Is there a Crowley concordance?

Zephyros

If I look for a certain name or term, it would be helpful to have an index cross-referencing the material. Is there such a thing (Thelemapedia is sorely lacking)?

Richard

If I look for a certain name or term, it would be helpful to have an index cross-referencing the material. Is there such a thing (Thelemapedia is sorely lacking)?
I am looking for such a thing also, but no luck so far.

Ross G Caldwell

There is a "Crowley Cross-Index" by Will Parfitt, 1976, but it is essentially a primary and secondary bibliography of Crowley's works, not a concordance at all.

There used to be programs (and probably are apps) that can find any term in the Holy Books, and there is a print "Concordance to the Holy Books of Thelema" (Colin Campbell, 2008), but again, that will be of limited use.

I think Google is the best search engine for Crowley, since most of the works one will need are online in readable form. The trick is to narrow the search efficiently. Obviously a phrase is much better than a word.

If the online search fails, it is possible to ask experts in Crowley's work here and in other forums. They are usually happy to help, not least because it gives them an excuse to read Crowley and test or refresh their memories.

Zephyros

If the online search fails, it is possible to ask experts in Crowley's work here and in other forums. They are usually happy to help, not least because it gives them an excuse to read Crowley and test or refresh their memories.

Thanks, that's what I've been doing. The only problem is that there are many things I don't know that I don't know. Sometimes one doesn't know enough to even ask a question, or do a Google search. Although I have apparently discovered both Crowley and Lilith are characters in a TV show. :)

Ross G Caldwell

Thanks, that's what I've been doing. The only problem is that there are many things I don't know that I don't know. Sometimes one doesn't know enough to even ask a question, or do a Google search. Although I have apparently discovered both Crowley and Lilith are characters in a TV show. :)

He mentions Lilith as a demonic hag in the 3rd and 2nd Aethyrs of the Vision and the Voice
http://hermetic.com/crowley/the-vision-and-the-voice/aethyr3.html
http://hermetic.com/crowley/the-vision-and-the-voice/aethyr2.html
- where she is in turn, of course, it being Crowley, a form of Babalon, repulsive and attractive at the same time. She is seduction unto death - a good death! Maybe Kali is a more well-known equivalent.

Famously he named his first daughter, with his first wife Rose, "Nuit Ma Ahathoor Hecate Sappho Jezebel Lilith", and both he and Rose called her, before her death in infancy in 1906, simply "Lilith".

Grigori

Although I have apparently discovered both Crowley and Lilith are characters in a TV show. :)

Crowley, Lillith and Aleister are all demons on Supernatural. There is quite a bit of occult and Thelemic references in the show, and currently unicursal hexagrams all over the shop, Kripke must have a solid interest. I want to get a t-shirt with a quote from the show "It's funnier in Enochian" (said by an angel in reference to translation an Enochian joke referring to shagging the throat of a goat...) LOL

I must admit to not entirely understanding this thread however. What is a Crowley Concordance, and when would one use it? What does it do?

gregory

A concordance is:
An alphabetical index of all the words in a text or corpus of texts, showing every contextual occurrence of a word:

So it's somewhere where everything in all of Crowley related to Lilith - for instance - is listed in one place, so that you can see it "all on one page"

Maybe here is the ideal place to set one up ? Everyone adds everything they find ?

Good luck with that ! })

Grigori

A concordance is:

So it's somewhere where everything in all of Crowley related to Lilith - for instance - is listed in one place, so that you can see it "all on one page"

Maybe here is the ideal place to set one up ? Everyone adds everything they find ?

Good luck with that ! })

Ah thanks. So a relic of before the days of CTRL+F then :) I've often wished my kindle had that feature so I could search all the pdfs on it...

gregory

Ah thanks. So a relic of before the days of CTRL+F then :) I've often wished my kindle had that feature so I could search all the pdfs on it...

CTRL+F would only work if ALL the works were open on ONE page at the same time... :bugeyed: