do have such a piece of jewelry, perhaps it's time to take a look at it with fresh eyes, and see the energies that it has accumulated over multiple generations of being worn.

In any event, what I've discovered about the metaphysical properties of Diamonds, in the light of the research I've done in the past day or so, is that Diamonds are, in fact, a master healer stone. They resonate with all Chakras, provide protection, increase strength, help to eliminate energy blockages, magnify the properties of other stones, and also magnify our emotions and energies. This last attribute is a double-edged sword, as they will magnify both positive and negative energies/emotions. So be cognizant of your state of mind before bringing a diamond into your energy field, since you wouldn't want to see negative or hostile energies getting amplified. Instead, when holding or wearing the diamond, focus on the intent of driving out the unwanted energies by amplifying the positive and uplifting energies that are also present in you. Because remember, no matter WHAT your state of mind is at any given time, there are always going to be at least some positive, life-giving vibrations present in your mind, your heart, your energy field, and so on. By training our attention on those energies, we bring them to the forefront and raise our vibration level.

I've found some really interesting things at http://www.shimmerlings.com/gemstones/diamond.htm , including this: "The Diamond has a wide and varied magical repertoire. Worn as jewelry is is known to promote spirituality, even ecstasy, the shaman's ritual state of consciousness. It is commonly used in meditation and pursuits of spirituality." So if you are working on meditation and on strengthening your abilities to reach a higher state of consciousness, and you've got access to a diamond, try bringing it on board for your meditation sessions and evaluate the impact it has on your results.

Remember -- and this is a statement that really needs to be driven home in any Crystals 101 course -- the size of a crystal does not limit its power. Energies are energies, and they belong just as much to a small specimen as to a large one. So we need not worry that our only specimen of a given stone is not as big as a house. Large or small, it still has its own unique energies, and bringing those energies into our own energy field will still raise our vibration accordingly.

So, if you've got any crystallized carbon anywhere in your home, of any size at all, perhaps today would be a good day to train your focus on it and become better acquainted with it. Happy experimenting! :)

rachelcat

Thanks for the info! I agree, we often don't think of the stones we wear every day! I wear an anniversary ring between my wedding ring and my (diamond) engagement ring that has a row of 4 rubies with diamonds in between. (All the stones are really small, but you said size doesn't matter!)

I got the ruby and diamond ring around my tenth anniversary, so that means I've been wearing it every day for 20 years! So if there are significant effects of wearing rubies, I wouldn't know because it's my normal!

I haven't noticed a difference on random days when I've forgotten to put my rings back on after lotioning my hands. But then I wasn't focusing on it.

Maybe I'll experiment by "forgetting on purpose" for a day or two and see if there's a difference in my clarity or energy level. Or intensity of hot flashes!

And I wonder about the interaction of diamond and ruby. I know they LOOK good together, but do they work well together?

Tarot Orat

Wow, I NEVER think of my engagement ring either - it's got a sapphire and some little diamonds. Since diamond has the highest refractive index of any stone and its brilliance is unmatchable (adamantine, even!), the actual stones themselves refract every color of the spectrum and all the chakra hues when the tiniest amount of light strikes them. No wonder they resonate with every chakra!

(I hope no one minds my bringing gemology in here, I try to understand the stones physically as well as metaphysically.)

shelikes2read

Wow, I NEVER think of my engagement ring either - it's got a sapphire and some little diamonds. Since diamond has the highest refractive index of any stone and its brilliance is unmatchable (adamantine, even!), the actual stones themselves refract every color of the spectrum and all the chakra hues when the tiniest amount of light strikes them. No wonder they resonate with every chakra!

(I hope no one minds my bringing gemology in here, I try to understand the stones physically as well as metaphysically.)

By all means, bring in ALL the gemology you can muster! It's hugely important for us to become knowledgeable about all the properties of stones, not just the metaphysical ones. It's all a part of staying grounded while doing our learning, IMO.

Hemera

This is a great thread and I´ll add it to our Crystal Study Groups

I have read someplace that the "tradition" of having diamonds in wedding and engagement rings is fairly new and started by the ad campaigns by some big diamond houses like De Beers.

I often alternate with a diamond ring that I got on our 20th anniversary and a plain gold ring and I can definitely feel the difference. So much so that I choose the ring for the day depending on if I need some fiery Aries energy or if I want to have a more peaceful and serene (lazy :) ) day.

shelikes2read

Definitely, the tradition of diamonds on engagement rings was put forth by the diamond companies. And, sadly, said companies are the reason why these stones cost the amount that they do, because carbon, the crystal of which diamonds are formed, is not an uncommon substance.

