How do YOU pronounce Thoth?

ravenest

I pronounce it tote (the final te slightly softer than the initial t), similar to the German word for death, Tod. In Coptic, I believe the spelling is something like ΘΩΘ. In ancient Greek, theta (Θ) is ambiguous and may be pronounced either as a hard t or slightly softer, more like th or German final d. Omega (Ω) is usually a long o. However, there ain't no ancient Egyptians around to tell us how they pronounced it.

Djeh - heuti

You're welcome :)

VioletEye

I pronounce it 'Tothe' with a hard 'T' as in 'teeth' so that it rhymes with 'both'.

yep, this is how i pronounce it, rhymes with "both".

there is a mardi gras krewe here in new orleans called the krewe of thoth, and that is how we all pronounce it here!

ravenest

Thanks, understood. I am curious to see if anyone uses any of the less commonly heard pronunciations. On that link that closrapexa posted, one suggested pronunciation appears to be - Taut or Thaut. It seems as if it would be a 'cow' like vowel sound. That has to be some off interpretation... but on this word it seems to be to each their own.

I was using the pronunciation toth, but I now am developing a preference for tote.

Interesting as Cow and Thoth are related. Thoth can be depicted with a Moon Crown (or a full Moon and crescent moon or a sun moon crown. Hathor (cow goddess) also has a moon crown between cow horns

(this is because cows follow a Moon cycle in their activities and rest and rumination ... not like us who follow a day night cycle ... cows can all - in a locality - go to sleep together in the middle of the day or be grazing in the middle of the night ... they follow a cycle which is like a 'Lunar Liber Resh' ;

http://www.astro-calendar.com/shtml/Research/CowTimes2.shtml )

Which, is evident, the ancient Egyptians knew about.

ravenest

I pronounce it like 'Thawth' with a soft 'th' at either end. On a couple of occasions my pronunciation has been called into question. At such times I have fallen back on an alternative pronunciation which sounds uncannily like the english word, 'tough'. :D

Oh no ... your pronunciation is perfect ... for an Aussie :laugh:

Stark Raven

Fair dinkum mate. :thumbsup:

I see, so that's how it is. The same euphemism is used in England, the Queen's English one. That kind of goes without saying though one would suppose :)

Richard

Djeh - heuti

You're welcome :)
Are hieroglyphics phonetic? If so, do we know how they are pronounced? It is not even known for sure how the ancient Romans pronounced Latin.

Mystic Zyl

I say toth...I always giggle when people do the hard "th" sound for the begining of the word. The "o" is the short "o"sound ...as in english you need a vowel following the "o" like oa to make a long "o" sound.

Stark Raven

I just thought of a possible alternate pronunciation. It, just like the phonetically pronounced 'Thoth' doesn't roll off of the tongue. I bet no one says it either. How about Thot or Thote...? Anyone? Anyone?

gregory

"The Crowley Deck" :D

But otherwise - as you see it. Or Foff :D