How do YOU pronounce Thoth?

Stark Raven

I was told long ago that Thoth is pronounced Toth. I was a little shocked today to find out that Thoth, the way it looks to be pronounced is also correct, as well as both of the aforementioned with a long o sound. Actually it's supposed to have a long o sound. Oh yes, and I neglected one more pronunciation - Tote.

Now given that these are all correct, and I have only heard two used on YouTube (Thoth & Toth), and only ever heard one person say it in recent years (he said Toth, short o); my curiosity is now killing me, how do YOU pronounce Thoth?

Zephyros

I think the correct way is Tot, like"tiny tots," or perhaps like toate like "toast"

Also keep in mind "th" isn't always a "the" sound like in English. Tet in Hebrew would also be written as a th, but it was originally guttural in nature, differentiating it from the Tau sound of which comes from the tongue.

Also, it is highly doubtful how Egyptian was pronounced anyway (Thoth is the Greek version) so the validity even of Tehuti is suspect. It also isn't a question of correct, so much as many people can just say it wrong. I would put my money on Tot.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/thoth

Stark Raven

I think the correct way is Tot, like"tiny tots," or perhaps like toate like "toast"

Also keep in mind "th" isn't always a "the" sound like in English. Tet in Hebrew would also be written as a th, but it was originally guttural in nature, differentiating it from the Tau sound of which comes from the tongue.

Also, it is highly doubtful how Egyptian was pronounced anyway (Thoth is the Greek version) so the validity even of Tehuti is suspect. It also isn't a question of correct, so much as many people can just say it wrong. I would put my money on Tot.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/thoth

Wow, there is another pronunciation yet on that link.

Richard

I pronounce it tote (the final te slightly softer than the initial t), similar to the German word for death, Tod. In Coptic, I believe the spelling is something like ΘΩΘ. In ancient Greek, theta (Θ) is ambiguous and may be pronounced either as a hard t or slightly softer, more like th or German final d. Omega (Ω) is usually a long o. However, there ain't no ancient Egyptians around to tell us how they pronounced it.

Juliana

"Toth" here. I don't have any confidence that it is the sole "right" way to pronounce it, but it is the way I have heard the most by those I feel are knowledgable on the topic, so that is what I go with.

Stark Raven

I pronounce it tote. In Coptic, I believe the spelling is something like ΘΩΘ. In ancient Greek, theta (Θ) is ambiguous and may be pronounced either t or th. Omega (Ω) is usually a long o. However, there ain't no ancient Egyptians around to tell us how they pronounced it.

Thanks, understood. I am curious to see if anyone uses any of the less commonly heard pronunciations. On that link that closrapexa posted, one suggested pronunciation appears to be - Taut or Thaut. It seems as if it would be a 'cow' like vowel sound. That has to be some off interpretation... but on this word it seems to be to each their own.

I was using the pronunciation toth, but I now am developing a preference for tote.

Richard

"Toth" here. I don't have any confidence that it is the sole "right" way to pronounce it, but it is the way I have heard the most by those I feel are knowledgable on the topic, so that is what I go with.
No one is particularly knowledgeable about the pronunciation of ancient languages.

Stark Raven

I developed a preference for 'toth' after hearing someone I know say it. He is the type of person many would strive to be, this without trying particularly hard. That's why I hung onto it for a while. But the next choice will be more about me.

I mean - I am the person I have always strived to be, that without trying too particularly hard :)

Sulis

I pronounce it 'Tothe' with a hard 'T' as in 'teeth' so that it rhymes with 'both'.

I've heard it pronounced with two 'th' sounds as in 'the' and I think it makes the person sound as if they have some sort of lisp - just doesn't sound right to me.

Juliana

No one is particularly knowledgeable about the pronunciation of ancient languages.

I meant knowledgeable about the deck, not the language necessarily.