However, setting all this aside, I thought I'd do a little homework, both online and experientially, with a stone that, though it's widely worn, is something I haven't seen much writing about.

And I'll tell you what... my intense focus on it yesterday appears to have made me noticeably bolder and more outspoken than usual. I am going to have to be judicous about my words, to make sure that if I'm having a diamond-induced "speak my mind" moment, that I employ as much tact as possible. There are times when having a strong personality is an asset, but we're still responsible for the way we choose to express ourselves.

wildchilde

great information on the Diamond! Thanks for starting this thread. I have always wondered too how it became "tradition" in wedding ring sets. LOL (should have known it was the all mighty dollar!)

You make some great points...my wedding ring is an infinity band of tiny diamonds and sapphires. I actually did choose to have the sapphires included for their metaphysical purpose (this was purely instinctual...I had not yet begun studying the power of stones then.) I just knew it was a stone of healing, protection, emotional balance, and fidelity and given the prior relationships we both came from I figured we needed all the help we could get. Also, it is second in hardness only to the diamond so I knew it would withstand the test of time.

However, I don't remember ever considering what the diamond represented!! Not until you brought it up in this thread :) It does very much seem to be the "ignored" crystal. I wonder if combining the diamond with some sort of balancing stone (like the sapphire) helps to counter act some of the energy magnification elements that you mentioned.

I do believe the point that diamonds passed through the generations carry the energies of others with them. I also don't think that is necessarily a good thing. I am only basing this on the fact that my ex-husband asked me to marry him with a diamond that belonged to his mother. Unfortunately, she and his father had divorced after 30 years of marriage and had always had a very tumultuous relationship. Although I was very honored to receive this gift from her through him, from the moment I received it I could feel the energy of that broken relationship and it did very much seep into our relationship which eventually ended very badly after 11 years. I actually always wanted to return that diamond to her (as a courtesy but also as a way of ridding myself of it!) but I never had the opportunity. :(

Hemera

It does very much seem to be the "ignored" crystal.
This must be because of their value. Not many of us crystal collectors can really collect tumbled stone diamonds :)
I wonder if combining the diamond with some sort of balancing stone (like the sapphire) helps to counter act some of the energy magnification elements that you mentioned.
I´m sure it does because I made the mistake of once getting an infinity ring with diamonds and rubies (all just tiny ones) and the combination is so strong I very rarely wear it.

I do believe the point that diamonds passed through the generations carry the energies of others with them. I also don't think that is necessarily a good thing.
I agree. I actually really wondered why those young (and very wealthy) people of the British Court, Prince William and Kate chose to have Diana´s sapphire as their engagement ring. Diana was not exactly a happy person and one would think that stone has picked up a lot of not-so-good energies..

Tarot Orat

Historically, pre-De Beers et al., the stones in engagement and wedding rings were the hard but colorful ones - sapphire, ruby, emerald, aquamarine, etc. Pearls were used too, although they're not very hard and have a definite age limit...100-200 years, definitely long enough to last a marriage even between centenarians, but they're not as good for passing down through the generations, for whatever that's worth. The only stone considered unlucky for commitment-type rings was opal, which is fragile (it actually contains water, and if it dries out, it pretty much falls apart). Prior to modern stabilizing elements, opal was a risky thing to put on your finger where it would be much more exposed to knocks than, say, opal earrings or necklaces.

Every woman in my family for the past 3 generations has had a non-diamond engagement ring: my grandmother had an emerald, my mom a ruby, me a padparadschah sapphire, and my brother's wife a blue sapphire. It's quite a rainbow! I don't know about my grandmother, but the rest of us also picked our own stones directly from a jeweler or gem dealer. (Obviously, our engagements were not total surprises ;) ) I LOVE my sapphire, all the more because I personally chose it from my favorite gem-seller and I even know where it was mined from!

Tarot Orat

I agree. I actually really wondered why those young (and very wealthy) people of the British Court, Prince William and Kate chose to have Diana´s sapphire as their engagement ring. Diana was not exactly a happy person and one would think that stone has picked up a lot of not-so-good energies..

I thought about that too...her life was so tragic. But she did have beautiful children who loved her dearly and did so much good in her short time on earth with her charity work around the world. And sapphire is a stone of such powerful healing....I wonder if it's able to heal itself of its past influences? Or to absorb the happiness of the newly-married couple and counterbalance the sad past with that...